Jedi in a Forest, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by foxbatkllr, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay so I've written my script, I've got everything ready. One question is: Should I change the setting before it's too late? Yes, it takes place in a forest. It doesn't HAVE to be a forest but it is preferable, and it needs to be somewhere that you can't see any civilization. However, it's a rather unique storyline and not "Two Jedi crash land in a forest where 5 bounty hunter/Sith are after them and a badly voiced over Darth Vader yells at some nerdy looking imperial officers who yell at some stormtroopers, and everyone's a hologram."

My other question is two sabers v. two sabers. Good idea or too difficult to choreograph?
  2. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
    The two sabres vs. two sabres worked really well in A Question of Faith, but I bet it is hard to choreograph. I think it would be cool, but most people are getting tired of this constant double sabre and two sabres.

I do not really care whether it is in the forest or not. Look at BA, AQOF and knightquest... they were all done in the forest.
  3. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Only the double bladed sabre has been over done, the two sabres is only overdone in the aspect of having a double and it breaking into 2 :p
  4. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    A Question of Faith was the only other fanfilm I could find with full on two saber vs. two saber action. Unfortunately, TFN's server stinks and I couldn't download the movie. I don't have the patience to download at 2kb/sec. I'd love to see some action of that and how it turned out.
  5. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would like to see two doubles vs. two doubles! 8-} Then they all get cut into two, and there are eight lightsabres lying around.

I was excited in Starfame, when the sith got out two doubles... but he just put one away.

Imagine the choreography on two doubles... the fight would be intense. But my friends will not do it, because they claim it is impossible to do without slicing my own head off.
  6. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would like to see two doubles vs. two doubles!

Coming soon to a website near you, in "THE LOST TEMPLE"... hopefully.

I'm gonna be honest and say that it might not happen at all. It's not going to be "TEH BEST 37337 FANFLIM EVA!" However, it should be very good quality. I've gotten quite a bit of work done, the only thing I worry about is enough crew. I need a cameraman, some set designers, someone good at lighting, and two actors. Everything else I can basically do myself. I can even act one part if I absolutely have to.This isn't a call for help, though if anyone lives in Southern California and is interested and knows anything at all about filmmaking, PM me.
  7. darth_kohai Jedi Master

star 3
    ...and there are eight lightsabres lying around...

Have you seen 'Two-Ness'?
  8. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
  9. GizmoMkI Jedi Knight

Back to the original question of location, if you're trying to get "out of the woods", it's hard to suggest anything not knowing your location. I once lived near a state park that had a man-made lake built from the remains of an old quarry site. Trees were around of course, but there was a rocky shoreline and 20 foot cliff. I'm in Arizona now and only 30 miles away you can get into some rocky terrain with large boulders. You might want to check some maps and see if there are any unusual sites within driving distance. Always remember if you frame the shot right, you can make a place look deserted. And if you're cgi-talented, you can always remove unwanted features through mattes.
  10. Padan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well I dont live in southern California but I can give you some advice. "A Question of Faith" - if im not mistaken, was made by a bunch of guys that work a Medieval Times in Texas- or i might be thinking of the totally wrong film. Anyway, if I am right, that is the reason they were able to pull off the two saber v. two saber. I have been coreographing fights for at least 4 years now and unless you have two actors that really know what they are doing, that fight would be very difficult. A simple fight can look just as good as a complex fight if it is done right.
  11. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Gizmo, I live in southern california so basically I have any kind of terrain I want at my disposal. HOWEVER, the problem with desert, beach, plains, or anything flat is that in my fanfilm "THE LOST TEMPLE" there is a temple involved (duh!). The temple should not be visible to the characters when they are standing on the ground, it should be hidden. Best way for a temple to be hidden that I know of is surrounded by trees.
  12. darth_kohai Jedi Master

star 3
    You took my signature.

Nope. You took mine.

Aug 01 < May 02

We'll just have to meet after school to fight about it. You bring a double ender, and I'll bring 2 singles. We can meet in a forest. I'll be the guy in all black with too much face makeup.

:p
  13. BrenDerlin Jedi Knight

star 2
    Jedi in a Forest, Yay or Nay?

"Uh.. which one means yes?" -Random merry man, Robin Hood, Men in Tights

But seriously, it depends on what you have available. Where do you live?
  14. crutag-ventor Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it would be cool if your temple was in a canyon out in the desert, kind of like in Indiana Jones and the last crusade! ;) That could be lost and undiscovered. :D
  15. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As for the two sabers vs. two sabers, it's not an important plot point. It could be scrapped pretty easily. But I thought it might be worth trying. At any rate there is a scene with plenty of spare sabers lying around so there is great potential for some crazy action. The saber duel is hardly a make it or break it element to my story. Same with the CG.
  16. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually I thought of this signature not from your signature, but from a T-shirt I have.

And I have this signature on another forum that I have been registered before August 2001.

so 8-}

And I will bring my two double blades...
  17. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    But seriously, it depends on what you have available. Where do you live?

As I have said, Southern California, USA. Basically any terrain is at my disposal. The only thing I don't have is jungle, which unfortunately would be my first choice.

The desert canyon would be pretty sweet, except I really don't feel like killing myself, the cast, and crew while we film in the heat.
  18. crutag-ventor Jedi Master

star 4
    They did TPM in 118 why cant you? :p
  19. Darth Virru Jedi Master

star 2
    That's why you deeeeeeep into the canyon where it's dark and shadowy! Just don't forget to drag a generator along for your lights :p
  20. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They did TPM in 118 why cant you?

Because I don't have dozens of PA's bringing me $12.00 bottles of water at my disposal.
  21. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Another thing about the desert is that I don't know if it can be creepy enough. There is a scene at night in which the character is all alone and it's all dark. I think a forest is far creepier than the desert. I have been in a desert at night and it is pretty creepy but it's just not the same. I have another idea for a setting, how about a snowy forest? Has that been done?
  22. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    I thought the Tusken scene in AOTC was pretty creepy
  23. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The tusken scene would've been creepy no matter where it took place. I think the point I was trying to make about something with a lot of trees, like a forest, is that people are generally more fearful of that than the desert. At any rate, I'm pretty much settled on not filming in the desert. Besides, there have been just about as many fanfilms in the desert as in the forest...

One other note: I'm not gonna do any chroma keying at all.
  24. CoruscantCrisis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not sure if anyone's done this but I'm donig a double vs two singles(by the same person, not 2 different people). But the person with 2 holds one in regular grip and one upside down. It looks really cool.
  25. crutag-ventor Jedi Master

star 4
    A forest with snow would be cool, but then you must work in the cold weather. I like the other idea of a rock quarry.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.