Jedi: Dull people with exciting lives?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Esperanza_Nueva Force Ghost

star 6
    Now dont get me wrong, I love the jedi, but it seems like in their struggle to evade the darkside they are in turn denying themselves of any passion. I get the feeling that the Jedi are all very serious people who arent very fun-loving, good humored people. I can even see this difference in Luke between ANH and RotJ. He jokes around a lot more and is smiling more often earlier in the films, than later. He almost seems to detatch himself from the dreams, passions, and emotions that he felt when he was younger.

Does anyone else get these impressions from the Jedi? And if so, do you wish they had more character and less seriousness?
  2. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't want them to be any less serious. If you look at AotC, you know that the Jedi aren't so far gone that they are blank-faced in the face of humor - I mean, Obi-Wan's jokes are ... almost hilarious.

As far as leaving their passions aside (pardon my wording - I've had a very bad day), I think it's necessary. Everything about being a Jedi is finding your center, being calm and serene, and if you're joking half the time ... that just seems somehow contradictory.

Aunecah
  3. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Pretty much

I think a conversation a normal person had with a Jedi would last all of 2 minutes
  4. DarthSil Jedi Master

star 4
    Nah. I think they'd have a lot to talk about.
  5. FogeyKenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Danger,excitement...a Jedi craves not these things"

Both Yoda and Obi-wan demonstrated that they had a great sense of humor. I'm sure the responsibility of maintaining order in the galaxy made for a strict adherance to regimine and seriousness most of the time.
  6. Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think a Jedi can keep a sense of humor. For example "When 900 years you reach look this good you will not hmmm". They just need to make sure they use they're emotions correctly
  7. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like 'em the way they are. :)

I suppose some of them can be pretty serious, but I like that about them. Makes them seem less shallow than your average joe.

That being said, they do have senses of humor, as the others have pointed out. Obi-Wan jokes around all the time, but when it comes to matters of the Force, he knows when to stop with the wisecracks.
  8. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    I wouldn't say that the Jedi are dull. No doubt, they are serious most of the time, but that doesn't mean that they are boring to be with. You can know somebody who's serious yet find that it's extremely interesting to carry on a conversation with that person or do something with that person.

And of course, they also have a sense of humour. I would think that the Jedi are actually very interesting people, with wisdom that it seems that they are unlike ordinary people, and thus they may be viewed differently.
  9. Esperanza_Nueva Force Ghost

star 6
    I didnt only mean that I got the impression that Luke and others threw away their light-heartedness.. but also that they refrained from any emotion at all. Jedi seem very static.. as though they try as hard as possible to not feel anything.. to never be sad or overly cheerful, and most importantly they are not supposed to feel attachment such as love. they must feel very empty and dull inside because of the lack of these emotions, IMHO its as though when they train to control their feelings, they suppress them at the same time
  10. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, isn't that what it is to be a Jedi? To have emotional balance always - like Yoda? IMHO, any emotion, whether be it joy or sadness, is going to be harmful for the Jedi because it will make the Jedi lose his or her balance. Though joy and love are not bad emotions in themselves, even they tend to cloud your emotions :):ehemquigonandxanatos::) and could make you do wrong things.

Aunecah
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.