main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi doomed from the start?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by yodaroksmysox, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaroksmysox

yodaroksmysox Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm not sure if someone along the way already talked about this but I began thinking of how the Jedi were actually pretty doomed from Episode I. Consider the Queen Amidala plotline, how even the JEDI (Qui-Gon especially), except for Obi-Wan who seemed like he knew because he was probably told when he was on the Royal Starship with her, had no idea that the handmaiden Padme was really the Queen. Now, it's obvious that they didn't sense this necessary and protective deception from someone who's on their side, or at least Qui-Gon didn't as far as we know. So, given this plot point, maybe it was obvious that they would easily be unable to discover the true identity of Palpatine as a wielder of the Darkside, especially because of their denial that the Sith "could've returned without us knowing". It was right under their nose the whole freaking time! Sometimes I wonder if Yoda knew it all along but chose not to do anything about it out of fear of what could happen as a result. Not a smart move!

Another thing, actually, in Episode II, when Yoda tells Padme that "seeing you alive again brings warm feelings to my heart", isn't it kind of weird that he's surprised she's alive because shouldn't he know that the Senator on that ship was just a decoy? See this goes back to the unable to discover identities thing. The Jedi are pretty freaking blind despite all their insight if you ask me, but I still cry when they're killed off in Episode III (amazing movie!). :_| I'm curious to see what you guys think about these plot points! [face_thinking]

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both knew that Padmé was Amidala and don't you think Yoda would be happy to see Padmé alive regardless of whether he knew?

They all know
    /LM

3. yodaroksmysox

yodaroksmysox Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    Um I'm pretty sure Qui-Gon had no idea. Recall the scene where they're all in the Naboo Forest ruins talking to Boss Nass in Ep 1. When Padme says, "No. I'M Queen Amidala," Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon exchange looks, and Obi-Wan's smirking and Qui-Gon has a look like, "Why didn't you tell me you SOB?" It's subtle but it's there and it lends to the fact that the Jedi were blind when it came to dual identities, which ultimately led to their demise. Also, the fact that Mace Windu even questions Anakin's revelation of Palps in Ep3 is enough to infer that they don't have the insight that really matters, that'll save them all. Denial's a harmful thing! But yea you're right about Yoda being happy to see her. She didn't even say thanks or anything either, she was just like "You have any idea who's behind this attack?" Kinda rude lol. Can't be ignoring Yoda like that!:eek: But yea, Yoda might've kinda known about Palpsall along too. Hard to tell....But was it smart to not act on that knowledge if he had it or was it smarter to just let things unfold naturally? IDK!!! Either way it sucked bigtime for the Jedi.[face_worried]

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Both Jedi knew about Padme's ruse. Lucas said it...um...somewhere. I can't remember, but trust me, I don't just make this stuff up.

Anyway, you are right though, they are doomed from the start. That's the point of the PT, the Jedi could no longer adapt to their circumstances, while the Sith (mainly Palpy) had it all figured out.

"Army or not, you must realize, you are doooooooooooooooooommmmmmmeeed!"

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He says it on the audio commentary for TPM, in the scene where Padmé reveals that she is Amidala.

Qui-Gon owns you
    /LM

6. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Question is whether they could not or whether they just would not, for me.

7. padme45anakin

padme45anakin Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2005
    In episode2 dosent Anakin tell padme that jedi mind tricks do not work on the weak minded thats probably why they didnt know padme was the queen she was very determined to keep the secret of her identity and plus she is definately not weak minded....you go girl

8. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I think that both Qui-Gon and Oi-Wan knew. if not ObiWan, tahn definately Qui-Gon. If Lucas says hey knew, then they knew...ofcourse he also said Greedo was always supose to shoot first, but thats a different topic for a different board. :)

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Qui-Gon knew, and Obi-Wan probably did too. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon exchange that look which, to me at least, shows that they were right all along. Watch the way Qui-Gon toys with her when she keeps saying things like "the Queen would not approve". Kind of like the way you try to get someone to admit to something when they are lying, and you know it, and they know that you know it.

10. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    You mean like "...Riiiiight..." or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.