main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Jedi costuming meeting sign-up thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by JediToren, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Speaking of fabric, would they have something decent for bluescreening use?

2. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Probably, but you have to remember that the width of fabric is only about two yards wide, so you'll have to drape multiple lengths of fabric to encompass your film frame length. As far as cost goes, Wal-mart & Hobby Lobby seem to have the best prices of the places I've checked thus far. Hobby Lobby's selection is somewhat greater than that of Wal-marts. You might even try a little web surfing and see if you can get a blue tarp for a reasonable cost rather than having to sew multiple lengths of fabric together. Its at least worth a try I think. ;)

3. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Hmmmm.. blue tarp.. Never thought of that. Does that stuff wrinkle badly?

4. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    You know what, come to think of it, I think some pool tarps are the blue you are looking for. You might check out a pool supply place. Whether they crease or not, I don't know. You can also look on a website I just checked out called BuyTarpsOnline.com For a 15' x 8' blue/ black tarp, the cost is less than $50. What color blue, I have no idea. You might even check out Lowes or Home Depot. As to what size, I don't know.

I hope this helps :)

5. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Thanx a mill. I'll check it out. :)

6. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Wal-Mart or Lowes might have a tarp you could use. But depending on how big an area you need to screen, you may need more than one.

7. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    The only problem you would have with a tarp is that they usually have a glossy appearance, and that would make lighting it a problem.

There are few companies out there on the net that sell bluescreen and greenscreen material:

Composite Components
    Pro Cyc
    ViewerCom Chromatte

8. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I just got an idea. What if you bought a white king sized bed sheet and used that RIT dye? They have it at both Michaels & Hobby Lobby. Just make sure you mix it well so that you don't get any splotching or a tye-die appearance. If I were looking to save money, I might try that first. Just make sure that the bed sheet is relatively thick and that there is no lighting behind the sheet when you film.

9. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    I started to suggest last night, using a blue bedsheet. Might be cheaper and easier to buy a blue one than dye a white one.

10. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Ok, back to the topic,...
    I think we decided on Saturday the 23. It seems the Cool Springs area may be a good place to meet. Now we just need a time and a place.

11. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    How does this sound:

Time: Saturday, Feb. 23 at 10:00AM
    Place: Home Depot in Cool Springs

Those who are interested in just doing a sabre right now can meet here first and then those who want to work on the costume can go on to some fabric supply places.

Any recommendations for places to go?

12. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Again, I can do Saturday except I can't do anything until after 5pm.

13. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I may end up meeting you guys a little late. I have to take my dog in at 9 to the vet for a check-up. I'll be there as soon as I can. ;)

14. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Would it be better to wait until 11, maybe 12?

15. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    Whatever is best for everyone else I suppose. :)

This just in from the official site:

Star Wars Celebration II Costume Contest
    *Sunday, May 5; 1:30 - 4:00 PM
    Sagamore Ballroom
    Indiana Convention Center

Bummer for me. :( I'm leaving Sunday Morning. Oh well. I'm sure someone dressed as a Bounty Hunter will win anyway ;) .

Check out this LINK to download the form coming soon.

"Mail your completed form to the designated address. You're ready to strut your stuff! The postmark deadline for Costume Contest registration is April 19, 2002."

Costume Categories
    When you fill out the registration form you will select a category for your costume from these options on the entry blank:

Hero
    Villain
    Alien
    Technology (Droids, ships, vehicles, weaponry, etc.)
    Pot Luck (Anything not covered above!)
    Child (Infant to 13 years, all costume types)
    Talent
    There will be a winner in each category, and a "Best of Show" winner chosen from the category winners.

BTW Anthony Daniels will be MCing the event wearing his Threepio costume "...and I thought I'd join in the spirit of Celebration I by wearing my own Goldenrod outfit." Cool :D

16. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Extreme coolness. ;)

17. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    We may also want to check out Radio shack for switches and stuff if Home Depot or Lowes doesn't have what we are looking for.

As far as fabrics go, Wal-mart had a whole roll of brown cotton fabric this morning (I had to pick up a few extra yards for my costume). I also know that hobby lobby has some cotton fabrics too.

I just got the cadet boots I ordered from grand prix that JediToren recommended. Not to bad for $35, except they are a little large for me. I'll just stick some thick shoe in soles in them and I'll be stylin. I also just received my Jedibelt from Park Sabers and jedi pouches from a friend of Matt's. BTW parksabers has some cool looking lightsabers that actually have the lighted shaft, but be ready to shell out a few hundred smackaroos. For that much money, I would rather have an authentic licensed replica. My seamstress friend is currently working on my costume. All I need is a lightsaber and I'm good to go :D

18. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    You ought to bring your belt to the March 1st meeting. I plan on bringing a few of my props and costume pieces as well.

As far as the glowing blades go, there is a company that sells conversion kits for allot less than parks (though parks includes machined sabres with them as well) and the battires will list like 5 hours. But the problem with most, if not all, of these glowing blades is that they are non removable and it really sucks to have to carry around a sabre in your hands all day. The nice thing about a sabre hilt is u can stick on your belt all day.
    That's one of the reasons Chewie's bowcaster is a low priority for me, no holster and no shoulder strap.

19. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Well it looks like the following people are in:

k kanos
    JediToren
    Scruff

Since Scott has to go to the vet at 9, and Ken has to work in the morning, how about we reschedule for 1PM at the Home Depot in Cool Springs?

20. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Earlier I had found some green wool (30% off) in M'boro, that would have been perfect for my robe. Unfortunately, they only had 2 yards and none of their sister stores had enough either. I may have to go with a cotton for my robe. I need to get a little more tunic material too.

21. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    Thanks for rescheduling around me, but I'm sorry I missed you guys. I didn't check the boards after I left work Friday and was on the go Saturday morning and actually made it over to Home Depot shortly after 10 and of course didn't see any of you. I didn't find much there except a doorbell switch that looked like it could make a cool lightsaber switch. I went over to Lowes and got a small yellow energizer flashlight with a rubber handle and a 10" steel pipe. The handle was threaded and fit right on the pipe. COOLNESS :D I didn't work on it but 10 minutes though as I have been busy trying to get the shirts done for the meeting. How I'm going to saw through that steel pipe, I have no idea. I worked on it for 5 minutes with a hack saw blade for cutting metal and I think I maybe cut through 1/16 of an inch. OUCH!!! Maybe Lowes will be kind enough to cut it for me. I'm really curious to see what you guys found and how you put it all together.

22. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I will bring the two I have made to the meeting. If Dylan makes it in time, I am sure he will bring his too.

Bring what you have to the meeting. I'd like to see what you and everyone has achieved. ;)

23. Cam Nalob

Cam Nalob Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2000
  24. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Steel pipe? Yeah, you're gonna be sawing awhile on that. I think most people go over to
    the sink and drain parts and get a chrome plated pipe made of brass. It cuts real easily
    and is nice and shiny.

25. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Hey Scruff, would you be interested in hooking up before our meeting on Friday? I'd like to see what parts you used to make your sabres. We could slide on over to Lowe's and check out their drain pipes, etc. Let me know what ya think. :)

PS: This goes for anyone else that wants to meet too... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.