Jedi Belt

Discussion in 'Binghamton, NY' started by TreborGahKor, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Okay, I'm excited as I just got my new Tandy Leather Catalogue in the mail. I'm even more excited because I found out that the catalogue comes with a ten dollar gift certificate good at any Tandy Leather store (say the one in Syracuse). Anyway, I plan on going to Syracuse in a few weeks and stopping at the Tandy Leather store to get some leather, etc. for the Jedi Belt. I have a few questions first, before I go to get materials:

1.) How do I determine how much leather I need and what widths do you suggest for the leather (I know there are two widths, but what are they)?

2.) What kind of leather do I want? There are two distinct types in the catalogue, a lighter colored version called "natural cowhide strips" and a darker colored "latigo cowhide strips".

3.) The "spikes" that you used, are they called spikes? If that's the case, then I found the screwback versions (I figure they'll be easier to work with)

4.) The front buckle - What do you suggest getting for the front buckle on the belt?

I would love to at least walk away with all the materials in one trip. And if you can't tell I'm really jazzed up about being in this group.

Progress Report: My bowcaster is seriously under way. After a week of working on it, I have the stalk cut out, sanded down, and even sanded in a grip for my hands. I managed to get a cheap $7 scope in the sports dept. of Walmart (airgun style) for the bowcaster, and I've started putting together the shevling peices for that. I have made the front of my bowcaster out of bent and cut tin from a piece of gutter trim and wood balls from A.C. Moore. I may have the bowcaster done by next week. That would be sweet and if I do, I'll make sure I post some pics on the boards here.
  2. jackboot Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is one way to make a jedi belt. I have seen many others and they are good as well.
    I would take one 2 ½? strip about 1 and 1/4 times my waste. I would take 3 1/4? off that belt to make the guide loop. Attach the guide loop perpendicular to the main belt at one end sewing the guide loop front to the main belt back at the top and bottom ¼? or so. That should allow for a tight fit for the other end of the belt to slide into the guide loop.
    Now that the guide loop is made, put on the belt and figure out where the middle should be. Mark the middle on the inside with a pencil. Measure about 6? on either side from the middle and that is where the first set of studs should be. Another set can be 6? back from them. That should be about all you need. You can always add more at closer intervals if you feel it necessary. The inner belt should be ¾? and the same length as the outer. You will be taking just enough off the ends to make loops around the inner belt folded back on its self. It should be about two 1 1/2? strips. Sew them in a loop so they slop over the inner belt without resistance. You should be able to put the inner belt tip through the loop again on either side, it should be snug. The belt buckle can be any number of things but I recommend the one that I have is east and cheep. I got it at A.C. Moore, Joann?s or Michaels something and it is just a pair of interlocking thick wire loops. Many people like it but there are any number of buckle styles that look good. It looks better, no matter what buckle you use, if it is metal. Plastic buckles and ones that are plastic painted to look metallic just don?t look as good.

The real variation in belt construction is the main belt back. Since no one ever sees it you can do any number of things with it. You can, instead of having the guide loop, attach a strip of ¾? leather to each side and make it a regular adjustable belt. You could even use the inner belt to do that and have the main belt just a strip held on by the studs. It might work better if you cut slots in the back of the main belt so the inner belt can go through and under the main belt at the back.
    You can see that there are any number of variations but the main thing is:
    1) It is leather about 2 ½? for the main belt and ¾? for the inner belt.
    2) There are rounded studs at about 6? intervals around the belt to hold the main belt to the inner belt.
    3) There is a metal buckle in front.
    4) There should be leather loops around the inner belt next to the buckle in front.

The leather type is up to you but I chose the ?veg tan? because I was going to die it anyway. I died it a deep brown that I thought looked great. I liked the water based die but it really doesn?t matter which you use. If you use die use gloves and don?t touch the die. It will turn you hands colors for weeks. I know I did it. When you die the leather go over it with a damp paper towel just before you apply the die. It will allow less color into the leather at a time. Let it dry for 8hrs or so before applying die again. One or two coats should be enough. I died it in one and didn?t use the damp paper towel. It worked but came out very dark. I died it first then made the belt. It is easier to die all at once in one or two strips rather than a bunch of little pieces.
    I hope this helps. You can call if you need more detailed help or have specific questions.
    -JB
  3. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    THANKS!! That definetly gets me started! :)
  4. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Okay, my wife and I may be heading to Sryacuse this weekend for leather. We were looking at the directions together and have a general idea of what we need to do. Can I ask you a question however? Could you either post here or send me an email with pics of the belt from different angles? It would help to visualize it a little more.
  5. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't know if these'll help you or not, but I have a few pics of Anakin's EIII belt that I took at the exhibit at CIII.
    And, your post made me realize that I don't have any pictures of my own belt even. I'll have to remember to do that...

~Doc_Bev
  6. jackboot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I posted belt pictures on the Binghamton Fan Force Yahoo Group Picture section. Check them out if you are interested.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.