main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Jedi costuming

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Magpie Jen, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Hi there,

After corresponding with Jedi_Ranger_007 a bit on this topic, I thought it would be a shame to waste some of the work I put into advice on making Jedi costume. I hope it doesn't seem presumptuous of me to post this here - I'm not like the authority or anything and I hope instead that this thread can be a place we all pitch in to help each with Jedi costuming.

So, onto my advice on the JEDI ROBE

On USING WOOL:

I really believe the robes should be wool:
    1 - screen accurate
    2 - drapes the best - wool just looks better than any other alternative for robes
    3 - stays clean and naturally wrinkle free when you hang them
    4 - cool when it's hot, and warm when it's cold
    5 - one of the easiest and most forgiving fabrics to sew with. Really. Once you sew with wool it is hard to even consider polyesters any more.

The only drawback is that wool can be more expensive, harder to find and, rarely, people are truly allergic to it. Don't worry about scratchiness though - you're wearing your gear under it and you should be getting a smooth wool that shouldn't be too scratchy anyway.

If you can't use wool go through the store and touch things til you find something that feels like wool and is both heavy and smooth in the hand. Get something that doesn't wrinkle too much. This is one of the problems with using cotton or linen for a robe - unless you are careful about ironing your robe.

I would also buy something WOVEN, not a KNIT. Robes are heavy and knits stretch weirdly with that much strain on them.

PATTERNS:

There are lots of robe patterns out there to choose from made by the major commercial pattern companies - you certainly don't need to look for Jedi specific ones (though they do have some SW knockoffs).

I think the best discussions on movie-specific robes are found here:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml
    http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/robe.html
    http://www.padawansguide.com/gifs/diane_jedi1.jpg
    Though these are especially relevant to ObiWan's Ep I robe. These pages probably also have enough information that you could draft your own robe pattern without having to buy anything.

However, if you're going to find a ready-made pattern, you should decide your general robe look - there are lots of little differences in the movie robes.

For instance, Ep I robes had no shoulder seams, a plain sloping shoulder, a center back seam, wide rectangular sleeves, a large hood that's gathered in the back, etc. While Ep 2 and 3 robes (at least on ObiWan) have little tucks on the shoulders to make them look broader, for instance.
    http://www.padawansguide.com/obiwan/images/obi_wan_vf.jpg

Anakin in Ep 2 had a robe that doesn't have sleeves - it's cut so that lengths of fabric fall down in front of his shoulders:
    http://www.padawansguide.com/anakin/costume/jedi/anakin_naboo.jpg

I've just browsed the big pattern company websites for likely candidates:

McCalls 8936
    http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/40000/itm_img/M8936.jpg
    The view done in blue might do for a 'robe' like Anakin's without sleeves, but with the drapey things in front. One might want to make the front drapes narrower and bring the slits at the sides up higher. Also make the hood bigger.

Simplicity 4450
    http://www.simplicity.com/assets/4450/4450.jpg
    http://www.simplicity.com/assets/4450/4450fb.gif
    I can't believe how long it took before a pattern marketed directly at Jedi that doesn't look too cheesy came out, but here it is. It does have a robe and it looks like it might even have the little shoulder tucks. The hood in the drawing looks a little small, but in the picture it looks bigger.

As always, if you're going to use expensive fabric it really really really makes sense to make the pattern up first in an old bed sheet or the cheapest fabric you can find (ie make a muslin) so you can make modifications in the cheap stuff. Also, you can use the muslin as a pattern when you cut the expensive fabric and you can predict even better exactly how much wool you'd need to buy.

Do yourself a favour and look like a profe

2. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Fabulous information, Jen!! This should definitely be made a sticky topic!

3. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Awesome costuming info. The next time I make a hardware sabre, I'll document it and post to complement the robe info.

4. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    My Costume Is Complete! I got Jedi boots today! They are very similar to Dr. Haggis' boots. They are just what I was looking for and they were on sale. Yipee!

5. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Hey there - always a happy day if buying footwear is involved :) Where did you find them, if you don't mind sharing?
    Jen

6. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I got them at Lammle's in Market Mall. They feel good.

7. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    My 2-cents on Jedi footwear is this.

Put cushioning insoles in your boots.

After a long day of trooping, your feet will thank you.

8. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I got some Dr. Scholl's today. I am now Jedi gellin'. Thanks Dr. Haggis!

9. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Speaking of boots..........does anyone know of any good shoe/boot-smiths (or whatever they are called)?

I'm thinking about getting a few mods done to my boots: new outer sole with heavy tread, and enlarging the calf area.

10. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Ain't that the truth! I spent 14 hours in my Fett gear at CIII. I could hardly walk by the time we got back to the hotel but I dragged myself to the nearby drug store and bought some gel heel inserts. Best dang purchase ever! I was totally able to go again in the gear and not suffer so much.

11. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Jedi Ranger - I think what you're looking for is a 'cobbler'.

12. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Jedi Ranger - You know those little shoe repair places run by ma and pa that you see around? I would go to any of them and just ask. It's great to support your local cobbler and I always feel motherly and worried that they don't get enough business. And no doubt you will get an excellent deal. But if you don't find a small local place, I might also try Alberta Boot company - they make custom boots so I imagine they can do some mods - might be expensive through them though.

Jen

13. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Thanks guys. I'll keep my eyes open when I go to Calgary.

14. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I just finished making some tabbards out of more scraps from the coat with which I made my outer tunic. Will post pics whenever I get ppl to take some, or maybe I'll be able to make it to the monday meeting in costume.

15. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I have to say the Dr. Scholls are really good. Many of us wear them at my wotkplace and they last a long time.

16. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    I dragged my sleepy self to Fabricland for their one-day sale on January 1. I bought a whole bunch of wool at 50% plus 10% off - navy, cream and medium brown. I'm going to see if I ended up with enough for a robe for Mr Smith.

So I was thinking that if anyone wanted to sort of work along at the same time as me, we could have a little robe-support-group.

Jen

17. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    [face_dancing] Just found out that the Fabricland off Mcleod Trail has the best selection in the city right now for patent leather in many cool styles and decent prices. I think it is on Fisher Rd. close to Tandy leather. I think some of our members were looking for this.

18. kasious

kasious Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    hey me and my buddy were woundering whats the best way to get jedi costums cause we cant sow and we dont know any one who can make the whole get up any info would be good thanx

19. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Kasious - if you're asking where you can BUY them, unfortunately, no one sells them. George Lucas forbids anyone from making money by re-creating his art, and, even if we DID know someone who sews Jedi Robes and sells them, the rules on these message boards forbid us from advertising (i.e. posting) about them.

Don't give up, though! Ask around a bit - I'm sure there's someone out there with a sewing machine who is willing to help you make some... and they're REALLY not that difficult to make.

20. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Have you searched the internet? Have you looked at the other forums here? Don't be afraid to venture outside the Calgary section. These forums are HUGE!!

21. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    As a start, the following links are some of the best resources for Jedi clothing and props:

http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/p1
    http://apfoister.proboards9.com/index.cgi
    http://www.padawansguide.com/index.shtml

22. Cobers

Cobers Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    well i understand that u cant post on here and i have seen people that sell jedi robes but there about 450 american is the cheapest i have found if they get caught its there own fault lol i can make my own robe vea people i know but i dont know whats the best way to go about making the inner tunic so if i could get tips on that as like what makes a good inner tunnic or if any one is willing to sew one for me and my friend kasious we would be eturnaly gratfull but anyways what makes a good tunic because we are talking about starting filming the eps next month thanx

23. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Cobers,

The three links that DrHaggis posted are the very best sources for tips and tricks on how to make Jedi Robes.

I myself made my robes (and DrHaggis' robes) based entirely on what those web sites had to offer. My "Tip" is to check those web sites out, because they're awesome.

Good luck!

~ veritate :)

24. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    To assist you along the path of Jedi costuming, check out this site
    http://www.padawansguide.com/innertunic.shtml

It gives more information than I am willing to type on the materials and patterns for the inner tunic.

When you get to the next step let us know. Many of us have made costumes and/or props and are willing to help you get started, or assist when you have a specific problem, but you must take much of the initiative yourself.

25. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    I'm here for the Jedi Robes Support Group. Am I in the right place? :p

I'm going to be having a massive cutting weekend and I THINK I'm going to work on Luminara and Bariss. Plus I'm doing three sets of the very Jedi like inner tunic/pants for the Royal Guards....if that dang fabric shows up on my doorstep tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.