main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jedi Costume (need tips!)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Squishy_Vic, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squishy_Vic

Squishy_Vic Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2004
    Alrighty. Well I have ordered a custom made Jedi tunic, and just yesterday I was emailed that it is done and will be shipped by express. So I got that part covered, and I am excited for Halloween. But please, can you help me out? I need to know:

- Where to find decent, not too pricey Jedi boots (where to buy online, or at store)

- Where to find decent, not too pricey Jedi Pants (where to buy online, or at store)

All within a weeks time!

So please, can you all help me, I really want to finish this costume up in time for Halloween (and of course, C4 ;) ). So can you my dear friends please give me tips on the above? Thank you very much, I'd really appreciate it.

I really wish to dress up this year (first time in a long time) because my son will be dressed as Yoda and my girlfriend already has her Jedi costume complete (she put it together by buying different pieces of clothes)

BTW - I am 5'4" ( :( :p ) and wear shoe size 9 - 9.5, incase you needed to know.

Thanks,
    - Squishy_Vic

2. pintamino

pintamino Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2006
    What's 'not too pricey'?

3. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Best bet it to look online for local merchants. Boots are usually the biggest expense always. Pants, simple pull on pants since there are no big specifics to them. I got a doable set at Walmart for about $12.00. Elastic waist, simple side pockets and no real embellishments. They usually have them in a cotton twill in color from tan, white, black, brown, blue and so on. That should be the simplest thing to find. Always check your local thrift or consignement shops if you have the time. They often have some else's discarded but fair shape articles for a reasonable price. You can get some really nice boots from a saddlr/tack shop, but you will pay upwards of $100 or more for those. [face_cowboy]

4. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Where to find decent, not too pricey Jedi boots (where to buy online, or at store)

All I can say is good luck with that task. ;) If you want anything that looks Jedi-ish then it's gonna be expensive. Very expensive. Your best chance is again Walmart or even some other shoe store. Just look around for boots that look similar.

~Spacelady

5. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Boots are the hardest thing for people to find, too. To find something that they really like.

You may just have to settle for what you can get, for now, and upgrade later. I wouldn't spend too much on them, unless you really do find what you want the first time.

6. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Or you could go for a long style jedi robes. (tunics and all) and buy a short pair of brown boots like doc martins or some sort of boot like that. With long style robes i mean like old ben kenobi and seesee tin wore in EIII. Hope this helps. Good luck.

7. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Thanks guys. On sunday (hopefully) I am going to go searching/shopping around target and wal-mart to see if I can find a brown pair of pants (with nothing such as pockets showing below the tunic) so yeah.

And by not too pricey, I mean anything 50 bucks or less :p But i knew the boots would be hard. I was searching online and all of them are hundreds of dollars! [face_frustrated] So I think I will try to buy some common brown/dark boots from a shoe store.

Thanks again :D

8. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    For boots, you might just get lucky. I won a pair of 4" platforms from an Ebay seller, for 50 bucks US. Nice Demonia boots with fancy buckles all over. If you just need a cheap pair for this costume, then hit payless, walmart, or other discount retailers in your area. If you're willing to spend more, and need a good pair of winter boots anyway, then check the other shoestores. I saw some awesome boots at Naturalizer in both brown and black, that would work perfectly with Jedi attire. A bit expensive, but if they're going to be worn with other things, perhaps a good investment.

As for pants, plain ones in any earthtone that goes well with your tunic will work. In a pinch, you could always check used clothing stores, and wash them really good when you get home.

9. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    use costume boots, i get mine from allcostume off ebay. only 40 bucks, comfortable and look real good, i have 3 pair, a jedi brown a vader black, and a pirate pair in black.

10. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I've heard some people say that these boots are cheaply made and don't hold up very well or for very long, but I have no personal experience with them.

11. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    If I remember correctly, one of the Male Jedi in one of the Prequel SW Visual Dictionary was wearing an Ankle High Boots or something so you can get one if can't find a Calf-high one. Later, you can still wear it for RL. ;)

12. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    well the ones i got from allcostume are well made.

ive had the jedi boots for around 3 years now, and they still look like new.

theyre nice and have lasted me so far, without any signs of real hard wear.

13. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Cool, cool. i was looking around but Star Wars boots (such as Anakin's or Obi's) cost hundreds so I said forget it. Today I might go to a PayLess and get some and I hope it works. I hope to get pics up soon!

14. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Alright well I decided not to buy such expensive boots so I'm just going to wear either my black shoes (undecided on which shoes though, hi-tops or low-tops)

But anyway, my costume is complete!!!

My tunic came in the mail today (it's awesome!). For the undershirt I bought a longsleeve shirt and for the pants I bought some khakis (both darkbrown). Lastly, yesterday I bought one of the regular toy lightsabers (Qui-Gon Jinn hilt style, blue blade).

Pics to come, if anyone is interested :) Also, my costume still needs some modifications ... (such as me getting a haircut, and wala! ;) )

15. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Maybe I'm thinking of a different place.

You mention tunics, pants and boots, but I see no mention of an obi, tabards or even a belt. A "real" Jedi costume isn't complete with out those items, especially a belt.

16. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    The tunic came with the sash to wrap around. Now I could use a belt - anyone know where I can find one? (that is Jedi like?)

17. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hi Vic, have you tried the Welcome and thread index ?

There's a big section on Jedi - including a Jedi belts thread. If any of the threads are locked, just let me know and I can unlock them so you can post questions in the related threads.

18. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Thank you :) I'm Sorry, I didn't take the time to look through those threads. Only looked through several (like the boots threads). Will check them out now :)

19. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    Squishy, do you have an Aldo shoe store nearby? I got several belts from there that look awesome with Jedi garb- they even have suitable looking buckles. Mind you, they're only an inch and a quarter wide, but worn over a sash, still look great. I recently had a wider underbelt made to go with them, for an accurate appearance.

20. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    I just looked online, and I think I might buy a belt ($25). They do look very nice (the ones with the rectangular buckle) and Jedi like. Thanks for that tip, Amanita! That's what I think is the last thing I needed for the costume :)

I would buy boots from there, but they're expensive! (Lowest one there is at $69+ and they're not even Jedi-like ... ugh) :p

21. Suran_Vesh

Suran_Vesh Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2006
    Its probably a little late for this, but I found my boots here: http://www.easterncoastcostume.com.

They were just under $50.00 after S&H. I normally wear a 9 1/2 so I had to get the size 11, but they are very comfortable and didn't break my wallet.

22. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Thanks. Maybe later I can order them (in time for C4) because right now I believe they will not make it to Halloween. Thanks though.

The ones I want are <$40 dollars. Goodie!

23. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Oh, THOSE were the cheap boots I was thinking of earlier in this thread, that I heard bad things about.

Like the material cracking or tearing easily when someone wore them for the first time.

24. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Yay! I had a fun time this Halloween! [face_pumpkin]

Pics:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Squishy_Vic/Other/IMG_5992.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Squishy_Vic/Other/IMG_6002.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/Squishy_Vic/Other/6004.jpg]

more are available :)

25. Suran_Vesh

Suran_Vesh Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2006
    LOL. Hmmm.. I haven't had any problems with mine other than they are a size too big for me. But I put some foam in the toes so they fit me better now. I've had them for about 6 months now and I haven't seen any cracks or tears on them. But of course now you might have jinxed me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.