main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Jedi Costuming Workshop / June Activitty

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Handyman, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

My wife and I are putting on a Jedi Costuming workshop on Saturday, June 21st at 2:00pm. This will NOT be at my place, so if you're interested in coming, please E-mail or PM me for the address. The workshop will be our June activity. This is your chance to create your own Jedi costume. Assistance will be given in cutting out fabric, sewing, and fitting. You will need to bring your own fabric and thread. Suggestions are given below. Also, if you have your own sewing machine, please it it with you.(That is if it's portable ;)) My wife will also have her serger there for quick seam construction. Please be sure to RSVP on how many costumes you plan to make that day so I can plan appropriately. Here are the suggested materials to bring for the workshop...

Jedi Robe
    Material: The actual movie Jedi Robes were made from a heavy wool. Some costumers think it's an "Egytian Wool." Wool can be quite expensive; usually $12-$25 per yard. It's also fairly difficult to find in significant quantaties at most fabric stores this time of year. The amount you need depends on the width and, of course, the size of the person it's going to fit. Here are some suggested amounts...

60" wide - (preferable)
    * Adults = 5-6 yards
    * Teens = 4 yards
    * Kids = 3 yards

45" wide
    * Adults = 5.5-6.5 yards
    * Teens = 4.5-5 yards
    * Kids = 3.5-4 yards

[ACCURATE] - If you want a robe made from wool, I suggest you try The Stitching Corner in Orem. They have the best local selection of wool.

[MIDRANGE] - Hancock fabrics in Orem has some great looking fleece in the perfect brown color on sale for $4/yard. It has a nice weight to it and drapes very well. Please also be aware that this will be a pretty HOT costume for a Summer day but quite nice for Halloween.

[BUDGET] - Of course you can make a robe out of anything you want, but you want a nice color, texture, and feel to the fabric. I found some cheap drapery fabric on clearance for $1.50/yard at Family Fabrics(Next to Michael's Craft Store) in Orem. This fabric is a high polyester blend but it's in a nice color and, as a drapery fabric, has an unusually heavy weight. As of yesterday, there's about 5-6 yards left. I bought 14 yards myself. :D

Jedi Tunic
    The tunics that Jedi wear vary in texture and color. Choose a fabric that best suits your taste. Most people like a light beige crinkle or gauze type fabric. You can also go quite cheap with muslin. Once again, really any type of fabric or color will do. It would be best to choose a color in an earthtone palette and a texture that will feel comfortable next to your skin.

45"-60" wide
    * Adults = 5 yards
    * Teens = 4 yards
    * Kids = 3 yards
    - If you do get 45" wide fabric, you might want to add a yard or so if you want to make tabbards.

Jedi Belt
    Jedi Belts can really range in price from the quite cheap to $400 each. At the workshop, we'll discuss having a leatherworker create a custom belt. For those of you who would like to have a sharp-looking cheap belt, bring a yard or so of a brown or black vinyl. I will have some metal rings and other assorted hardware to add detail. Also bring a few strips of velcro to attach the belt with.

Jedi Boots
    As most of you know, I really stress accurate footwear to complete a good looking costume. At the workshop, we'll discuss different options for obtaining a great pair of boots from those that are custom made to how to correctly spray paint leather(it can be done) and the best places to look for bargains. We'll also give you tips on how to create spats(boot covers). We will not be making spats at this workshop.

Please post a reply if you have any questions.

Later,

2. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    I regret to inform you we will not be in attendance as Michael has a Cub Scout day camp he will be attending.

3. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Sorry to hear that, Navaren. Have fun Cubbing.

4. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Mike, I think I've got 3 people (including me) lined up who'd like to do both the workshop and the shoot.

Can you pm or email me with the location?

Thanks!

5. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Andakin,

PM has been sent. ;)

We'll talk on Saturday about the Jedi Extras roles and film crew opportunities for the 27th.

Later,

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Dang. I'm not going to be able to make it to the workshop or to the shoot. Sigh.

Dana

7. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.