main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi belts

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Apprentice_Anakin, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apprentice_Anakin

Apprentice_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Sep 17, 2001
    Hi. I'm making an Anakin Jedi Garb Episode II costume. Does anybody know where I could buy a Jedi belt, either online or a belt that looks similar that I could get at a store. Any info would help. I'm not interested on any of the equipment and items on the belt (yet) just the belt itself. Thanx

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I highly recommend you check out Doug Sullivan's Jedi Belt Tutorial

As for where to buy (WTB) them, there are three people who sell Jedi belts. I PMed the information to you.

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I went to a Tandy Leather dealer and bought the leather, 2 different buckle ideas and Chicago screws all for about $40 CDN including tax.

Apprentice Anakin is a member of YJN also, so I can help him with his belt if he wants.

4. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    And I put the whole thing together in just a few hours!!

Proud maker/owner of an authentically styled prequel era Jedi utility belt.

5. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I just got my belt blanks from Shopforleather.com the other day. I am in the process of dyeing them. The dyeing is a bit tough. It was hard to get the color solid. I thought I saw a spray on leather dye at a shoe store.. Anyone try that before?

6. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Sorry, my belt is plain old black leather. No dyeing involved.

But I had someone else ask me why not buy the right coloured leather to begin with? As I needed black leather for my costume, I didn't bother looking at the browns.

Is it that the Jedi belts are an odd shade of brown that can only be achieved by dyeing, or are people dyeing the leather to give it a worn in look?

7. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    The site I found the strips only had Black, veggie tan or Burgundy. I thought the Burgundy was too red and I didn't want black. I think it turned out ok dyeing it though..

8. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well I went back to the Tandy Leather dealer here in town (apparently the company is now call Heritan). Not only could they cut me any length or width of belt material I need, they informed me they can also dye and "antique" the leather to give it a more lived in look!

Maybe next time save the trouble of all the dyeing by requesting it to be pre-done.

On a side note, I went back because I wanted to redo the wide part of the belt. I used a 2 inch wide precut piece. The proportions however just looked a bit off compared to the Ep 2 publicity stills that showed a Jedi belt. Then I noticed it.

The food capsules are the same height as the belt is wide! So measure the pen cap, add a bit for the round tip at the bottom and come up with 2.25 inches.

The center belt is a 3/4 inch one, so with a 2.25 in belt it covers the middle third exactly, and frankly just looks better. That extra quarter inch makes the difference.

Even the Episode 1 belts appear to match the width, so unless they used a longer pen cap of the same style, I'd say all the Jedi belts are 2.25 inches wide. The biggest difference in the Obi-Wan belt is the thin belt, his looks to be a 1/2 inch wide, compared to the 3/4 inch wide one that Anakin and Mace wear in Episode 2.

9. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Because I am a bigger guy I went with the 3 inch belt strip. It just looked better on me that way.

10. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    how do you go about dying leather... my belt is a little bit too light brown, and i'd like it darker...

11. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    I got some leather Dye at a shoe store. It had a little cotton brush on it that you use to brush on the dye. It didn't turn out solid but now that I look at it, it kind of looks worn that way so I am going to leave it. I will get some pictures of it. I wish I could afford some of those cool pouches Jedi Toren found. I had to make my pouches out of vinyl so they are the weakest part of my belt.

12. AZLineUp

AZLineUp Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    Looks like the costume people at lucasfilm want to make it harder for us,, or easier if you will

after taking a look at the Borders Episode II display which has a full-size picture on it, I have noted a few things

the large belt is made out of 2 pieces of thinner leather, sewn together with a total of 7 stitch lines(starting about 1cm from each end) and is about 3 1/2" in wide..

The inner belt is made out of the same thin leather and has 2 stitches about 1/8" from each end.. It looks to be an inch wide

The buckle is like one you can grab just about anywhere, and is a dark silver with weathering on it,, I can't remember if it is a darker buckle with lighter weathering or a light buckle with dark weathering,, I am leaning towards the latter..

The buttons that hold the inner belt on are the same Sam Browne type you can pick up at the leather factory for under a buck (if you have the connections)

The food capsules are held onto the inner belt this time, in groups of 4 and all have a different color, and they start about 2-3" behind the first placement of SB Buttons

here are the colors going from front to back (I'm guessing it's a mirror image for both sides, in case they have to flip the image)

I have the sequence from front to back
    SILVER
    GOLD
    COPPER
    GUNMETAL (Dark Silver)

The fabric sash is still 6"

The Lightsaber slip is about an inch behind the food capsules and the pouches are pretty much the same as the Episode I pouches(thank the maker)

Other than that,, nothing much else I noted,, just that the belt is a lighter color than the leather tabbards and is the same as the boots

13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Belt buckle enthusiast(s) - use this thread.

Woozer - thanks for the heads up. :)

14. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Who?

Sheesh, and anyone who thinks being Blue has an advantage....

15. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    LOL!! We all love ya Woofer. ;)

16. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Update and a new query.

I finally had some time to redo the main part of my belt with the 2.25 inch wide piece, replacing the 2 inch one. Much nicer IMHO.

Now, my request.

I need pouches! Are there any patterns out there for the prequel style pouches? I have some black pleather (got cheap) that I could use. I also was thinking of gluing the pleather onto smallish containers and making a pouch that way.

I'm not looking for accurate reproductions. But I would like to have something that is at least similar to the "standard" complement of pouches, and approximately the same size.

Any pointers? Thanks.

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i just ordered belt strap, dye, and utility knife from tandy leather. can't wait! :D

as far as pouches go, there's some pretty good info on padawansguide.com. that's about all i know on that.

18. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    up... still looking for pouch ideas, patterns, etc

19. jedimindstate

jedimindstate Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    I remember seeing two Jedi belts for sale on Parks Sabers site. I don't remember what they looked like or if they would look good with Anakins' AOTC robes but they did appear to be made really well. Anyway check it out.
    the site is parksabers.com

20. JediMasterMiller

JediMasterMiller Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    I am interested in purchasing a jedi belt to complete my costume & have looked at Park's & MP Productions... Any advice or other retailers to check into?

21. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  22. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    If anyone was looking for a nice Sith belt, go to a local Army supply store. They usually have fun stuff called web gear will all kinds of pouches and stuff.

And, for the female jedi who wanted the loose kind that barely hang onto the hips, web gear is PERFECT. :)

23. Jedi_Master_Sigler

Jedi_Master_Sigler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    What is that long tunic - coloured sash that is under the Jedis' belts? These sashes run paralell with the belts themselves. Anyone know that this is?

24. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    JMS, I believe you are referring to the obi.

-sg

25. vlps

vlps Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 11, 2002
    I boucht a fake leather belt for ?4 in a nearby "Bricorama" (a "do it at yourself store" :) )
    Some belt pouches in a knife store: ?10
    A commlink: ?5
    Some pens (food capsules): ?3
    CO² capsules (bombs) 2 of them: ?1.60*2= ?3.20
    An old miniphone (bomb timer) ?0
    some aluminium stuff (lightsaber): ?0
    a climbinfg hook (for hanging my saber): ?0.50
    my old kimono: ?7.5
    beige trousers: ?7.5
    horse rideboots ?10
    robe ?4.3

4+10+5+3+3.20+0+0+0.50+7.5+7.5+10 = ?55