Jedi costuming

Discussion in 'Calgary, AB' started by Magpie Jen, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I've decided that considering the expensive of making a wool robe, I think I will buy one online. I just don't want to risk runing such expensive material. And on that note, I may have found a sweet (wool) robe (creator) for just under $200 (US).

I've made one for myself, discovered many things that I should have done differently, and may remake it in the future, but.....I'll have to see.
  2. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hope your robe turns out well JediRanger!

Sure, I'm still in for Jedi Robe Support - I won't have a chance to start cutting fabric for at least a week from now, but I would love to work virtually onside :)

Jen
  3. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pictures of my new belt and modified robes can be found at the bottom of this page.

http://public.fotki.com/ShatirLavan/lightsabres/
  4. Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Master

star 4
    What a great week, mail package-wise!!

I finally got my machined Obi-Wan (Ep.1) EL lightsaber (on Tuesday) and today (Friday) I got my 100% wool robe AND a rare Macross book from Japan.

Everything is freakin' amazing!!

The Obi-Wan hilt is slightly smaller than I had imagined it would be, but it actually almost 100% matches blueprints I've found online. Now, I don't know how accurate these blueprints are, but I imagine they are pretty darn close to the actual props. I will have pics on my site soon, including comparison shots with other hilts, such as my favorite personal creation, and some MR Force FX sabers.

The robe is WAY better than anything I could ever hope to make myself, and was (lots of) money WELL spent. It even has pleats on the back neck/hood seam. If I may, I'd like to recommened the maker: Eve Mulligan (aka speedystitches, on eBay). I think I just need to come up with some kind of throat/neck securing mechanism. Just have to decide on what style. I have several thoughts, but does anyone have any recommendations? Is there anything "official" movie-related?

5. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good job on getting a decent robe!

There enough shots that indicate that there is a clasp at the neck on some of the Jedi cloaks, but nothing visable. A simple hook and eye should work, as long as it can not be seen.

Maybe some people with a copy of "Dressing the galaxy" can shead more light on the cloak clasp.
  6. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have 3 hooks and eyes running the length of my mantle to keep the entire upper section closed.
  7. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    So does anyone have some extra sintra they want to get rid of? I'm making a clone wars Anakin costume for conversion and I need some sintra for the shoulder armour. I've made a cardboard mockup and I estimate I will need about 2' by 4' (2times 2'by2' will work though).
  8. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    I could sell you some from my stash - I'll get back to you with the price, I've forgotten what it was. We can talk about it at Saber Class maybe.

Jen
  9. Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Master

star 4
    Is there a source for this stuff in Calgary? This summer I'd like to try making a similar costume. Or maybe something else, with armour.
  10. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    The best place to ask would bo on the badlands board. Those guys live for sintra.

Jodo_Kast_Unleashed(Jordan) would be the guy to ask.

Ryan
  11. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Orcs also live for this stuff :)

A lot of plastic/sign suppliers in the yellow pages here in Calgary sell Sintra. Everytime I've looked for it I had no trouble finding a place to sell some to me, even though they are wholesalers and I am a regular non-industry citizen. They have multiple colours and thicknesses. The only problem I found is that you have to buy a minimum of one big sheet - mine were about 8 feet by 4 feet or so. Which is why I have extra.

Jen/Shagrat
  12. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was watching AVP yesterday thinking it would also make great Predator armour. But my next pred costume will probably be at least another year away, I've got too much on my plate as it is.
  13. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Since I was interested in pricing out Sintra, I did a little calling around.

I called 3 places and they all sell sintra in 4'x8' sheets - I asked for black of 1/8" thickness, but they have other colours. Prices varied alot. I wonder if the extremely low price at GE is actually a wholesale to industry price or whether the receptionist was clueless (she seemed a little clueless)? I would suggest calling these places ahead of time so they can get the stuff out of the warehouse, etc, for you and to confirm prices. Anyway, here they are:

Industrial Plastics: 5558 First St SE ph 252 8368
    $63.17 a sheet

Laird Plastics: 3125 16 St NE ph 250 9298 (I don't think they really want to sell to non-industry types though.)
    $48.72 a sheet

GE Polymershapes: 1440 Aviation Park NE ph 250 1670
    $33.93 a sheet (!)

Jen
  14. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Industrial Plastics would be the last place I would buy from anymore. They used to be good. I bought my first set of polycarbonate blades for my sabers there. Cost me $40 for 2 8 foot x 3/4" lengths. The next time I went there they said 40 bucks for 1 lenght. But its the only place to buy plasti-dip in a spray can in town.

15. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    GE Polymershapes is good i bought my sintra there, well the one in edmonton :p
  16. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah...I usually pay around $40 including GST on an 8 x 4 foot sheet of Sintra. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than that. Jodo certainly knows the most about it. I've worked with it enough to know it has an attitude when it wants. But I love it and have a lot of fun with it!
  17. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for the sintra Jen. In 3 hours last night I cut out the pieces, shaped them, and put them together in a beta version of my armour. WHen I'm finished I'll make a Jedi shoulder armour tutorial.
  18. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Here are my pictures of 3/4 complete Anakin Skywalker Clone Wars shoulder armour.
    http://public.fotki.com/ShatirLavan/lightsabres/page2.html
  19. Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I spent alot of money (on Thursday), and I'm hoping to get my costume closer to my vision of my character, by the time Comic Expo rolls around. I might not have my leather lightsaber holster(s) done, nor a leather belt with pouches, but my 'gaitors' (no, not greaves), should be finished. As long as the buckles I ordered get here in time.
  20. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Would someone be able to make a list of possible criteria for the costume contest at conversion? If there are rules for canon/originality, materials, construction technique, etc. I'd really like to get some information on what the judges will consider to be a "good" costume.
  21. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Every year at every con is different, and Magpie Jen is the real expert at this, but here is a little of what you can expect.

The judges don't care about what your costume is made out of. It really depends on how it looks. A fantastic cardboard robot could win over a metal and glass monstrosity.

The judges don't care about "canon." They may not even be familiar with the universe of the costume one made. But they do need to place it into some sort of context.

Any photos showing elements of your costume from history, TV or movies can be provided to the judges to show them how accurately you recreated it. If your costume is based of a character in a book, give them highlighted passages to read and compare. The workmanship judges will look at your stitching, paintjob and your attention to detail.

Totally original costumes (those without any reference material) are judged on their own merits of craftsmanship, attention to detail, uniqueness and creativity.

There are also points given to the quality of your presentation. Single entrants usually only have enough time to do a short stroll and twirl around the stage to show off their work. You can provide the contest runners with a disk of music to play during your presentation, and written introduction is given to the MC. Short skits can be done but contestants will not be given a microphone. The rule of thumb for a presentation is: short beats long, funny beats serious.

Judging is also based on your class. The usual breakdown is Child/Novice/Journeyman/Master. There is a semi-formal ranking system based on how many local, regional, national, international contests you win, but you can pretty much rank yourself. If one is a professional costume/prop builder you are automatically in the master class (or should be).

You also have to declare any major parts of your costume that you purchased. A contestant rarely makes his/her footwear, so that?s a non-starter, but if you did, let them know about it. If you commissioned portions of your costume it is important to let them know. One year a guy entered a commercially made bat costume, without any significant alterations: very bad form.

Judging sounds complicated, but it really is all in fun.
  22. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    The year I competed, one of the questions was "What do you think you should win an award for?". I told them I worked my butt off on 1) losing enough weight to look good in my costume (which took far longer than making the costume) and 2) trying to sew 2 separate wigs together to make one passable wig.

I won an award for "Best Wig Work". So really, the categories are malliable! Point out to the judges the parts that took the most time and were the hardest to complete.
  23. LEXIAL Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hello everyone! Just looking for some advice on some items. I am looking to buy a brand new sewing machine...Singer I have heard is supposed to be good. Are there any other brands someone could recommend that are average price, as well I am looking for advice on styling wigs. I am in the process of buying a plain wig and will try to copy a hair style. Any advice would be helpful ...I was told fabric softner sheets help with static but there are special styling creams and stuff that can be used to have a clean and smooth finish. What would be good to secure it with. I could use bobbie pins however I have heard of special clips people use?
  24. ravencrow666 Jedi Knight

star 1
    i am now on to my 2nd jedi costume colored all black i just got the material for my new costume which should be all done by convertion. maby i'll have contacts by this time as well
    [face_skull] ]-} [face_praying] [face_laugh]
  25. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    On Judging Masquerades/Costume Contests:

Don't worry about it much your first time. Just do it. The audience is receptive and friendly and the judges who talk to you (the workmanship judges) are not critical, they just want to learn about your costume. I loved my first costume contest! After you get through your first one, you'll have a better sense what they're like - a much better idea than any of us could ever give you by just telling you about it.

Also, you are judged according to your level of experience. If it's your first contest, you're a Novice and you are wonderful for just having the courage to come out! You will be judged along with the other Novices (except for Best In Show).

The main awards are given by judges who sit in the audience. They will be too far away to see all the detail involved in a costume - so here the presentation and characterization as well as the overall effect and impact of your costume are the most important aspects. This is where Kent's advice ( 1) Short is better than long 2) funny is better than serious and 3) short and funny is best) is excellent. Don't get me wrong - a serious presentation can be awesome, but especially when you're dealing with something that SF audiences have seen tonnes of (like Jedi), you might be better off with a 'twist'. Practise your presentation in front of someone though - make sure it actually is funny if that's what you're going for. Also, it's absolutely perfectly acceptable for you to have them play some appropriate music, just walk out, turn around (show your back), strike a characteristic pose and walk off. That's all I did my first contest (and I won Best Novice). There's something to be said for simplicity, and especially your first time, I would recommend not trying to do anything too complicated out there on stage.

A special category of awards are often given called Workmanship Awards. This is close-up judging of the work you've put in to actually building the costume. It's often optional, or you can elect to just have the workmanship judge look at a specific piece or prop that you are especially proud of. It usually occurs before the stage presentations begin. Here I would say the keys would be 1) quality craftmanship and 2) complexity.

The above bits are what I think is the most important advice I have to give. The rest below is more advanced-level discussion on much finer points.

I would differ a little with DrHaggis's statement that the judges don't care about 'canon' (though I know what he's getting at and agree). Generally judges let you tell them if your costume is a "Recreation" or an "Original". If you are making a recreation they will judge you according to how well you reproduced your inspiration - so in the case of a film worn costume, for example, part of your success will depend on how well you followed the 'canon' of that particular costume. The workmanship judges like to hear about how you looked for images or screen caps that showed the back of the costume, or read about what materials were used by the film costume designer, etc.

When you differ from what you know is 'canon' then they like to hear why you chose to do so. It might be because no reasonable person could exactly reproduce something - it's prohibitively expensive to get a mill in India to custom-produce an embroidered brocade, for instance. Or your interpretation/presentation has something of twist - you are purposefully putting a Hogwart's wand onto your lightsaber belt or whatever (so this is the sense in which they don't care about 'canon'). This also means that a recreation is sometimes not exactly a recreation of a specific costume - so they care instead about how well you tied the costume into the source material.

Also, I should mention that it's not just visual sources that recreations come from - they can also be reproductions of descriptions in books, in which case they'll like to see how well you translated all the written material into a 3D costume.

Final note about recreations - don't assume a judge knows what character you a
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.