main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jedi Archive - Practical Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Antpocalypse, Feb 2, 2016.

1. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005

Wow…thats an awesome poster there.

2. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Wonderful work, you are the hero we need.

Huttese 101 and Antpocalypse like this.
  3. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    It might have something to do with if memory serves that Ep. II and III were shot using digital cameras? I think. I could be wrong though...

Something I also found interesting in the bonus features on TFA Blu ray is that all the work done by the crew on TFA both practical and digital was pioneered by the first 6 movies including integrating the digital into the practical for example Unkar Plutt from the scenes filmed in Abu Dabi.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    What year is that vanity flair picture from ? I am guessing 2005. At the time of the ROTS.

5. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you! :D

Yeah, it's from Feb 2005 apparently. http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/06/starwars_portfolio200506

It's the second image in that slideshow.

6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
  7. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Though this was the end of the age of Lucas, it had saved its best for last.

8. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    Added the following to the Jedi Archive >

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also updated some pictures and put them in the correct places thanks to one Ian Potash on Dropbox who notified me of 4 incorrectly identified pictures.

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    This is intense. Props to all the work you put into it. I mean, you've assigned the PT its very own Holocron(?) Wow.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Taken when?????

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Meme thief

Darth Basin and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    That was the old Del. I've changed alot since February.

Now I just steal gifs.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

AshiusX and Deliveranze like this.
  14. JediMasterAang

JediMasterAang Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2015
  15. Palpameme66_IG

Palpameme66_IG Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2021
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    WOW! This is incredible! I only found this thread today via a reddit rabbit hole and I can safely say you did an excellent job sir.
    I can appreciate how much effort would have gone into this as I too in 2019 started to build my own public archive/ portfolio of every single miniature in the prequels. I was concerned that many images showing these models existed on forums just like this, and that over time the image-hosting services were becoming defunct and no-longer showing these photos - essentially losing many of these images in the process if they couldn't be easily found elsewhere. So I took it upon myself to create a catalogue of every single one. Every single photo of prequel miniatures that I could find online, in books, old magazines, you name it, so that they could all be stored in a single database and be preserved for the future. When I spoke about the project with ILM model-making royalty Fon Davis, he informed me that this was great as the only complete log of all the models built was currently held in the ILM archive and is not available to the public. So I continued my quest with the PRACTICAL PREQUELS PROJECT online on various image hosting sites and social media to help spread these images and open people's eyes who may not have once appreciated the incredible model-making that went into this trilogy.

I noticed that your archive is dedicated to general behind the scenes images which is great, as mine focuses much more heavily on the scale miniatures. These models were surprisingly well documented at the time (even if some never had behind the scenes photos taken of them according to Fon who has been my go-to word-of-mouth source for any questions I have had, and has been instrumental to discovering some of these truly lost miniatures). In the archive so far I have catalogued, sorted and named with individual codes, over 1000 images of more than 100 individual different miniatures across the trilogy, plus hundreds more images of other behind the scenes practical sets, props, puppets, prosthetics and more. I noticed a few errors in your archive and would be happy to advise any revisions if you wanted (E.g. there are miniatures used for sets in the droid factory sequence, so it isn't a 100% CG sequence).

"The biggest problem in this universe is that nobody helps each other.." ~ Anakin Sandwalker, 1999

If my catalogue can be of any help to you in terms of completing your own I am more than happy to share the Google drive and other resources down below. This is a passion project of mine that I have been working on independently for the last 3 years or so, and this is only the beginning. There is always more left to discover.
    ~ Palpameme
    Creator of the Practical Prequels Project

Google Drive Miniatures Folder:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yqMLYXJ_WFm9p_DL7hOYaUGFp2F7D9QK?usp=share_link

Guide to Formatting & Nomenclature:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ia9sykS-268VLuy1qcAcraZC-a6IiAE5rknjvsiECRo/edit?usp=share_link

Basic form of the Miniature Log, listing each individual model discovered so far (and a few query-able ones):
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U2q5tK50fj8dmeY-iXaJgeDwoUWfVgw-Jjf-TCnryos/edit?usp=share_link

General Google Drive containing everything I have collected so far: (Only the MINIATURES folder has been formatted properly so far - the other folders are in a state of incompletion)
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gfgTrbl0cc4vIqbwdgZE-3miy8Z6UsQE?usp=share_link

Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/practical_prequels/

Linktree to various other sources/socials of mine related to the project:
    https://linktr.ee/Palpameme_66

P.S. Hopefully this thread isn't dead and people still read this lol XD

16. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    1 has a lot of rich color too, all those robes and such and 1-3 were set at the decadent height of the Republic and often on major worlds, big cities, etc. they should have a lot of places that look different.