main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 'Jedi Business', Obi & Ani snapshot, sequel to 'Always on the Move'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    TITLE: Jedi Business (Nothing to be alarmed about)
    AUTHOR: Jemmiah
    SET: A year or so prior to AOTC, directly after 'Always on the Move'.
    DESCRIPTION: Anakin finds parting with his savings a painful experience...

"There's no use scowling at me like that." Obi-Wan shook his head bemusedly; ignoring the series of hurt frowns being aimed at him from across the table. "It was your idea to come here."

Anakin's brief moment of petulance gave way to disgusted resignation. "Don't remind me." He muttered recalcitrantly out the corner of his mouth. "All my savings?gone. Whoosh!" He made an open palmed gesture. "Up in smoke! I can just about cover the price of the meal, I guess."

Obi-Wan recognised Anakin's main concern was one of saving face. Certainly the bet had been foolish - and one which he should not have made if he wasn't prepared to suffer the consequences - but padawans were not generally known for their wealth. That Anakin had anything more on him than the price of a glass of water was frankly surprising, which suggested he'd been spending too much time lately gambling with the likes of Toms Yarrel rather than at the lessons he felt he no longer required. Now, as he studied Anakin's miserable expression, Obi-Wan appreciated that the young man felt the need to cover the debt of honour, yet knew he was struggling to come up with the necessary funds.

"If you are prepared to gamble then you should be prepared to lose." Obi-Wan chided affably. "Even you!" He watched as Anakin turned away, waiting for the inevitable lecture that usually followed every instance of disobedience or idiocy. "Padawan, I do not wish to nag at you. You made a mistake and now you are paying your penance. End of story. Now," he rubbed his hands together, "where's the sweet menu?"

Anakin's eyes became childishly round. "The sweet menu?!" He yelped at his master. "I can't afford that! The price of the main course alone could put a person in hock for a decade! Not to mention the fact that you purposefully chose the most expensive item on the list!"

Obi-Wan closed his eyes, every inch as relaxed as Anakin was stressed. The background music and the general hum of conversation washed over him, soothing and calming him. The food had been pricey, that much was true, but when one picked La Snootier as their chosen venue one got what one paid for.

In Anakin's case extreme indigestion brought about by major surgery on his wallet?

"Relax, Anakin." Obi-Wan sighed. "I will pay for the sweet course. And," he added with an unexpected flourish of generosity, "I will pay for the theatre. My treat."

Anakin's face was a picture. Embarrassment warred with guilt and delight, until finally he compromised and perfected an expression something akin to contrition.

"I'm sorry, master." Anakin admitted, his cheeks flushing. "I have to confess that I would be hard pressed to pay for all the meal. And I certainly couldn't afford the theatre?"

"That is why I have agreed to assist." Obi-Wan admitted, pleased that at least Anakin looked less likely to have an apoplectic fit when he saw the final bill. "That and the fact that I don't much fancy washing dishes in the kitchens to pay back what we owe: I did enough of that when I was Qui-Gon's padawan. Although I did enjoy watching you squirm for a while." He raised a glass of the house red in a salute to Anakin, then proceeded to drain the contents in more or less one go.

This time Anakin sat back in his chair, finally allowing himself to relax.

"Thank you." He smiled back almost bashfully. "Couldn't you have told me that before? So that I could have enjoyed what I was eating rather than feeling as if each mouthful was choking me?"

"Where would the fun have been in that?" Obi-Wan folded his arms.

Anakin's grin grew steadily larger. "Well, I will have the last laugh, master. Because if you are buying the sweet course I am going to order the largest and most expensive selection of iced vanilla you have ever seen!" He beamed triumphantly at Obi-Wan. "I'll even have a

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    LMAO!!!!!!! Two great snapshots read in one day... Oh man. I sympathize with Anakin, though. That spike or knob at the end of the banister is a killer. ;)

Great job, Jem!

3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Goody a sequel! Oh, this is great...you have Obi and Ani just right.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan frowned momentarily, "I do have female friends, you know. It isn't against the temple rules to speak to women. Contrary to popular belief Master Windu will not turn you to stone with a single glance if he sees you talking to someone of the opposite sex. And I'm not so repulsive that all women cross to the other side of the road to escape me."

Loved this!

Great job! Well done.=D=

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    The secret of being a banister sliding champion is knowing not to pick a stairway that has a large, pointed brass spike at the bottom."

OH Obi-Wan, you naughty, naughty boy [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

What if Anakin's been damaged? A warning would have been nice.

Very funny!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm almost surprised that Obi-Wan gave Anakin as much info on the Corellian woman as he did. :D :D Ouch.. I knew it wasn't going to end pleasantly. LOL

Excellent snapshot Jem.

6. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    [face_laugh] This is wonderful. I like to believe their relationship had this affectionately light-hearted side when Anakin was younger.

EDIT: Lesson - look before you slide.:p

I think I like leaving it to my imagination what happened with the Correllian woman:D

"Anakin," Obi-Wan frowned momentarily, "I do have female friends, you know.

Friends, hmmm ;)[face_mischief]

And I'm not so repulsive that all women cross to the other side of the road to escape me."

Quite the opposite, I suspect from this vantage point!

7. michaellover

michaellover Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    At times like this, when he most wanted the ground to open up and swallow him, he would simply use the standard 'Jedi business: Nothing to be alarmed about' phrase. Now, aware that Anakin had left a trail of aghast upper-class Coruscanti restaurateurs in his wake, Obi-Wan resorted to the other phrase he had learned to cultivate over the last eight or nine years.

He's nothing to do with me." He promised; pointing at the space that Anakin had vacated.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Obi wan seems to have practice with moments like this!

He was not disappointed. The young man had his back to him and stood, bent over in the kind of suffering that might induce a mortal enemy to weep in sympathy, one hand clasped firmly over his groin area. Anakin's expression somehow managed to convey the very nature of the word 'agony', and it was not without sympathy that Obi-Wan made his way to his padawan's side.

"One day you will do as you are told." Obi-Wan winced as Anakin fought back tears of pain. "But for the moment let me give you a little advice."

He leaned in closer to his padawan and whispered:

"The secret of being a banister sliding champion is knowing not to pick a stairway that has a large, pointed brass spike at the bottom."

Poor Ani!![face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] It seems the force is simply not in his side
    today!!!:p I'm a girl but, OUCH!!

8. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Ok so I'm not a guy, but I KNOW that banister had to hurt like WHOA![face_laugh]
    Why doesn't Anakin just fall on his head and get it over with. Maybe it will change him completely and knock some sense into him8-} [face_beatup]

Love it!

9. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Thank you, everyone. :D I'm so pleased you liked it! I wondered if you would feel I was being too mean to poor Anakin, but I'm glad that you all approve! :)

10. michaellover

michaellover Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2005
    because he probably won't feel a thing!!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh][face_laugh]
    he is the most hard headed being out there! not even a steel wall could change that :p

11. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    At times like this, when he most wanted the ground to open up and swallow him, he would simply use the standard 'Jedi business: Nothing to be alarmed about' phrase. Now, aware that Anakin had left a trail of aghast upper-class Coruscanti restaurateurs in his wake, Obi-Wan resorted to the other phrase he had learned to cultivate over the last eight or nine years.

"He's nothing to do with me." He promised; pointing at the space that Anakin had vacated.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Oh my! That was funny!! Especially, the end, poor Ani, looks like he'll never be done learning :D

12. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    This was HYSTERICAL! [face_laugh]

You really have their banter down! Hee! I was wondering about what was going to happen to poor Ani!

Too funny! You should do a whole series of these - I would read every single one! [face_love]

13. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Thanks Stella, and Parky! :D

This sort of slots into a series of Jedi Snapshots from both before and during the Saga, if you're interested. The link is in my sig. :)

Thanks for reading!

14. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I could have sworn I replied to this! Sorry Jem! :eek:

LMAO! I loved how Anakin was determined to get some sort of info off Obi about the mystery Corallian woman. Tee-Hee! I wonder if he'll ever find out. [face_whistling]

Maybe the reason Obi was the banister sliding champ because he always checked to make sure the banister he was about to slide on was safe! :D (Now counting Yoda or Mace being at the bottom.)

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm not sure how I missed this earlier! :_|

But I loved it, every single word! For some reason this just struck me as sad and funny in a way:

That Anakin had anything more on him than the price of a glass of water was frankly surprising, which suggested he'd been spending too much time lately gambling with the likes of Toms Yarrel rather than at the lessons he felt he no longer required. Now, as he studied Anakin's miserable expression, Obi-Wan appreciated that the young man felt the need to cover the debt of honour, yet knew he was struggling to come up with the necessary funds.

I don't know why, perhaps I'm just weird!

=D=

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... LOL. LOL. Fond memories of Simeon in that ending, but the rest of it was hilarious.

17. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    *cackles maliciously*

I love, though, how Anakin's nature comes out even in simple, little things like totally taking advantage of his master's generosity in paying for the sweets. And, of course, the golden brass spike ;)

18. UltimateObi-Wan_987

UltimateObi-Wan_987 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    Well...I guess that's what Anakin gets for trying to use his lesson he just leared too fast, and without thinking, for that matter! Again, great story!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.