main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Apprentice Special Edition (Spoilers!!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Pipes, Jun 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I found my issue at Borders. Waldenbooks in my mall didn't have it.

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I went into both chapters and coles bookstores and neither of them had it, I so mad! so know I ust have to keep looking for it and waiting:>(

3. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Does anyone have anything to say on the story itself? I'm curious to know.

4. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    It was pretty cool seeing one of Obi-Wan's friends again. It'll be great to see Anakin and Bant meet.

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Yes, it is likely that Kern was working for Palpatine, at least in the "Twelve Years Later..." section. As for Bant, we know she is still alive as of Deceptions, and she did get accepted as a Padawan Learner, according to Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, although her master remains unknown.

As for the book itself, I did not like the way Jude Watson split up the story into two sections, rather then one running story with flashbacks, as she did in The Dark Rival. It was like reading two different books. Anakin's character is consistent with Rouge Planet, which takes place not long after this book. It was also good learning what happened to Offworld. It looks like they're setting them up to be the bad guys for future Special Editions. This is one of the best Jedi Apprentice books yet!

TC

6. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    I liked how Watson set up both the past and the future. Offworld might be a villian. I can see a new leader taking over. Hopefully, it won't be the same "let's overthrow a government" type of story.

7. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    im about halfway. picked it up friday at Waldenbooks. but im in the process of moving so not a lot of reading time right now.

i think its great so far, ive been a fan of this series since it started. the only thing i am missing, maybe, maybe not, is some Obiwan visions of the future. i want him to forsee something about Anakin becoming Vader....maybe a dark shadow rising. kinda like how Quigon saw an old figure living alone in the desert and thought it to be himself, only to later realize it was Obiwan he was seeing.

please tell me if there are any good foreshadowings. i dont care about spoilers.

8. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    O.k. is there anybody that lives in Canada

that has found this book yet? It seems to me

that I'm the only person that has not read

it yet. So what bookstores has it been

showing up in? I live in Ontario.
    Thanks

9. kaijueiga

kaijueiga Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    "i think its great so far, ive been a fan of this series since it started. the only thing i am missing, maybe, maybe not, is some Obiwan visions of the future. i want him to forsee something about Anakin becoming Vader....maybe a dark shadow rising. kinda like how Quigon saw an old figure living alone in the desert and thought it to be himself, only to later realize it was Obiwan he was seeing."

You hit it right on the nose. Qui-Gon saw a glimpse of Obi-Wan's future in the JA novel, The Fight For Truth. And although in the book, Deceptions, Anakin doesn't see "visions" into his dark future, but clearly his thoughts (to the readers) are foreshadows of things that eventually take place.

10. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    Anakin's thoughts on the nature of forgiveness are plenty of foreshadowing. I found his questions and his problem comprenhending how a son could forgive his father of some pretty nasty crimes, spooky.

And very tragic.

11. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    That was good. It also shows you how close Anakin and Shmi were. He never had a trust problem with her...not that he should.

Also, Anakin's reaction to learning about Xanatos. He is shocked to discover that an apprentice could betray his master. He thinks that if he hadn't heard it from Obi-Wan, he wouldn't have believe it. Definately another highlight.

12. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Hopefully some of you that were having difficulty finding the book have done so now. It is a good 'piece to the puzzle' that is SW. :)

Anyway, I agree with some of the other posters that mentioned the foreshadowing of Anakin's thoughts. I especially like how it shows that Anakin really admires Obi-Wan.

*The future would come, he told himself. At that moment, all he felt was grateful that he had Obi-Wan to show him the way.*

One thing that struck me strange, though, was toward the beginning of the second part where it portrays Anakin as staying isolated from all of the other Jedi students. For
    some reason, I envisioned him being a bit more friendly and sociable after the way he appeared to be in TPM. Anyone else have a thought about that? I know he feels different from the others, but I didn't think he would totally seperate himself. Oh, well... just my ranting!

One line from Obi-Wan that was cool was on page 102 when he's quite fed up with waiting to meet Uni. He's given them the ultimatum to meet him in ten minutes or have the 'full power' of the Senate unleashed against them. Anakin is somewhat stunned by his master's action and asks if Obi-Wan would really do that.....

*"Jedi do not threaten," Obi-Wan said. "We inform."*

I love it! ;)

13. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    I think Anakin will be friendly with other Jedi. It'll take time. They really don't know what to make of him and are probably jealous that's he's already a Padawan to begin his training.

14. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I finished Deceptions early this morning, and I loved it. Definately an Obi-Wan story, but I like Anakin in this. I loved seeing him between TPM and the next movie (wasn't impressed with RP). I found it so interesting to note that Anakin cannot grasp the reason for Kern's forgiveness of Vox. Someday, I have a feeling he will understand. ;) I also thought that his description of the folks on the skip was right on as to HIS OWN FEELINGS!

~*~Bria

15. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    That's cool, Bria. :) I also liked how Anakin was so disappointed to learn that the Jedi cancelled the starfighter program. Anakin will give them hell for that! ;)

16. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
  17. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Totally, Darth Pipes!

I also wonder what happened to Tahl. If we see her die in JA, it wrecked the impact, because we knew she was gone. :(

I am curious as to who took Bant as their padawan though. I think she's a great character! ;)

Can't wait for Jedi Quest! :)

~*~Bria

18. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    okie i finished it last night. plenty of foreshadowing. im satistfied. though i am surprised that jude watson is coming in so low on the favorite authors pole.

i think the casting of anakin as always feeling seperate from the others is dead on. i loved where he told obi about the people on the ship feeling sad. and how no one will ever understand him. great book!

btw. how many people think the stolen plans of the Biocruiser will somehow end up in a star destroyer design?

19. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Jude Watson isn't my favorite EU author, but I do like her work.

I liked reading the article on her in the newest Star Wars Insider. :)

~*~Bria

20. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    I'm surprised Watson isn't higher.

Agreed. I liked how Obi-Wan trusted Anakin's insights. It shows a great deal of confidence in his abilities.

That article was great.

21. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    F.Y.I
    For anybody that is intrested you can go to

scholastic.com and read a sample chapter of

this new book:)

22. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    The next two books for JA are called "The Ties that Bind" and "The Death of Hope." Intriguing, especially the latter.

23. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    The program was cancelled because of sabotage, and now that the sabotage has been uncovered, the program will come back.

24. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    This is a spoiler section for the JA Special Edition...NOT for Episode 2! :mad:

25. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Yeah, but I thought official information (what Lucasfilm releases) isn't considered a spoiler on here, only unofficial spy reports. Kind of a dumb rule, if you don't want to know ANYTHING about the new movie, who cares where you hear it from?

Hope I didn't ruin anything for anyone though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.