main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Jedi between ROTS and ROTJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Aaronaman, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Now excuse me if this question has been asked before but what happened to all the Jedi that went into hiding at the end of ROTS up until Yodas death in ROTJ.

Obi-Wan sends out a message to all surviving Jedi to stay away from the Temple as its come under attack which makes me think there were a few Jedi who weren't killed during the completion of order 66. Yet in ROTJ Yoda tells Luke that once he's dead 'the last of the Jedi you will be'...what about Leia, yes I know she wasnt trained but she proved when saving Luke from Bespin that she was strong with the force, surely she must be counted amoung the Jedi order?

Also the Jedi that survived order 66 why did they not search out and train new Jedi apprentices so they could rebuild the Jedi order, it seems like they just gave up their teachings and let the galaxy fend for itself....Yoda managed to hide from the Sith and he was the strongest Jedi still alive so lesser Jedi must have been able to go un-noticed somewhere in the huge galaxy without Vader or Sidious feeling their presence.

And lastly how did Yoda know that Luke was the last of the Jedi...he'd been in hiding on Dagobah for a long time and he can't have felt every living Jedi in the entire galaxy could he?

jedi_barry_jones likes this.
  2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    This is explored in EU to certain extent, though my knowledge of it is scarce to say the least. There are some survivors of Order 66, but they mostly go into hiding, which makes it hard for the remaining Jedi to recruit new padawans. A video game The Force Unleashed sort of deals with this. In the beginning you get to play with Vader and we find out how the Empire goes about killing off the remaining Jedi.

My personal view is that you can't be counted amongst the Jedi Order just because you are force-sensitive. So Luke basically IS the last remaining Jedi when Yoda dies (not counting the EU, I don't really care for it, especially if in it there are some other remaining Jedi at the time). Yoda passed on all knowledge that he could have in his limited time with Luke. That makes Luke the last remaining Jedi in the galaxy. Not the last remaining force-sensitive being, but the last OF the JEDI.

"when gone am I the last of the jedi you will be"

3. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I don't take the EU version from the game as the 'real' events.

Tracking down the remaining Jedi would have been a huge undertaking for Vader and surely he would have done everything in his power to track down the two strongest Jedi remaining, Yoda and Obi-Wan, but he didn't or couldn't?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A lot happens between RoTS and The Force Unleashed, in the EU. Vader fights lots of Jedi, and tries to find Obi-Wan Kenobi- unsuccessfully. He's even lured into ambushes with false news that Obi-Wan Kenobi is there- but survives.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Let me get this straight, you want to know what happens to the surviving Jedi between ROTS and ANH, but you don't want to take the EU into account? Does not compute.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    If you go back and read my post you'll see that I said I don't take the EU GAME version of events into account. :D

I honestly haven't read alot of EU books and was just wondering if anyone knew the story or where I could find it.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Comics, mostly (Purge, Dark Times, especially). The book Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader also has the first stage of suited-Vader's Jedi-hunting career.

8. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks for that

No comment at all from GL that anyone knows of?

9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights."
    I just assumed that Vader immediately went into action by the end of ROTS hunting down the remaining Jedi. That quote is the explanation given in the movies, and the closest you'll get to an official explanation by Lucas.

Keep in mind, Order 66 is a lot more wide-spread than what's been shown in the movie, pretty much all Jedi in command of Clone Troopers were turned on. And if Jedi weren't on missions, they were to be found at the Jedi Temple, which was completely purged by Vader and his men. With that in mind, that's the majority of the Jedi dead right there. It was probably by chance that a handful of Jedi escaped the initial attack. It's assumed that Vader just took care of the rest.

The way it's spoken of in A New Hope, this task had been done long ago, and it's assumed that Obi-Wan and Yoda eventually perished over time.

Alessandro Sanfilippo likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"The Force Unleashed" was adapted into a novel, which follows the game's script, but only the outcomes that lead to the ending where Garren fails to kill Vader and Sidious, but doesn't die as an evil man. But yes, a lot of it was covered in the EU.

-The novel, "Dark Lord" features Vader killing several Jedi one month after the end of ROTS. But a couple of Jedi managed to escape from Kashyyyk where the final fight took place, and opted to stop being Jedi and just disappear off the radar.

-The comic, "Purge" features a group of Jedi survivors attempts to figure out their next step when Vader finds them and takes them out.

-"Last Of The Jedi" features Obi-wan leaving Tatooine when he learns that Ferus Olin, a former Padawan, was still alive. They team up for a brief period, before Obi-wan returns home and lets Ferus handle things on his own. Later, Olin was killed by Vader a year after the Battle of Yavin 4.

-The book trilogy "Coruscant Nights" featured Jax Pavan on the run from Vader. He does attempt to train a Force sensitive, but it doesn't go too well. Later, Pavan realizes that he cannot beat Vader and that it is not his destiny to do so. He manages to go underground again.

-Jedi Knight Quinlan Vos survived Order 66 on Kashyyyk and was later rescued, before Vader came there. He opted to retire from the Jedi Order and disappear. This was in the final issues of the "Republic" ongoing series.

-The Dark Woman, a female Jedi Master, fought Vader one year before ANH and was slain by him. This was in the first two issues of "Star Wars Tales".

-Master Brand was thought to have been killed during the Purge, but had managed to survive in a special bionic life support suit, that was way more crude than Vader's. He hid away from many years and died seven years after the Battle of Endor. This was in "Dark Empire II" and "Empire's End".

-Jedi Master K'Kruhk had managed to avoid dying during Order 66, just as he had survived his first encounter with Grievous. The Jedi would spend most of his time behind the scenes, doing his part and letting Luke do his. He eventually made himself known to Luke and became an instructor, even going so far as to help train Cade Skywalker. This was covered in the "Legacy" comic series.

-A'Sharred Hett had survived and found Obi-wan on Tatooine, but didn't know why. Between the war and Obi-wan's refusal to help, Hett would slowly but surely turn to the dark side himself and become Darth Krayt. Also in "Legacy".

-Vima Da-Booda had survived the Purge because she was no longer a Jedi at the time, and was off the radar of the Empire. She later spent time in the spice mines of Kessel, before making her way to Nar Shadda. This was covered in the "Dark Empire" comics and the first book in the "Jedi Academy Trilogy".

That's just a sampling of those who survived, only to die later or didn't die at all. The line is mostly an allowance for the EU stories and any potential story that Lucas might have gone with, during the development of the live action series.

markdeez33 likes this.
  11. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    I believe "Last of the Jedi" means the last group of Jedi. Jedi could be used as singular or plural. So what he told Luke was that, he's one of the last Jedi out there. Kinda like the movie "Last of the Samurai," doesn't mean that Tom Cruise is the last samurai but part of the last group of samurai.
    It could also be that Yoda couldn't sense any of the other Jedi out there.
    Or Yoda is saying that to motivate Luke in staying in the Light side of the Force by making it sound like he's the last person who could use the Light side of the Force.