Jedi Killers

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by CodyDog, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyDog Jedi Padawan

Years ago, I ran a campaign based around this one character's private army. The folks in the campaign played the roll of an elite division of Jedi Killers (who were not jedi themselves). It made for a very interesting campaign, as they constantly had to think on their toes to work together to beat down the jedi and led to some cool "james bond and Q" type moments where they were introduced to the newest and best tech for taking down a jedi. The weapons and gadgets always focused on keeping the hunted jedi on their toes as well, as such some examples were:

-Projectile weapons (bullets are a bit harder to sense, and unexpected)
    -Weapons that fire different things (laser + projectitle, etc, keep changing it up)
    -Variable Ammunition Grenade Launchers (Flashbang, Plasma, Concussion, Gas...there was once these D6 stats on a web page for a variety of ammo, plus a 32 round circle fed semi-auto launcher which was always fun)
    -Projectile Bullets that melt when in contact with lightsaber, but travel thru as hot plasma to hit the jedi
    -Explosives, Concussion Launchers, etc, etc.....

So I was wondering if anyone else out there every did anything similar and thought of any new and inventive ways and tech to bring down jedi. I might bring back this campaign in some form, although I've lost a ton of the stats I used to have for all this junk.
  2. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Killing a Jedi is the easiest thing in the Galaxy...

Blaster on stun (drops the item he's holding, usually a lightsaber) and then shoot him dead.

Use a slugthrower if he's got Dissipate Energy.

EDIT: Personalize the blaster pistol with DC 20 stun setting three times for +6 stun (DC 26 is haaaard).
  3. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    I was going to do something like that for a fanfilm, but didn't have anyone handy to work with (like cameramen, actors (need some 501 & rebel legion to pull that off), cameras, or video FX people) so the idea kinda fell apart quickly.

Most of our current "conventional" weapons will counter jedi powers.
  4. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Two words:

Cortosis ammo. ;)

There's stats for it somewhere either in one of the Jedi Counselling's or in the errata. They behave like normal bullets but cost 500x more than normal rounds. The first shot disables the lightsaber for a round.

Grenades also work well, as do rockets.

One of my NPC bounty-hunters just took down a Jedi with a really lucky crit. :p
  5. CodyDog Jedi Padawan

I always liked the surprise of bullets that melt into a nice stream of plasma at the right (AKA: lightsaber) temp. Jedi learn quickly to block shots away from body, or face getting blinded by plasma in the face.
  6. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Plasma just equals energy and the lightsaber *should* be able to absorb that, no?
  7. CodyDog Jedi Padawan

If that's the case, well then substitute the words "plasma" with "molten metal"
  8. MercenaryAce Chosen One

star 5
    plasma is the fourth state of matter.
  9. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Phish. 4th state of matter. When it comes down to it, plasma is a gas of charged particles. It's properties are very differently than a neutral gas, but let's not get too exotic here. :p

As I understand, Plasma is also what makes up your standard 'blaster bolt'. The bolt is a self contained, high density - high temp plasma (a nice trick all its own). The bolt's self induced magnetic field is deflected off the saber's confining field.

I'd rule that if the Jedi makes the difficulty and intercepts a solid bullet with his saber the bullet is vaporized and null, like a lighstaber cutting though just about anything solid (an arm, another lightsaber handle, railing, walls, and so forth).

So in my games there were two good ways to kill Jedi.

Overwhelm them with volume of firepower. They can't deflect it all and multiple actions reduce those gianormous dice pools (in D-6) in a hurry.

Use a Force Pike. My homebrewed force pike was basically a hand held character scaled tractor beam. The beam had ~2 meter range, and if you caught someone in it you pretty much had them on a two meter mass-less lever arm. You could also use it to rend arms from bodies and so forth. I figured if the Emperor's guard uses them they would have to be better than a pointy bit on the end of a stick. :p
  10. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    I believe Neo-Paladin has a point.
    Plus slug-thowers do so little damage...
  11. CodyDog Jedi Padawan

Forget about plasma, I was miswording what I was trying to explain. In my mind (and I try not to get to technical), we see jedi cutting thru floors, doors, etc, etc, and often times, where they cut is left some molten hot red glowing, liquid metal. Now obviously the areas that were in direct contact with the saber were mostly vaporized, but if you could find metals (obviously expensive) with a higher melting temp, or increase the velocity of the rounds so they spent less time going thru the blade, you might be able to come up with bullets that pass thru the saber as molten liquid metal, thus burning the hell out of a target.
    But enough of that, let's hear more jedi killing techniques, and maybe some stats.
  12. Padawan_John Jedi Master

star 4
    Weapons with a blast radius. Don't aim directly at the Jedi - aim at the adjacent "square". The square has a Defense of 5, and the Jedi takes whatever the blast damage is. If he decides use Deflect (extend defense/attack) and hit the grenade/detonator - well, wouldn't that sort of set it off, too?

Combined fire and flanking. Combine 'em for huge (albeit cheap) bonuses. Not even a member of the Jedi Council could block blaster bolts from a dozen Clone Troopers for very long.

When in doubt, hit the Jedi with a proton torpedo from a quarter mile up. Let's see the cheeky bastich deflect that!

Nyar.
    [face_devil]
  13. dp4m Chosen One

star 9

Not true on the Jedi Master bit; maximum bonus is +5 for combined fire I believe and you can't flank ranged weapons to my knowledge. Considering that Master Defense is +6 and Deflect (Defense) bonuses, a Jedi Master could very easily deflect 12 clone troopers' fire. :p

On the other hand, starfighter weapons work well: Sith Lord opened a door to a hovering fighter and our pilot rolled a natural 20 on the hit roll.

Fine, red mist...
  14. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5

Awww. Not very space-operaish though, is it? Funny, yes, but not space-opera.
  15. Padawan_John Jedi Master

star 4
    I was thinking of Order 66 when I mentioned the combined fire. And I was wrong about the flanking, so, yes, you're right.

There's also poison gas, ysalamari, vornskrs . . . .

Nyar.
    [face_devil]
  16. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    It was appropriate at the time; apprentice he was, Master he wasn't... ;)
  17. CodyDog Jedi Padawan

Reminds me of a time in a game I once played in (was a bit more detailed than this obviously, with rolls, etc, etc...)

GM: Superbadass DarkJedi Sith Master guy is waiting bellow your ship to destroy you
    Player: I cut the power of the ship and drop this YT_____ on him
    GM: (DAMN YOU) He's completely unprepared for this, you smash him to pulp
  18. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Move Object check for a YT-1300 isn't THAT difficult with requisite FP usage for an uber-Sith Master...
  19. CodyDog Jedi Padawan

The GM wasn't thinking on his feet very well that day, and I'm glad, because he was one of those power gaming GMs that gave their players too much uber stuff, then realized it was ruining the campaign, then would invent uber NPCs to kill the players, and this was one of those guys.
  20. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    I?ve found grenades have limited utility against Jedi. The Jedi can easily use the Force to push the explosive out of the way or back to its origin. I had a player that learned real quick like, don?t lob grenades at Force users. [face_devil]

That said, I?ve GM?ed Imperial Inquisitors who had grenades that detonated a directed charge when the grenade felt a sudden shift in moment (i.e. a Force Push). I didn?t think of it at the time, but it would also make sense to have the grenades use a circuit so they don?t detonate when the thrower is within the blast radius. [face_thinking]
  21. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5

Why does "Hunt for Red October" come to mind? ;) Yes, some sort of sensor that detects a change in direction after it has been thrown would be very useful in a grenade.
    Force Push would also work on missiles & torpedoes. I'm surprised no one ever wrote up a Force Wall power to deflect any physical objects from entering X-radius. (Maybe it's just in a book I haven't read).

22. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    I always thought that's what Lesser Force Shield was, to a degree.

it'd be pretty easy to make one for D6, Alter roll determines how strong it is, modified by size it needs to be.
  23. SBD-518 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Were your players super-strong jedi? Because if you go home and tell your padawan buddies you killed the big ad sith lord, they'd worship you.
  24. Master_Uxi Jedi Knight

star 3
    As was stated in the ROTS Novelization, there are 2 ways for non-Jedi to kill Jedi:

1) Overwhelm with superior numbers
    2) Lull them into a false sense of security.

As a sidenote, let's lump "non-Jedi" to be "non-Force-Using" etc.

I should preface that I changed my D6 game so that every defensive action was an individual action subject to Multiple-Action-Penalty. Every use of parry was a separate action with the sole exception of "full" defense (full parry, full dodge, etc). Even Jedi have to eventually get mindful of their dice pool.

Number 1 is pretty straight forward brute force approach. Concentrated fire, etc saturating attacks to overwhelm Jedi. I've used the hordes of goons, with relatively mundane weapons, but also less disproportionate numbers with the equivalent of gatling guns, etc. Basically ensure that the Jedi can't (or won't want to) lightsaber deflect. While I always ruled that slugthrower projectiles were *usually* vaporized (barring special exotic material/construction such as cortosis and mandolorian ore, etc as well as magnetic shielding, etc), there are ways around the lightsaber defense:

a) Explosive rounds directed in the vicinity of the Jedi. "Close Counts"
    b) Shotgun-style scatter weapons "Close Counts"
    c) Multiple-stage warhead/projectiles. You get the first, but it causes the second to explode. variation of (a)
    d) Rapid-fire weapons that have dud/decoy shots interspaced with the real deal. Make the Jedi "waste" deflections and attempt to second guess their use of defensive actions
    e) Non projectile weaponry: Flame throwers, liquids (acids/corrosives/poisons), gaseous weaponry, "wave" as in broadcast like microwave/maser, sound attacks, etc

Number 2. Much more difficult but more effective when set up intelligently

a) strategic surprise. Arrange your off-site minions to attack something the Jedi could possibly place at a higher priority than its currently engaged at, for example.
    b) tactical surprise: Surprise attacks, heard the Jedi into a cross-fire or trapped/mined/killing zone, put him a distracting situation with threatened innocent 3rd parties, etc. Danger Sense can usually counter.
    c) make the Jedi overestimate its own ability
    d) make the Jedi understimate its enemy

C&D can be accomplished by letting the Jedi "win" initially and push into an unwinnable situation (Hannibal at Cannae). Switching from conventional weaponry to unconventional, etc.
  25. canrookie Jedi Padawan

How does one do that according to the D20 rules? Is it possible?
    My pc's are really fond of lobbing TD's at Sith Lords to weaken them. I'd love to see the look on their face as one gets pushed back at them.... mwhahahahahahah
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.