main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JEDI COUNCIL - UPDATE: "family board" no longer allowed

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    JEDI COUNCIL UPDATE - CR ANNOUNCMENT
    DarthJurist has made the following ruling in another thread, concerning the use of the term "family board"...
    Using *family forum* more than occasionaly is not going to fly, ESPECIALLY if you are directing ?hidden? swears at people. A personal attack is a personal attack is a personal attack. As a general rule, substituting characters or symbols to alter naughty language is not allowed

As a result, the use of "family board" or any other codeword/phrase for swearing is no longer going to be allowed. I'm sorry to have to lay down the law like this...but it's the ruling of our RSA, and I will enforce the decisions of Fanforce and theforce.net. And before anyone mentions that in DarthJurist's ruling it says, more than occasionaly. Let's just say that I know sometimes, things are said out of emotion...I'm keeping that in reserve for EXCESSIVE swearing/"family board" use.

I will be more forgiving about SW-related words (slimo, bantha fodder) but the real-life swearing has got to stop.

2. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Hear Hear. Some people where abusing that rule since it began.

3. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
  4. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    We did abuse it. Why am I saying we I didn't EVER use it.

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Just to add a word, this is not necessarily a 'new' rule, more of a reminder.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM myself or BobaFemme, or post in this thread.

~H~

6. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I find this excessive filtering to be annoying.

7. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I second that...there isn't a person in the world who hasn't heard a bad word. I say deal with it, but that's just me...

8. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    aw! well, snotrags and frogfarts! i was just getting used to typing "*(family board)*"...

was starting to flow right out of the fingers and everything...

-b-

9. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    aw! well, snotrags and frogfarts!

EEEEeeeeewwww! 8-}

Although it reminds me of an SNL skit spoofing Iron Chef....one of the special ingredients was "eel farts".

~H~

10. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    I think this is a little extreme. It wasn't that bad to begin with. It's one thing to call someone a lazy *expletive deleted*. It's another thing to say "*expletive deleted*! I lost my keys!"

11. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Why don't you just quote Jules Asner from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, when she's reading their Internet post on E! News Daily...

12. jangoboy71

jangoboy71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2002
    can we put up little stars like ****! I lost my keys!

13. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I think we should filter any exclamation we use here.

That said... jango! bad boy!
    you almost said "nuts! i lost my keys!"

-b-

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    typing "*(family board)*"...
    was starting to flow right out of the fingers and everything...

That's the problem...it WAS happening far too often. There are rules set-up by Fanforce, and it's my responsibility to enforce them. We've talked about keepin the boards "PG-rated" that means following the rules of conduct established in Terms of Service...if you haven't, i suggest you read them.

there isn't a person in the world who hasn't heard a bad word...yes, but that doesn't mean it's OK.

15. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    Well I guess someone is serious. Some ppl *cough-Grn-* are getting banned for what they have typed in THIS thread. I'm all for "keeping it clean" and "PG" but sheesh.... :mad:

16. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    Hmmmm. Why is it that I do not post at TFN all that much? Oh THAT'S right. Because of situations such as this one.

And no one wants to keep these boards PG-rated. They want to keep them G rated. I know that in most PG movies I have seen you will hear words like "hell, damn, piss, ****, bitch, bastard" and the like. I suppose I have a banning coming my way. And ya know what? I don't give a rabid rat's ass either way.

The Powers That Be need to go back and re-write their terms of service. Because I have seen a ton of mods and admins on these very boards cuss and flame on a pretty constant basis with NO bannings to speak of.

TFN as a whole needs to clean up it's mods and admins before banning people for saying ****.

Patrick

17. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    And whatever you say, DO NOT say that this thread is 'gay'.

;)

18. DarthKlown2

Nov 17, 2000
    And one more thing. What happened to the "if you hear it on the Simpsons it is OK to say here" rule?

Patrick

19. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    OMG... If I ever DO decide to go into politics and run for President... I'm choosing DarthKlown as my second-in-command... 4 asterisks never hurt anybody... and if it's a problem, then why don't we just get an unrestricted thread where we put a disclaimer that there's swearing and such... that way people can cuss all they want and no one will have any problems, and parents can't complain because their children were warned with the disclaimer... For God's sake, we have a First Amendment right to freedom of speech... I don't see why we can't exercise that right, especially if we warn people that it's coming... And I know a BUNCH of people, myself, KRASH (I'm just pointing you out cuz you're CR, and while I know it's not your rule and I know you need to enforce it because of the forum rules, I'm just using you as an example in this position of authority to show to those who created these forum rules why the rules are ridiculous), others included, cuss up a storm at meetings... which I see no problem with... why is it any different on here? This is crazy, and shouldn't even be an issue. I'M AN AMERICAN WHO CAN SAY WHAT I WANT... LET ME SAY IT!!!

20. Netvudu

Netvudu Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2000
    "family board" censored?...this place must be some kind of forum-joke...

Wana know something? you can use ANY kind of word to cover an insult or a personal attack. ANY...so in fact you have to censor all the words in the world. This will undoubtly make all the threads to be something like

"**** *** ***** *** *** *** ! hahah!"

(pretty informative if you ask me.) This kind of things are what make this place to be known all around the net for the ridiculously low quality of their mods. They seem to use brainless droids instead of mods. Mods of TFN! Think! Use your brain! Rules are there to be interpreted! Don´t freeze someone into carbonite because he used the word "member"! ;D

By the way, you´d better mail me my banning or I won´t notice it. I post like once a year...thanks a lot.

EDIT- yeah, I´m that kind of guy in his mid-twenties but with the typical smartass teenager attitude. You´re great knowing people on a first sight. :D

21. DarthKlown2

Nov 17, 2000
    Random let me tell you the Company Line around here about the 1st Amendment (believe me I know, I have had this debate on several ocassions): "TFN is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship. Our boards, our rules, our bandwidth. You don't like it, go somewhere else." I got a PM like that once from Scott or Josh (you know, the owners of this board), can't remember which.

Patrick

22. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    I have really mixed feelings on this topic. As an employee of an organization similar to the Jedi Archives, I support an individual's right to read or watch what they want. This viewpoint is easy to support when we're talking about books or videos or magazines which people can view in the privacy of their own homes without offending anyone else. But when we're talking about a Website that even a very young viewer could look at, I guess I am more supportive of those who want to limit some of the language. I have been known to use rough language myself especially at stupid drivers but again it's not in a public forum. Sorry if this sounds preachy or offends anyone. It is a complicated issue and believe me, we've had many discussions about freedom of speech here at the Jedi Archives.

23. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Thanks for the suport AmFilm Board members. ;)

Now. Since my original post was deleted, I'm going to re-post it as close to the original text as possible.

Ahem...

---

If someone were to censor themselves by saying *expletive deleted*, then doesn't that makes this board "PG"?

"R" rated movies that are show on TV are censored all the time for harsh language. The throw in a bleep, remove the word, or substitute it with something less offensive. Same thing that we're doing.

All members are to be 13+ to register. If the get the meaning, fine. That means that they already knew what it meant. If they didn't, then *expletive deleted* sure isn't gonna clue them in. No harm done either way.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm being completely serious in my points. I'm not asking for TFN to change it's rules. It's their board. But a little leniancy (sp) is all that I'm asking.

24. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    "...cuss up a storm at meetings... which I see no problem with... why is it any different on here?"

First of all, Eric...you are not my PR spokesperson. Please don't try to use me as an example...when you completly don't understand my position on this.

THIS IS MY OPINION: The no swearing rule is a policy of Fanforce and the jedi council forums; which as CR I am responsible to enforce. And while I may use bad-language occasionally (something I've made a point to cut down on over the last couple years)...that does not validate the use of it on the boards (or at meetings). Since you're told to read the "terms of service" when you register and it's available whenever you post (look at the bottom of the page)...it's YOUR responsiblity to follow the rules set-up by theforce.net...or accept the consequences!

And to our new friends who felt like proving my point...thank you for reminding me why I don't watch Jerry Springer!

25. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I watch Jerry Springer for this one episode with a certain Mullet on it... :D

To clarify any misunderstandings, I'm not expressing Krash's opinions, if you didn't understand that from his post, rather, I'm posting my own.

Let's look at the problem here people... the TERMS OF SERVICE... I suggest that Grn, DarthKlown, and any others who agree with me try go start a petition and rally more JC members to our cause... DEMAND FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN THIS DEMOCRACY OF HYPOCRISY!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.