main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jedi Braid

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HanyBezem, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanyBezem

HanyBezem Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    Hello All!
    I'm Passinot about Jedi Hairstyles and i just want to ask if anybody knows how to make a Jedi Braid if your a Male?

Well Start posting!

sg edit -- just unlocking!

2. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Hello!

Well, look at a place that sells fake hair wraps. They might have one. Then you can clip it behind you're ear. Or, go to a wig store and look around for a length of hair you can braid.

Of course, you could just walk up to someone randomly, chop of a part of their hair, and thank them for the costume accessory :)

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    For me I went and got fake hair from a costume store, had a friend of mine braid it and got some embroidery floss (its what they really used) and placed my colours.

Choosing a length is personal preference. Look at Anakin, it barely goes past his shoulder, whereas Obi-Wans nearly touched his waist!

I also apply SPIRIT GUM to behnd my ear and attach it that way. Simple, effective, and it feels more "real".

Could always grow one too ;)

4. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    The length indicates how long they've been a Padawan. That's why Anakin's was half the length of Obi-Wan's, he was only there half the amount of time.

My braid was definitely fake hair, the same route as Primrodo. I attached mine with extension glue, it works great when you're gonna be wearing it for a few days (Cons, etc.). Lots of people have asked me if it's my real hair, it works that good.

5. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    lol! I've been asked the same, as with my fake ponytail.

as for:
    The length indicates how long they've been a Padawan. That's why Anakin's was half the length of Obi-Wan's, he was only there half the amount of time.

I don't think this is entirely true....I've never seen this as canon material, like the colours for instance.

In reality it was a stylistic choice, Obi-Wans character was slightly more wild than Anakins look, who was groomed and more in control (in someways ;) )

I went for a length I am comfortable with, as everyone should. If you like fairly short go for it, if you want super long...well would be interesting to see in a duel lol.

6. HanyBezem

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanx again guys!!! Is there a certain postion of where i should put the braid?

( Girls totaaly Dig jedi's with braids!)

7. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Proper Padawan placement (ya like that? heh) would be behind the right ear.

I don't think this is entirely true....I've never seen this as canon material, like the colours for instance.

True, I've never seen it anywhere either. But you've gotta admit, it makes sense. The colors could just be a stylistic choice or a ranking system they haven't revealed yet.

8. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001

But I do believe it is canon that the braid is not cut until they've passed the trials and become a Knight. If the braid is growing during the duration of their apprenticeship, then naturally the length of it is going to indicate how long they've been a padawan.

Obi-Wan was teamed with Qui-Gon for approximately 12 years, whereas Anakin had been teamed with Obi-Wan for 10 years. Also, I believe some of the Bear Clan had braids and they hadn't been paired with a Master yet, so who knows when they actually start growing the braid. But Anakin got teamed up the day he joined the Jedi.

9. HanyBezem

Oct 21, 2003
    Now. How can i convince everybody that Braids are not only for girls?!

* Thinks*

10. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Show them Episodes I and II.

11. HanyBezem

Oct 21, 2003
    Ah! Clever Idea! Or i can just..... No. I'll just stick to showing them the movies!

12. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I've found that guys 'dig girls' with Jedi braids. Although they don't know what it really is.

I have one down to my waist.:) I am able to attach it to a length of my own hair. I don't use spirit gum I weave it in. It looks pretty convicning. People ask me if my hair was that long, Or if I'd cut my hair off.

13. HanyBezem

Oct 21, 2003
    Question? Where can you get the beads for the braids?

14. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Don't use beads, use colored hair ties.

15. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Embriodery Floss is what you seek :)

16. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    I am really chap for my braid tie. I use rubber bands meant for braces (not used, of course). Look for 'Panda' size ;)

17. HanyBezem

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanx guys! And girls!

Well no the hard part!
    To convince my Parents!!!

18. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Hello,
    I am a licensed hairdresser turned costume maker...so I think I have some pretty good advice in this arena.
    Yes-the braid starts growing when the child starts padawan training. Most of the children started out younger than Anakin did, so at the same age they would most likely have longer braids-BUT-this is not ALWAYS true, because people have different "lifespans" in their hair follicles-which is why some people can grow knee length hair like Crystal Gayle, and others can grow their hair to shoulder length at longest. Basically-everyone's hair follicles grow hairs for a certain amount of time, and then that hair falls out and a new one starts growing in. This process is not so apparent in people with short hair, but pull long one length hair back into a bun or ponytail, and you will see the "fuzzy halo" of stray hairs that are not quite long enough to go into it.
    I did in fact read somewhere that the colors in the padawan braids did mean something, but it hasn't really ever been laid out. Embroidery floss is what you want to use to "wrap" the braid with. You can get it for about .25 a color in the craft section of Wal-Mart. It is called DMC floss and is with the cross stitch stuff.
    Spirit gum or extension glue is what I would use to attach a fake braid. Extension glue can be purchased at most wig places, Sally Beauty Supply, and in ethnic hair stores. You can also get the TINY ruber bands at these same places that are used for ethnic cornrow braids-they are much smaller than regular rubber bands/ponytail holders.
    As far as Obi-Wan's hair being "purposely wilder" than Anakin's...this is not true. The positioning of the hair follicles play a large part in how a person will look with a hairstyle. With their hair cut about the same length-Obi-Wan's and Anakin's hair takes on a different look due to their hair thickness, texture, and the positioning of their hair follicles. Obi-Wan has thicker, more coarse hair than Anakin, and it is also bone straight. His hair follicles also grow more "straight out" from his head and his hair sticks up/out more from the root because of this. Anakins hair is finer in texture, and his hair follicles grow more angled so that the hair lays down better against the scalp.
    Think of it with this visual:

__!__!__!_ Obi Wan's hair grows more directly straight out from his head like so, and Anakin's hair follicles are more angled and his hair lays more against his head like this __/_/_/_/__ and this is what gives Obi-Wan the more "sticks out everywhere" look with the Padawan cut.
    Make sense?
    You have just completed "Hair Follicles 101". ha ha
    QS

19. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I think fans may have the placement of the braid wrong. I believe it isn't behind the ear, but slightly infront of it, close to where hair for the sideburns would be. Then the padawans put the braid behind their ear, but it begins in front. The reason I say this is because of a couple of things. First, if you watch the entirety of the makings of EP1, you see when they cut Ewan's hair, and this area mentioned was left long, to better add the extention. Second, some of the pictures I have seen of both Anakin and Obi as padawan, it looks like that part of their head is slightly braided before it disappears behind their ear.

I know I am female, and the padawan braid doesn't really apply to me. But I am a fangirl that actually have had a padawan braid for a few month, so I did put some research into it. This is just the conjectures I have made. If anyone takes it, then feel free, but then you have the right to do whatever you want.

Isadore

20. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Jedi_Knight_Isadore,

The reason most of us are saying behind the ear is because unless you grow one you cann't have it realisticlly from in front of the ear. Whereas the movies have that,we do not (most anyway)have the luxury, hense going with behiond the ear to give teh impression that the braid is there and correct.

queenseamstress,

The coloured meanings are in EU, no real basis in canon for the films. My best bet its either what Ewan and Hayden liked for colours or whatnot,no real pattern.

As for teh hair, Ewans real hair is soft and wavy and his padawan braod (obviously not his own hair) Seemed more wild, to give attibute to his wild persona in TPM.

Anakin is much more a streamlined clean Jedi in AOTC, so his braid is more short, clean and the end is nicely trimmed.

I believe that this was on purpose,as most of the costume details were. It was more a personal observation than a factual one, I'll be sure to ask Trisha next I see her ;) But in all actuality I believe teh braid was a planned element as opposed to a "time"element. Its film not life in this case...

:)

21. HanyBezem

Oct 21, 2003
    Wow.
    Thanx for the help guys!

22. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Well, I have to disagree with you at least about the "texture" of Ewan's hair. Wave or not and soft or not, it is coarse and thick, and grows from the follicle like I described. You can have hair that is both soft, and coarse and thick as well. Hair thickness refers to how mny hairs/hair follicles he actually has on his head-and coarseness refers to the actual diameter of each hair. Coarse means each hair itself is thick, and fine means that each individual hair is smaller in diameter. It can be "soft" either way. Most people not in the hair industry confuse the coarseness/fineness terms with soft/unsoft-and this is not the same thing.
    When I talked about the hair looking "wilder" I was actually referring to the haircut, and not the padawan braid itself-so I was actually referring to their "real" hair, and not the "fake" part of the padawan braid. That part may have well been shaggier/cleaner to reflect the personality of the wearer, but not really the rest of the hairdo. That difference in look is actually caused mainly by their different hair types.
    Just like all of the women coming to the salon wanting their hair to look exactly like Jennifer Aniston or Meg Ryan...we have to explain to them that their hair is either thinner/thicker/more coarse/more fine/insert other difference here and that while we can make it close, it will not be EXACT. We are beauticians, not magicians.
    QS

23. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    I have to disagree that the braid is in front of the ear. I've seen pics of Obi Wan and Anakin showing it STARTING behind their ears.

A Question on hair extentions hair. WHERE can I find that stuff? I'm looking for stuff that looks and feels like human hair but isn't as exspensive as human hair. I'm aslo wondering, since I've fine thin hair, if an extenion could be woven into that section of hair?

24. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    I don't know if this can be purchased locally as I've never tried but I believe the thing you are looking for is called Professional Silky hair. I know a site that sells it but I am not entirely certain if I am allowed to post links to merchants on the boards...

In any case, the kind of hair is described on the site as such:
    "This is very high quality silky fiber straight professional synthetic hair. It is very easy to wash and brush with not as many knots. 100% kanekelon fiber is 48 inches long and comes folded in half and bound at the top.
    These are professional quality extensions used in loose extensions and are also good for hair pieces such as falls, streaking wigs, and hair clips, because they are long lasting and very close to real human hair consistency. "

Of course, I am no expert. As we do have a real hairdresser around she might be of more help!

25. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    You can send me the link in a pirvate message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.