main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Attachments

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IDontLikeYouEither, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDontLikeYouEither

IDontLikeYouEither Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    The Jedi seem to make such a big deal about having no attachments, right? And there is all this hubub over taking in children when they are very young to be trained by the Jedi, right? It seems to me that being too old has to do with having time to form attachments with family and culture, rather than some magic age when the force is easily taught. If all this is the case, then why are there so many Jedi with obvious cultural and familial relations? Why doesn't Barris Offee wear the Jedi robes like everyone else, or Aayala Secura? Why does Dooku know that he has a family fortune and title to return to after leaving the Jedi? Why do Adi Gallia and Stass Allie wear those funky headdresses? Why does Ki-Adi-Mundi get to have a family? I know that his race has a low birthrate or something, but still, I thought that that the Jedi were supposed to renounce their former attachments, shouldn't that apply to race as well as family?

It would seem that the Jedi aren't as strict as we are lead to believe. In that case, it seems that Anakin has another argument against the Jedi. They hold him to a double-standard. He is the chosen one, but he is supposed to be just another Jedi. At the same time, he observes all these exceptions made for others in the Order. Others that he knows aren't as capable as he is. No wonder he loses it.

2. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Some of your questions appear EU based; however, to answer your query(ies) in a simple matter the Jedi are not allowed attachments, this is true, but Jedi are still allowed to differentiate themselves from one another such as in terms of dress.

What Jedi strive to avoid is making these distinctions vices. That is the difference.

Dooku knows of his family because he left the Jedi order; Ki-Adi-Mundi having a family smells of EU.

Ciou-See the Sig

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I think this would go better in the Literature forums since it deals with a lot of EU. However, there is a discussion to be made using just the films. Consider for example, Jedis being forbidden attachment yet letting Luke be raised into adulthood by family.

Also, from a visual point of view, Jedis do seem to have cultural attachemnts, if not they would all dress the same.

4. IDontLikeYouEither

IDontLikeYouEither Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    Well, it would seem that the Jedi let go of their "strict" adherence to the code in regards to Luke.

As for the backgrounds of those Jedi, I got that information from the OS just poking around, I'm not sure what sources it came from originally. If this belongs in the Lit. Forum, so be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.