main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Jedi costuming meeting sign-up thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by JediToren, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    At the last meeting a couple of FF members discussed possibly getting togethor to go find materials and supplies for making a Jedi costume for SWC2 and/or Episode II and/or DragonCon2k2. This is a signup thread for that.

Given that this costume, despite it's apparent simplicity, can be difficult and time consuming, we should probably get togethor for this pretty soon. It would be best to do this on a weekend or some other time where we can get togethor during the day and do this for a couple of hours.
    My vote is in for a Saturday this month, meeting at around 10am and hitting Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart and probably Jo Ann fabrics and maybe some other places.
    Ecluding today, we've got the 9, 16, and the 23, and possibly March 2nd.

So who is interested in doing something like this and when can you do it (even if you cant make it to one of the above dates, suggest an alternative date)

2. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I'm in. Saturdays are good for me.

3. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    If you want a good cotton dark brown fabric, you can skip Jo-ann fabrics in Cool springs. I went there Saturday, and only found a polyster knit fabric, but it was $6.99 a yard. OUCH!!! Wal-mart has some, but not near enough for a Jedi Robe. I'm going to try to hit Hobby Lobby at lunch and see what they have. I was told at Wal-mart, that if you want to buy a whole roll of fabric (15 yards), the manager of the fabrics dept would special order it for you. If people want to split a roll, that may be the way to go. I'm making my tunic and my robe dark brown (I'm making an Even Piell costume) so, I may end up using a whole roll. I think the price for the fabric was $2.29 +/- a yard. Wal-mart also had a couple of bins with fabric as low as $1 a yard. I'm paying a seamstress friend of mine to make my costume since I can't sew worth a darn, nor do I have the time to make an attempt.

I think it might also be cool at the meeting if someone could demonstrate how to make a lightsaber out of easy to find materials. I think Scruff mentioned that he knew how.

4. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Will a cotton robe look as good as wool?

When does everyone want to do this, and where do we want to meet?

5. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I would definitely be interested in making my own lightsabre. Let me know what it is I need to buy, Matt.

6. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Elan-Rai, I went to Matt's website and printed out the instructions and stuff. I've got the stuff, but with moving to Dyersburg and all, just haven't gotten around to constructing it yet.

7. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I'll check it out.

Welcome back STEVE!!! Long time no see!

You missed a great meeting Friday, Feb. 1st. ;)

8. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I read Matt's wrap-up of the meeting. Sounds like it was the best one yet. I had to work a little longer on Friday...so that pretty much screwed me out of getting to go.
    I'd like to make my own Jedi costume, but deathly afraid of NEEDLES!! Guess I'll have someone do it for me...like k kanos...LOL

9. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Cotton looks pretty good. I used on my costume and it hangs and moves correctly.

10. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Are you talking cotton twill or a soft cotton chamois, or maybe a flannel?

11. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    I dont really remember, it was a few years ago. I'de say the only way to judge for sure would be in person.

12. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    So how does meeting at 10am on Saturday, February 16th sound?

13. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Unless anyone has any objections I have set the date for this meeting to be on February 16th at 10AM. I've announced it on the Site on both the news and events pages.
    I'm thinking we ought to meet at a hardware shop first since some have expressed just making a sabre right now. Is there a specific Home Depot or Lowe's we want to meet at?

14. obi_john

obi_john Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2001
    Just curious, how much do you spend on supplies to make a lightsaber?

John

15. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I might be able to attend. I have a lot of family coming in that weeekend, so it'll be iffy.

16. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    obi john: I ended up spending 30 bucks on my first and favorite sabre, and about 40 bucks on my second.

Elan-Rai: If you cant do it then we can always do it the following Saturday.

17. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    The following Saturday might be better for me as well. I have a conflict this coming Saturday morning that I can't reschedule. See what's best for everone else interested too. :)

18. RocketX

RocketX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2002
    It seems like you all are going to do the Jedi Robe. I'm looking for an Imperial Officers cap and Shoulder patches. Anybody have any ideas? There use to be a supplier in California who advertised in Starlog, but That has been at least 10 years ago.

19. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    As far as the patches go, you could print them out from your computer and iron them on. If you have an hp or Epson plotter, you can try Transfermagic.net and order the iron ons there (limit is 10 sheets). If you only need a few, you can try Hobby Lobby off 96, they are a little more expensive, but it will save you shipping costs, plus you won't be paying for transfer sheets you don't need. Make sure you get the "transfer to dark" iron-ons. They are washable and work well. That's what I'm using for our T-shirts.

20. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Well it appears that a few people cant do this Saturday so how about next Saturday (Feb. 23)?

21. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I could probably do it that night (23rd) after work. 7pm-ish or so?

22. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Maybe I could meet with you seperately, Jay. Your just making a sabre right now right?

Driving all over the place on a Saturday night would be crazy with our whole party. But if everyone is up to it then let's do it.

Who can do 10AM and who can do 7pm?

23. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Yup, sabre-only for me right now. I will do a Episode 2 Anakin outfit later on.

24. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I'm just interested in making the saber also right now. My seamstress friend is making my costume and I've already ordered all the accessories (belt, pouches, boots). I'm set on the costume I think. I just need a weapon.
    SCWWWWWIIIIIINNNNNNG!!! SCWWWWWAAAAAANNNNNNG!!! SCWWWWWIIIIIINNNNNNG!!!
    SCWWWWWAAAARRRRRRSSH! :eek: ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! There went my leg :( I better just stick to the single blade lightsaber for now :p [face_laugh]

Anytime next Saturday should be good for me. Just let me know when you are going to the hardware stores for lightsaber parts and I'll meet up with you guys then. BTW the Cool springs area has a Lowes, Wal-mart, and Home Depot and Hobby town USA . Hobby Lobby is right down the road on 96 also.

JediToren, you might want to scout out the fabric stores in the area first. I noticed quite a shortage on brown fabrics. Hobby Lobby had some last time I checked. Buenas suerte ;)

25. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    There is a Jo Ann's fabric store in the Cool Springs area. When I went, there was a decent selection of linen/cotton blends for tunics, but not much for robes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.