main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Family Tree

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mmaupin, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmaupin

mmaupin Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2005
    hi all,

i'm brand new here and haven't seen a post regarding this yet. if it exists, i'm sorry for starting it again.

here goes.

jedi train padawan, then padawan becomes jedi and the circle continues.

in the PT we learn that in a "family tree" sense, the training went from

Yoda -> Dooku -> QuiGon -> Obiwan -> Anakin

i was just wondering if there was any significance to any of this...that jedi council members would be the ones in the training lineage to the new Sith Lord (s). i mean, the odds are overwhelming that some random lineage of jedi would produce a sith...jedi who were never talented enough to be on the council...that sort of thing. it just seems strange that Yoda (head of the council), Dooku (on the council), QuiGon (talented enough for the council) and Obiwan (on the council, right?) would be the ones to produce anakin.

also, has anyone ever spoken of a grandfather (QuiGon/anakin), or greatgrandfather (Obiwan/Yoda) type master/jedi relationship? or is just "this is my master" and it doesn't matter who trained him and who trained the guy before him.

just want somet houghts on this.

thanks all

2. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    welcome to the boards. :D

3. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I don't think there was anything to it, I just think it was an effective way to string those characters who are integral to the story together.

And welcome to the boards. :)

4. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    Actually, Dooku was the Padawan of Thame Cerulian.

5. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    well thats EU, I would go by what the actual movie says, and it says yoda trained him.

6. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The EU and the movie do not contradict in this situation (As they rarely do). Dooku was Yoda's Padawan in the same sense as Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda, i.e. Yoda trained them when they were younglings.

When they were a little older (between 8 and 12), they were chosen to be trained one-on-one with their new Masters - Thame Cerulan for Dooku and Qui-Gon for Obi-Wan.

7. mmaupin

mmaupin Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2005
    i was also thinking about why is was not mentioned in the OT, that i can remember, that Yoda was the head of the council and that obi wan was and anakin where members as well.

i was just thinking that it was really important to the overall story...anakin being available to the emporor and the council in general...just thinking out loud now..

but with the training lines...anything to that? would someone like Yoda have a stronger bond with Obi wan than say, Mace or Plo Koon or any other master...

certainly not all jedi know each other so i would think that there would be a familial feel to masters and padawans and that they would stay together in a pack like thing.... kinda like "clans" of jedi across the galaxy.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yoda trained just about everyone.

9. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    This was not mentioned because they were not imperiative to Luke's training. Luke's training consisted of making him strong to confront his father, make him strong to resist the lure of the Darkside. Info such as the council, and who was on it would only take away from Luke's training.

Plus telling Luke that his father was on the Council would be a complete 180 as to what they were trying to do with Luke. With Luke they were trying to teach him a sense of modesty. Anakin matured knowing that he was the "Chosen One" and as such bared heavy responsibility. A mantra that he was not ready or mature enough to assume. Look at him in the garage scene after burying his mother. He knows he can be alot more powerful, and he feels that he has failed because he was not able to save his mother. If you listen to Anakin's dialogue, it was fairly easy for him to become a Jedi. So easy that he did not put as much study and effort as other Jedi did. This could be one reason to explain why he was able to be seduced to the darkside as easily as he was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.