main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Apprentice Discussion Board

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cerassi, Nov 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't see them getting a romantic interest anytime soon (though I would pin my bets on Qui-Gon and Thaal!).

As to classes, I disagree. I think the idea is that the Jedi "apprentice" system hearkens to the Middle Ages, not modern high school.

That is where children leaving their families for the Order comes from. In the Middle Ages, children would be sent to the monasteries when they were toddlers, and would grow up there. Also, children would be fostered out to other families or to Guildmasters pretty much by the time they were old enough to walk (5-6), and except in the lowest peasant families, really didn't grow up with their parents at all.

I get the impression that the initiates complete the class training by the age of 12/13, then team up with one Master for practical training & field work. They may still go back to the Temple for additional "class" training, or lectures, but mostly they learn through observation and hands on training in the "real" world. Perhaps they keep up with academic classes through correspondence courses? The one problem I have with a lot of the JA fanfic I've read is that it's a bit too "Saved by the Bell" to be credible. This is not a school; it is a quasi-religious organization, and I think the training is very different from what many people envision.

But that's just me...

:)

Renata

2. Cerassi

Cerassi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    dude i agree..i don't consider obi-wan's life in terms of high school years or whatever..as far as i see it, he is the apprentice and he will be like that until episode one..and well we all know what happens after that. It is his apprentice years now...he's not entering a new era...he has already when qui-gon chose him.

Oh and also..i've always wondered about love interests because obiwan is getting older. I kinda doubt that Jedi Knights have love interests although look at Luke...
    but seriously..Qui-gon with a girlfriend? sounds odd and i doubt they would go into that for these books because the demographic is probably younger kids.

I have to admit though, it would be interesting to see how the author would deal with Obi-wan having a crush or something along those lines. I wonder what will happen..because if anyone read the Young Jedi Knights there was a little love interest but very very little...I think the authors keep it clean for their market of readers.

3. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I don't see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon having a lot of girlfriends. I don't think it's banned by the Council to engage in relationships but I think their work makes it almost impossible. Still, I'm sure Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had at least one great love. I'm sure there will be a book on that someday.

4. loontexas

loontexas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001
    since i havent read all of the books, can any1 here tell me if xanatos lives? i was really hoping for the slight possibility that he could appear later in the future SW books, or maybe an apprentice of his (hed be 70 years older if he were, but the emperor was pretty old, so....).

5. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    He killed himself in JA #8 when he was defeated and cornered by Qui and Obi. He jumped into a boiling pit. He's dead as far as we know.

6. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    In regards to DarthPipes post, I hope no one thinks the series has been ruined for them <g>. The books with Xanatos in them were quite a while ago, so if this is spoiling someone's day, I apologise in advance.

But my point here is, I wish that there had been a body. Somehow I get the impression that maybe Xanatos faked his death, and we might just see him rearing his handsome head up in some future book.

Just my humble opinion of course. But doesn't an ending like that leave it wide open for other possibilities? I wonder...

7. Cerassi

Nov 20, 2000
    Hadn't he dissapeared and then reapeared already? It is possible he could have faked it but bringing him back doesn't seem like it would work with the rest of the books because we already moved onto the next foe and big trial Obi-wan and Qui-gon have to defeat. It would seem weird if the author thought to bring Xanatos back after all that. But who knows...it would be pretty neat to see it again. I'm about to read #13, just bought it!
    We can all talk about #13 then. If you have read it what did you think were the highs and lows of the books? (best and worst part? etc)

-Cerassi
    mtfbwy

8. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Highs:
    Spoilers!!!

Return of Siri and Adi
    Some solid Qui-Gon incite on Obi-Wan, good interaction between the characters.
    A fun story with a lot going on.

Lows:

Rushed ending
    Comic characters are getting annoying
    We never get to even hear the kidnapped Jedi speak. A shame, especially considering his interesting retirement.

9. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Did anyone else read the update on the Special Edition? It said that the mystery or whatever from Kenobi's past has something to do with revenge.

Hmmm...So how all has a bone to pick with him?

10. Cerassi

Nov 20, 2000
    What special edition update? Where can i read it? (is it a book or an article on starwars.com or sumthin?) Coolness! I wonder if the author of Jedi Apprentice will pick up the revenge theme.....hmmmmm! Interesting indeed!

~Cerassi

11. Cerassi

Nov 20, 2000
  12. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
  13. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Check TF.N Books section, maybe, I read it from a link on the main page. If I remember correctly they said it was the Amazon.com description anyways, but I'd check TFN Books first just to be safe.

14. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I loved the way the JA books touch upon larger themes and still keep it focused for its younger readers' demographic. Watson pulled that off very well throughout the series.

As for Xanatos anyone that dies like that is just begging to brought back. Its the same for Doctor Doom and every supervilian just ask the folks at Marvel, DC, or As the world turns.(actually there's no supervilians but you have people coming back from the dead there too)
    Maybe he's the one that seeks revenge on Obi-wan. Watson is writing the JA Special Edition isn't she.

15. ShallowEarth

ShallowEarth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2000
    Yes, Jude Watson is writing the Special Addition it is coming out in August according to my local book store who kindly orders them for me (they usually get them earlier than even Amazon or B&N, Hurray!).
    I have really enjoy the series. Especailly the tidbits about QuiGon! I really like #11 because we got to see his stuboness get the better of him and his dialog with the other Jedi was great.

16. thx1138-the-jedi

thx1138-the-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2001
    I LOVE JEDI APPRENTICE!!! if not for those books i would have turned to the dark side by know, i am very sad they will soon be leaving my life. OHHHHHH how i love them!!! favorite book: The defenders of the dead.
    favorite character: Cerasi, after reading the book i changed my name to cerasi, my mum wont call me that though. starting to bug me but my christion name is good to it is actually the name of a background cahracter in JEDI APPRENTICE. I love JEDI APPRENTICE!!! all i want to say now is thank you jude watson.

p.s: did i mention i love JEDI APPRENTICE?

P.P.S: i can hear you thinking "SHUT UP THX1138-THE-JEDI"

17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    You're just excited. It's okay. We understand.

18. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    How old is this thread?

People are talking about finding the special edition that came out months ago. Snd who ever was talking about Tahl and Qui-gon hooking up, obviously have not read "The ties that Bind" of "The death of hope" This is really funny I feel like I am writing from the future and I already know what is going to happen next in the series...

19. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    It started last November. It just got upped recently, that's all...

It's very generic, if anyone had anything relevant to say it could be resurrected. Force knows, the most recent books leave lots of room for potential.

SPOILER for #15

(Personally, I'm disappointed that Tahl turned out to be just another Mara Sue, and the whole "dies in his arms/he vows revenge" is the cheesiest form of melodrama. Like we didn't see it coming a mile away. Sorry, Jude, you dropped the ball! IMHO... But I guess she's targeting the books at kids...)

20. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Spoiler Space

Okay, I agree I did see this one coming from a mile away too. Still I did find it sad. Altough I really don't think tje age group that the series is intended dir will enjoy this entire "Romance thing"
    Never the less I am still eagerly awaiting the arrival of "The call to vegance" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.