main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi in arena aren't very determined...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by plo_koom, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    After seeing all of the Clone Wars series, I found that I enjoyed their interpretation of Jedi ability much better. In the Clone Wars, the Jedi always seem to be exerting the most of their power, vigorously chopping and deflecting blaster bolts, darting around, force pushing, ect.
    In AOTC, most of the background extras don't seem to be too into their opponents. Mildly thrusting their sabers into droids without a care in the world, and don't seem to be focusing on more then one at time. I realize that the blue and green screens can be hard to work with, but is it really so much trouble to demand a bit more work from extras, espically extras who are supposed to be uber-warriors? The only time you really see them get into their roles is when the scene is obviously directed and in the foreground, other wise it's back to randomly swinging their sabers.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah, most of them were pretty lame.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I do agree with you, except that in the Clone Wars they really exaggerated the Jedi's ability to use the Force. Look at when Yoda makes the two landing crafts collide into each other. They're like twenty times bigger than the giant pillar in AOTC, and Yoda seems to have to concentrate very hard because he's in a fight with Dooku. Yet, in CW, he's fighting a million droids, and he does it without a thought. And Mace knocks out an army just by force-pushing them. Why didn't they just do this in the Battle of Geonosis?

Aside from that, I enjoyed Clone Wars.

4. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    He might not have done that before because he was in an Arena and the friendly fire would have been enormous. The other issue is is that it's theorized that when he does massive force pushes like those, it does very little damage to each droid hit by the blast. It probaby deactivates a very small percentage of them and merely pushes a much larger portion of them back.

It could also be true Mace needed some warming up after years of being a diplomat and negotiating.

As for Yoda, I think that he might also have needed to flex his muscles, or Dooku was still indirectly exerting some force of the pillar. The pillar also might have contained a small portion of some super-dense matter such as matter from a Neutron star.

5. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    well..i beleive it's probably a little more difficult to direct 10-12 actors all with different styles fighting things that aren't there; as opposed to drawing a cartoon.

6. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    The only way they could realistically portray the Jedi as semi-gods in the movies is through extensive FX usage--and imagine just how many complaints that would get :rolleyes: :p

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The only way they could realistically portray the Jedi as semi-gods in the movies is through extensive FX usage

The other way to look at it is that the movie is right, the jedi aren't "semi-gods", and the EU has blown them way out of porportion.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I prefer the idea that it was that they needed to warm up.

9. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    We're not asking them to be based off the EU portrayel. We just wish they fought a little better. The Jedi may not be Gods, but they are not simple mortals either. The Jedi have proven to be resourceful, semi powerful, and skilled. You didn't see any of that from the backround Jedi.

10. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Theey exageratted the jedi quite a bit in CW.
    I mean in one episode obi deflects flames,bullets/darts and blaster fire with the force.

11. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    come on people, don't search too far, this is the only explanation: cw is CARTOON, that's fun, so let's exagerate! as for the background jedi, that's a movie stuff, people focus more on the foreground, so in most of the movies they don't really go into details in the background....

12. plo_koom

Nov 26, 2002
    I mean in one episode obi deflects flames,bullets/darts and blaster fire with the force.

I don't see why he couldn't.

The EU didn't glorify the Jedi Knights, everything in Star Wars glorified them. Just listen to the way people talk about them in just about every movie, and then look at their preformance in the Arena.

13. platform327

platform327 Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2005
    I bet we won't be witness to the ferocity and dynamism of the Clone Wars Grievous, when we see the live action droid fly into action. :D Now if only the Jedi fought like that guy, then they wouldn't need a clone army! Gotta love #21 Vol. 1.

14. ObiWanIsTheOne

Mar 30, 2005
    plo_koom makes interesting points. We're not basing this off of the EU, but the movies. The Jedi always seemed to be a little above normal. I know they are not Gods, but they aren't that weak.

15. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've thought that the arena made them seem weaker because of the whole "The Son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi" line. To me that said that Jedi were powerful but, obviously not Gods because Obi-Wan died in A New Hope.

16. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Depends on how many midichlorians they have. The ones with the least (coleman trebor for ex.) have no skills.

17. Matt-trooper

Feb 19, 2005
    The background extras aern't gonna look exciting because all they are extras, just used to take up space.

18. platform327

platform327 Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2005
    Maybe not in the same league as Gods, but one of them is a prophet, the chosen one, sent by...to bring balance to the Force. Just unfortunate for his fellow brethren that he's analogous to an anti-Christ. :D

19. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Pretty much what Matt-Trooper said. Most of the Jedi, even the ones on the Council, are basically background extras. They would've been cast for their looks rather than their acting ability and sadly at the Battle of Geonosis that gamble goes sour when you stick them in front of a blue-screen. Even their basic lightsaber handling is mediocre at best (compared to the well-trained actors).

But they would've saved a tonne of cash by giving these people extras-rates rather than full-actors rates.

Its one of the very few moments in AOTC that disappointed me - this was the moment to see the Jedi at their full prime as a cohesive team and the extras staring bug-eyed at the blue-screens around them just didn't cut the mustard.

20. Matt-trooper

Feb 19, 2005
    The extras don't really bother me

21. Peteshoe

Peteshoe Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    Well also in the Clone Wars cartoon their skills are used more frequently so their skills may have improved. As with the arena battle; it may have been the first time in a while a lot of them had to use battle skills. You know practice makes perfect. But we're also comparing a cartoon to a movie.

22. PloKoons_Apprentice

PloKoons_Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    well if you notied that one guy when mace or jango were dealing with the reek. he took out about 8 droids and that one guy who was spining around his lightsaber like crazy. and agen lokars padawon take out a droidaka. he was like 13 years old. obi and qui-gon could even do that.and also they never expected to be fighting a army.they were only trauned to take on a few at a time.....so i think they were pretty deterimed. and i dont think many people can fight all across a planet without getting tired you need to put that in affect too.

23. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Maybe they did appear to be a bit passive. I haven't watched AOTC for a very long time. Jedi need to be on a groggy defense. Not furious attack. Let the battle come to them and they'll deal with it however they deal with it.

24. DARTH_VRUC

DARTH_VRUC Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2004
    AotC had the best depiction of the jedi, in my opinion.
    Lucas never intended to make jedi semi-God uber-powerfull warriors and so on...
    Actually, as Yoda and Mace said in AotC jedi are becoming arrogant and overconfident in their skills.
    Even Dooku said they actually fought good.They were overwhelmed-both by numbers and their overconfidence.
    The Galaxy grows to hate them, as we've read in the EU and seen in the PT, because they start to think of themselves as Gods, better than "ordinary" people.Which they aren't-jedi are skilled warriors and peacekeepers.Nothing less, nothing more.

As for CW-people, get over it!It's a cartoon!Do you actually believe Mace could break trough SBS's with bare hands (he didn't use the Force in those scenes), or that Yoda could throw the entire seppie ship around Coruscant?The CW cartoon creates the idea that the Order can stop the CIS.And in AotC Mace clearly says that they can't.Thats why they need a Army.

25. ObiWanIsTheOne

Mar 30, 2005
    We're not basing all of this off of the Clone Wars cartoon. PloKoons_Apprentice just mentioned that it showed a 13 year old kid kill a Droideka. When Obi and Qui couldn't handle them together!? Please. Thats just stupid. People in the back round are just swinging the lightsabers around. They could teach them ONE trick? Anything? I mean geez. We don't want the Jedi to be Gods, but they weren't even mortal. They were just people jumping around. Where exactly did they get training? Not the same place Anakin, Obi Wan, Mace, and Yoda did. Definitly NOT. Peteshoe proves an interesting point though. I can buy that they haven't fought in a while and being throw into battle all of a sudden would be...overwhelming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.