main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Jedi for unusual body types

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amanita, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    I seem to have corrupted a friend of mine- she likes my red Twi'lek lekku so much she wants her own set. She also wants the whole Jedi kit to go with it.
    Now here's the question- my friend is very short- something like 4'11, and plus-sized.
    For somebody of the short and stocky variety, any ideas for tailoring the kit so it looks right? Likewise, any particular tunic/robe styles to gravitate towards or avoid? I'm guessing full length tunics similar to old Obi Wan, Eeth Koth, and Sassee Tinn would suit a shorter person- they don't cut you off at the mid-thighs like a normal length tunic would. That and long skirts such as worn by Shaak ti, Luminara Unduli, or Barriss Offee. Long skirts and tunics will also cover up the fact that my friend can't find boots higher than the ankle which fit properly.
    For outer robe, I'm thinking something like Shaak Ti's might work- not quite full length, so less likely to be tripped over.

The other thing is colour- my friend has her heart set on red Lekku (she loves the look of Darth Talon) Any suggestions for tunic/tabard/skirt colours that a Jedi would wear and would look good with red skin and Lekku? I know bright red robes are out- too flashy for a Jedi, but what about maroon/crimson paired with beige or cream?

2. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    I think your ideas on the length of the tunic and the cloak are good ones. I would also suggest including tabbords; they even out body shape, and can be modified in size, width, and cut, so they might help present a standardized size. As a note on the length of the tunic, though, I'm only 5'2" and the mid thigh level tunic looked great on my costume; if they're paired with the knee-high boots and long cloak, and the tabbords are a little longer than the tunic, it look suprisingly good even on a short person. So maybe mess around with the length, and don't feel stuck with it just being long. :)

As for the boots problem, I have trouble with knee-highs are well since they're made for people with super skinny calves. Do a serch for 'wide calf knee high boots' and you'll find some places that sell lovely riding boots with a reasonable circumference. I bought my boots on ebay and they just happened to fit, since they were slightly adjustable; just email the sellers and ask for their circumference. But the knee high boots look gorgeous when they fit, and they're very Jedi. Any riding style boots work, as long as they have a low heel.

For colors to go with red lekku, I would say chocolate brown, with cream? I think it'd look nice against the red, and the dark colors are attractive and Jedi-ish. Maybe a cream under-tunic, chocolate or cream skirt/pants (depending on preferrence), chocolate overtunic, and similarly colored tabbords in a different fabric? You could either make the cloak the same color, or go even darker, since Jedi with black cloaks aren't really uncommon.

3. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

4' 11" inches and plus-sized?

Are you talking about R2-D2?

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    ^^^ I guess that's supposed to be funny. :rolleyes:

5. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    From having her try on one of my tunics, I may end up making her collars a bit narrower than mine, to compensate for the shorter neck.

As for TaunTaun's wisecrack, I'm sure there are a fair number of "little people" who like star wars. Dwarfs, folks with pituitary disorders, and even some of the obese kids we've been seeing these past few years. Why can't they enjoy costuming too?

6. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    There are a number of platform shoes

ie:

[image=http://www.rivithead.com/products/medium/BOXER.jpg]

(From Rivit Head)

That she could combine with a pair of spats made for her calf size that will give her a bit more hight and allow for a little more leeway when costuming.

7. bassclarinets

bassclarinets Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2006
    heck - boots with heels work too :) you can make spats (or maybe get lucky and find a nice pair altogether already) :) you may have to wait until about july/aug for fall fashions to come out for the good tall (and heeled) boots, but they make some nice high boots -

i see no problems with the jedi - as long as you tailor it to fit properly, it will look good on all body types :)

jen

8. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Yeah. I've even seen 4.9-11" high klingons that looked awesome.
    Same for Jedi, as long as the weapon is to scale(for hand comfort), and the clothing is comfortable on them, run with it.

If a jedi were real they'd talior their garments and weapons to fit smaller bodys and hands anyway

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    TaunTaunHerder must be an active member of this forum called "Cosfu.net". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Doesn't even know his SW as to say someone who's 4' 11" should be R2.

Ya, height and size shouldn't be the hindering factor in selecting costume unless we're talking about certain specific costumes that is totally unforgiving. Not everyone who has a dream is born perfect for the role and not everyone got the time and Gene to grow more or the money to burn to get their Legs Bones extended (ya, I'll love to go for it but for ease of everyday life like taking things from a height etc) Jedi? Anyone can be a Jedi, even the Little People or Giants, Fat or Skinny.

Adding on to what Abodeofthedamned had recommended, if think there is a need, can also get your regular boots Soles made thicker at certain Cobblers. I know the Darth Vaders here both have their Boots turned to a Flatform boots (flat of course) and whenever one of our friends who is >1.9m tall wore it, we get a perfect height Vader compared to the rest of the troopers who're 1.7-1.8m [face_laugh].

And some articles say it's better to have a bit of Heel in the shoes but make sure not too high. I'm also Plus Size and I noticed that whenever I wore my Ankle-High Ladies Boots or Mary Janes, my feet will be "hurting" half-way out thru the day. The higher the heels, the faster my feet will start hurting like hell.
    Wear a pair of Men's Boots or shoes and I feel comfortable throughout the day as the heel are only an Inche or less.

Of course, the pain can be lessen with one of those "Cushioned" Insert Soles, especially those containing "Gel" or "Soft" Rubber. ;)

10. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    Get inserts with arch support as well. I work a job where I walk all day and I can say with some authority that they do wonders. Pay more for good inserts, the more expensive ones can be better.

The one beautiful thing about the Star Wars universe is that there is canonical proof that smaller human like races exist.

[image=http://www.kristensen.us/2002/star_wars_celebration2/images/meeting_celebs/warwick_davis.jpg]

Your friend can always explain that shes a giant from this race.:D

11. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    I found it funny. It's good to have a sense of humor about yourself.

12. TaunTaunHerder

Oct 26, 2007

I wasn't making fun of anyone.

R2-D2 is short and round. It's just a matter of fact.

I was supposed to be funny, but I don't know, or care, if it actually
    was.

13. TaunTaunHerder

Oct 26, 2007

I didn't say or imply that someone who's 4'11" and plus-sized
    should dress up like R2-D2.

I was being facetious. I don't really want to know if you're making a costume
    for R2-D2. I was a rhetorical question. Not serious. Joke. Sarcasm.

Don't respond to something I didn't say.

This concludes the Dr. Phil Show.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Moving on...

Earwen_Lightrider made a custom Twi'lek for Celebration 4. [image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/Celebration%20IV/Saturday/DSC00309.jpg]

15. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    With the discussions we're having about Height and Size, and some people commenting that Short and Fat people should limit themselves to Short and Fat Characters, your so called joke came at the wrong time. [face_shame_on_you]

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I don't think any harm was at all intended, nor bad-timing realized, otherwise I'm sure TTH would have refrained from posting such. Let's accept it for how it was meant - an elbow-dig at our little friend R2 D2.

Moving on... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.