main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi boots -- what is everyone using ??

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by davenwjedi, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    i'm looking to purchase some good looking Jedi boots, and i'm wondering what seems to be working with other costumers ??

i've seen a few different styles offered on the big "eB@y" online auctions, but the seller claims to be in Thailand, and those boots are going for $225.00

what is everyone else using and how do you like them ??

thanks
    NWJEDI
    dave

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I have a set of those boots from Thailand. He is an excellent business man and responds immediately to inquiries or questions. I placed my order via PayPal and I they arrived at my apartment in Nashville a mere two weeks later. That included the time for constructing the boots to my leg measurements. In addition to doing Obi-Wan boots he does Ep2 Anakin boots, Han Solo boots, Stormtrooper boots, and Rocketeer boots. They may seem expensive but for that quality expect to spend $200.00+. They are worth every penny and you will get lots of compliments and questions about your boots, from both SW fans and non-SW fans. The pics do not do them justice, they are awesome, and comfertable as well. As far as I know he has never had a single dissatisified customer.

Another talented leather worker does Jedi boots for $200.00.

There are other ways to do the boots. Allot of folks get some plain black riding boots. If you do this, please modify them. I got sick of seeing meticilously detailed Jedi costumes with some plain boring black boots at SWC2. You can get some special spray paint that works on leather and vinyl and some leather straps to make the look good.

What size shoe do you wear? If you wear anything over size 12 (I'm a 13) your options shrink. I was origiginally going to get these boots and modify them, then I discovered the Thailand boot maker and figured, for a few dollars more, I could get some very accurate boots that fit like a glove (and they do).

The Boot Help thread is also a great resource, as is the TFN Costumes Forum FAQ.

Here are some general tips on boots:
    -Do not use Rubber work boots. The footwear IS important.
    -Try to go with leather over synthetic material. Synthetic materials tend to trap sweat inside (my old boots would stay damp for than a week! EEWWWWW). They are usually cast in one piece and the ankles don't flex too well and you will end up with sore ankles.
    -Comfort is VERY IMPORTANT: In the interest of saving money, many costumers will sacrifice comfort with the thought that they can just tough it later. Spend the extra money on more comfertable boots. I wore my old modified rubber boots a few years ago and my ankles were sore for a week. Even my nice leather Jedi boots left me with sore heels after SWC2 (Dr. Schols would have been a great investment). A flexible ankle is an excellent thing.
    -Dr. Schols is your friend.

The boots are important. Some people don't think so. I saw several Jedi wearing tennis shoes at SWC2. The shoes are probably the biggest pet peeve among many costumers because people will spend all this time making a great costume and ruin it with a pair of Reeboks or $10 rubber work boots from the hardware store. I would say get some leather riding boots (there are plenty mentioned in the boot help thread above) and makes some modificiations.

EDIT: Wherever you get your boots, be sure you have the option of returning them. When you get them, do some serious testing to see how comfertablt they are. Go do some grocery shopping, do allot of walking around your area. A friend of mine put in some lifts into his Cadette botos because the top of the boot was chaffing the inside of his knee. My friend sent his back and spent more on some nice black leather boots (still under $100) because the inflexibility in the ankles. Don't just try them on for ten minutes, give them a throrough and complete test.

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I got Vynal (sp?) And they are extreamly comforatble, and flexable. I myself have feet problems and they are super.

They are black, but I am gonna alter them with spats and the rings with an Obi-Wanesque look, and of course turn it brown.

It was a graet alternative, at $115 CAN :)

4. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I came accross a wonderful pair of riding boots (English) at a flea market here in KY. The fellow who was selling them had ordered them for a job he had at one of the horse farms here. By the time the boots arrived, he had quit the job, and no longer needed the boots. I got them for $20. They had cost him over $250. Good deal, huh? They weren't even broken in yet.

Currently, I've spray painted them a nice russet brown to go better with my robes. And, BTW, the paint is very durable. In fact, if you take a pair of shoes (leather shoes) to a shoe shop to be "dyed" to match an outfit, that's what they do...paint them.

Anyhow...that's my boot story...

--Kai

5. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Recently some folks have suspected that Obi-Wan's boots (and probably most other Jedi's boots) are actually leather shoes with some thin leather boot pipes attached to them. As flexible as my boots are, I don't think they would be flexible enough to do the kinds of stunts, martial arts, and acrobatics that we see in the SW movies.

6. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Cool, Kai :)

Any one work with Vynal before?

7. KEDA

KEDA Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/saturn_girl_us/lst?.dir=/My+Costumes/Jedi&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

this site shows pic's of the ones i am using....

8. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    My jedi gear is a custom built I'm doing. Not a replica. My belt's black, so I'm figuring on matching the boots to the belt.

I've seen a few differant colors and stlyes of boots on Jedi's feet in BOTH movies. Council memebrs' boots appear to Example: mace's and the Asain female Jedi be "Plainish" while the Jedis on the road have the boots w/ the strap things. Like Qui'sand Obi's boots.

Now since there's a diversity of garb why not diversity in boots? They have to look like they "go" with the outit.(No tennis shoes or workboots.<G>) Any tips on what styles of boots can "go" w/ a Jedi's garb for those who want to have a uniqe custom costume?

Padawan Mynn

9. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't discount eBay....it's where I found my boots. They were riding boots, but a little more rugged looking and they already had a few buckles and straps on them. If you have time before you're planning on wearing your costume someplace, definatly try eBay under these search words: riding boots, equestrian boots, horse boots, english boots, dressage boots, brown leather (or black leather if that's what you're going with) boots, military boots, german boots, jackboots (and jack boots). You might get lucky, especially if you are a men's 8-10. There seems to be a lot in those sizes being offered.
    If you do go the synthetic route do customize them and get asome kind of footbed for the boots. My husband has those (he's a size 13 1/2, no luck on eBay thus far) and his arches always hurt him after a day of walking around.
  10. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    The boots that I use were a nice little find at Kohl's. I don't remember the brand, but they are equestrian-looking and black with a little bit of a heel. The nice thing about them is that there is a bit of stretchy fabric in the back which adjusts to the pants I wear and any movement. They were $60 if I remember correctly, and I even use them for wear in the winter time with skirts. They were mighty comfortable, and although they don't match the colors of the rest of the leather in my costume, I like them fine.

11. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Tae Kwon Doe shin pads painted brown. They are the spitting image and in 3 years, no one has EVER noticed that they werent boots.
    $15

12. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Looking through the Visual Dictionary, you will see there are several different styles of Jedi boots. Personally, I went with black Devon-Aire English riding boots from Grand Prix.

13. trianiigirl

trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 21, 2002
    I checked out the area thrift stores and found a pair of brown boots for $15 (US, that is)... not cowboy boots, just tall, brown boots. I was lucky to find them- they fit well and I wear them everywhere. Thrift stores are where I find most of my Jedi accessories- my belts (they looked like refugees from the 80's) and other stuff. And its all cheap! Only thing is you usually have to do a whole lot of looking before you find something good.

14. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, I've seen some people make some dream finds at yard sales and thrift stores. There used to be a tutorial on Photopoint of someone who made some AWESOME Obi-Wan boots from a pair of $5.00 boots they found at a yard sale.

But it's important that the success of your costume project not depend on these kinds of dream finds. It can take a long time to find the right boots at a thrift store, and you may never find them. I looked every month for 2+ years found a pair of leather shoes that would have worked, but were too small.

I always say hope for the best and plan for the worst. Definately look for stuff out there, but don't budget $10.00 for your boots, assuming you will find what you need. If you simply will not be able to complete the costume if you don't get your boots (or any other costume parts) for X number of dollars, your liable to run into trouble later on.

I know that some think that I feel differently about this, but I don't believe that you have to spend hundreds of dollars for a great pair of boots. You can do great work for a few bucks. But I've talked to folks and seen people who figure they'll get their boots for $10-20 bucks because a couple of people on a forum somewhere said they found some great boots for that.

15. Hale_Atticus

Hale_Atticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    When I made my costume for C2, I got my boots www.fryeboots.com , the Campus model.
    They're expensive ($200) but are a very high quality leather. The I went to a leathercompany and bought some 2 1/2" leather strips and loops (used primarily for horse reins,I think) that were very close to the color of the boots. I fashioned those into the straps that go around the calves of the boots and attached them with velcro.
    They made for some pretty good looking Jedi boots.

16. davenwjedi

Mar 5, 2002
    some GREAT ideas... thanks everyone !!

NWJEDI
    dave

17. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002

At one site I read that the boots where used by the australian light tank division in and around the early 1900's conflicts.

Getting these boots now even here in australia is highly unlikely, and considering the fact, you can go into a Tandy leather store and buy smaller straps and glue or attach them to normal riding boots the point is mute really what they really are.

All you need is a good reference pic and youre home and hosed. Remember that alot of the original stuff used in the classic trilogy are from WW2 and some still in the prequels.

18. Jamor_MilDe

Jamor_MilDe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    Has anyone ever seen what the cadett boots from Grand Prix are like?

http://www.gprix.com/fwbt.htm

They look cheap, but at the same time are cheap!

The reason I ask is that I am creating a halloween costume, and don't want to spend $225 on the Thai boots (even though they looks sweet). I have been looking on eBay, and am prepared to spend around $50-60 on a pair from there, just haven't found what I like yet. The synth boots seem like a good alternative, if they look like leather. I would just glue on some straps or something?

Thanks

19. ID4382

ID4382 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    If your looking for a good substitute, go to statelinetrack.com, they sell riding boots, new, for about $50. They also have the east german riding boots which the Jedis were made from.

20. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Is that a real site or what?

21. Jamor_MilDe

Jul 16, 2002
    ID4382,

could you provide a proper link to the site you mentioned?

22. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    it's tack not track.

I didn't see much of interest unless you want to get PVC boots.

23. jeditrainee

jeditrainee Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1999
    HSN Online has some Women Leather Riding Boots for $25, regular $99.50. A few sizes are still available.

HSN Boots
    If the link doesn't work, go to www.hsn.com and search for item 512-196.

24. Jamor_MilDe

Jul 16, 2002
    ID4382,

Could you please post the direct links to the boots you are talking about from statelinetack? I was looking around the site and saw nothing that could even pass for Jedi boots, but I don't know horse terminology, so I could have been in the wrong spot.

25. davenwjedi

Mar 5, 2002
    i looked at that webpage too and couldn't find a thing !!!

NWJEDI
    dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.