main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Containment Question...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Angelic_Sith, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelic_Sith

Angelic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2000
    Okay...here's the question.

How would you go about containing or imprisoning a jedi, without the aide of ysalamiri?

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    how 'bout a bare cell containing a stripped Jedi? The cell walls are 4 feet pure concrete and only one person has the key to the cell and he's three planets away.

3. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    LOL, Liz. [face_laugh]

Angelic, you could have them wear Force collars, like the one Obi-Wan had to wear in one of the JA books. Wasn't it #2 or something?

4. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I'd say just physically drain them, remove stimuli -- I normally don't like to cite EU for anything, but Jude Watson did a good job "containing" Qui-Gon and another Jedi Master for quite awhile; the scientist basically drained a lot of blood for them and kept them in sensory deprivation cells. This seemed to make a lot more sense -- Jedi-dampening devices rather than Force-dampening ones.

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Sedatives or drugs.

Electronic force fields around the doors (Jedi use the LIVING force, generated by LIVING things, not by artificial means). They can't manipulate artificial force fields, or Obi-Wan wouldn't have been cut off from Qui-Gon & Darth Maul on Naboo.

Lack of windows. Lots of guards.

6. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    The electronic containment field is a good idea, but there might be Jedi who can step through force fields. Anakin did in one of the novels...can't remember the title, but I know there's something about planetary repulsors and the Corellian system...

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, but most Jedi cannot. I did create an OC who can, based on the fact that Anakin (Solo) could --had an unusual gift for forcefields from childhood (the Corellian trilogy, pre-NJO). I believe it must be an extremely rare gift, and that even those who possess it can't make it work ALL the time.

That is the key to writing Jedi characters, IMHO. The Force doesn't ALWAYS work. They're not infallible. Makes them much more interesting. :)

8. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Actually, the collar that Obi-Wan had to wear in JA#2 wasn't a Force collar, it was just an electro-collar that could be blown up in case the slaves decided to revolt.

A lot of writers come up with the idea of Force collars and other things that block the Force, but I've never liked that idea because I understand that the Force binds -everything- together, even stones. Ore is found in rock, and so it seems to me that metal should fall under the jurisdiction of the Force.

Keeping a Jedi sedated would be a good idea. On the other hand, there is the idea that Jedi can use the Force to filter sedatives, drugs, and alcohol from their systems so that they have no effect. I think, if that were possible, it would take a lot of mastery and not everybody could do it, at least not all the time.

I also like Jedi Galadriel's idea of draining the Jedi, keeping them physically weak so that they would have trouble accessing the Force in the first place. Then a strong prison might be enough to keep them contained.

9. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I think the first thing I would have to do is get them unconscious, probably by a stun.
    Jedi can purge drugs from their system, but to do that I think they still need to be calm and have the ability to concentrate. I would take that away by introducing an illness or a drug that makes them delirous or unable to focus. Weaken the body with minimal life support too.

10. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Has anyone read the Dark Empire series? There's a kind of Force cage in there.

11. Marie_Kenobi

Feb 12, 2002
    You are right Jane Jinn. I went back earlier today and checked. But what if you wanted to make a Jedi a slave or a servant? How would you do it then?

12. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Threaten someone else who doesn't have Jedi skills. Keep moving that person around. Heck, depending on how evil the character is, kill the hostage but don't say so, so that the Jedi will never be able to track him or her, and never realize that his/her service is futile.

13. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    One way that might work is if the bad guy plans to go after a particular Jedi. Said Bad Guy could carefully study that Jedi's strengths and weaknesses.

It would be much easier to take down or imprison a Jedi if you knew that say - his skills at mind manipulation are poor or non-existant. Like the others said above, different Jedi have different skills and some skills are rare. And even if they are well trained they won't be perfect or have endless energy - In Ep.1, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan couldn't drive off those destroyer droids and had to run for it.

I think the easiest way to start is to plan out how you want the Jedi's capture/method of imprisonment to be, and then make your Jedi's skills fit that situation.

14. Marie_Kenobi

Feb 12, 2002
    OK, so if Obi and Qui were both captured by the same person and seperated, do you think that person could keep them in line by saying they would kill the other if they didn't behave? I'm working on a story that is kind of like that, but I really need them to where Force collars for more than one reason. Do you think that would work? (Hope I'm not being a bother.) Thanks!

15. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I think your villain would have to be very careful about that.

I really don't like the Force-dampening devices. The idea of a piece of technology overpowering the Force goes against the theme of all the episodes so far.

16. Angelic_Sith

Aug 6, 2000
    Well for the particular one I have in mind. Palpatine has her. The device I picture in my mind most of the time has her inside a tank of sorts. I know that its filled with some sort of liquid because she has a breathing aparatus, but what the liquid is I don't know.

I do like the physical weakening idea though. That might work with what I have in mind. And it could work with imprisoning two jedi. I wish I could reveal part of the story, but this has to do with and ending of sorts to one of the stories I've been working on.

Thanks for the ideas though.

17. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    Marie - the Force collar is a bit implausible. However, if your other reasons for having the collar can back it up, it might work anyway.

Angelic_Sith - you likely don't need a tank if Ole Palpy's got her. He is a Sith Master and extremely powerful as we've seen from the movies. You could invent any Sith powers you like to allow Palpatine to subdue/imprison a Jedi.

Here's another idea - trickery. I'd forgotten I used a different version of this idea in one of my fics.

Most Jedi can sense lies, but that's what a middleman is for. A bad guy sends an underling, who believes what he is saying is true, to convince a Jedi they must stay or go somewhere. In this case, the Jedi is unaware of being captured. But it serves to keep the Jedi off guard when the bad guy springs his trap. [face_devil]

18. Angelic_Sith

Aug 6, 2000
    Julie- the tank actually has a bit to do with something else, but mainly because Palpy wants to keep her alive. It sorta has to do with keeping Obi on Tatooine, which I would have to explain and I'm trying not to ruin the story. Well it also has to do with the fact that Palpy knows she's more powerful than he is.

I'll have to keep that trickery bit in mind though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.