main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Knight minimum age question

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Resuru, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resuru

Resuru Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2017
    So, I am am doing a DND campaign based on the clone wars, however, I cannot find actual factual information what is the earliest a jedi can become a knight.

I have heard conflicting information of 17 being minimum, then also 20 being minimum. I have heard Obi wan was 17 during the phantom menace and I also heard he was 25. So what gives?

Can there be a jedi knight during the clone wars that is 17 years of age? Because in the clone wars show, Ahsoka, who is 13 at the time of being a padawan later got offered to be knighted due to the misunderstanding with the bombing. If we are generous we can say a year had passed so she was about 14. So.... yeah, what gives here?

Basically she got blamed for the bombings and after she was proven to be innocent, they said the force works in strange ways and she was offered a jedi knight position, she denied.

Thank you, going to await for an answer.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It has never been officially stated in canon.

The old EU indicated 17-19 Earth human years (Anakin was 19 in RoTS, I believe)

3. Resuru

Resuru Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2017
    Alright, thank you! I will assume it's 17 with rare cases of it happening earlier, as in Ahsoka incident.

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Anakin was 19 in AOTC. Three years later is 21or 22 in ROTS, depending on the exact dates.

It is my understanding that most apprenticeships last a decade, so depending on when they start Knighthood may be achieved between the ages of 18 (At earliest) to 22. but that is just my estimate.

And I am almost positive Obi-Wan was 20 in TPM.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Obi-Wan was born in 57 BBY, and TPM took place in 32 BBY. That makes him 24 or 25 in TPM. This info is from recent canon sources. (it's also from old Legends canon sources as well. his age has been established for many years and has remained the same even after the reboot.)

Anakin was indeed 19 in AOTC, and 22 in ROTS.

I believe the idea is that Anakin was knighted at a relatively young age due to his exceptional talent.

If you want my opinion, there would be no official minimum age, due to various reasons. One, different species develop at different rates. Two, people mature at different rates, and I suppose it's possible for a human to be ready for knighthood at a relatively early age. However, I'd be very hesitant to knight a human before the age of, say, 18 or 19, even for roleplaying purposes. First, I wouldn't want to make a character who got knighted even faster than Anakin. Second, in order to be mature enough to be a knight, I think a person should have mostly matured past adolescence and be ready for the demands of adulthood, at the very least. Knighthood actually requires a lot more than maturing past adolescence, but that's a bare minimum. To me, that's probably around 18-22 at the least. For some people, it's even later. Even Obi-Wan didn't become a knight until he was 24 or 25. I imagine that's fairly close to standard.

Ahsoka was 14 in the TCW movie, and 17 when the Temple was bombed (or 16 going on 17). The former took place in 22 BBY, the latter took place in 19 BBY. Three years had passed. Again, according to current canon sources.

I find the idea of a 17 year old Jedi Knight to be dubious, but it's your campaign, so its your decision.

What's your impetus for a 17 year old Jedi Knight character? Is there any reasoning behind it? Maybe we can discuss that, too. If it's a good idea, it sells better. One idea would be that the Jedi is an alien species that develops to maturity rapidly, say 13 being the age of majority for his species.

6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    This sounds really interesting!

7. Resuru

Resuru Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2017
    It is an alien species but it's a near human, the backstory was going to be that the character did something very self sacrificial and got knighted, but many of the jedi didn't like the decision so he was kind of stuck in a limbo of people not really liking his status as a knight.

The alien species he is, taken from the old canon Arkanian Offshoot, basically genetically engineered Arkanians for work and labor, so they could mature quicker than humans in such a regard. The lore on them is basically from the old republic so i took some liberties for the campaign.

Basically I was thinking (still working on the character, no rush since I am the DM, but if people look in to his backstory I would give them this information) that his older sister got a vision of the future and it messed her up. she quickly abandoned her duties and went to get her little brother, she was frantic and freaking out so she couldn't really properly explain herself, she tried to take her young brother away to the outer rim, away from any sides of the war. as he walked along to humor her he realizes she had killed a bunch of the clone troopers that were serving with him, some that he called friends. He stops following her realizing that she's gone nuts and she desperately tries to get him in to the ship. His master shows up with news of his sister coming here (a little late) and that she has deemed a hostile and so on. Basically it would end in his masters death and him killing his older sister in the process.

The details behind this are still being developed as the character is being interacted with by players, but the idea is that doing something as hard on a perosn as killing their sister for the sake of a jedi order would show his knight like status potentially, just general ideas i had, or maybe he saved his master, it really depends.
    Any opinion on this matter?

8. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    If you wanted more on-going conflict with the Jedi, and to give this character more interest, why not keep the sister alive on his ship? He has to keep her alive and hidden away from the Jedi so that they don't find out and question his dedication to the Order if he is willing to lie and hide his sister in their midst. That could be what prompts him to ultimately leave when he does get caught after a few years of hide and seek and close calls with getting caught.

Now, if you need the Master to die off, you can always say that you, your sister and him were supposed to meet in a cantina in the depths of Coruscant and that you three were waylaid by Coruscanti ogres or by Black Sun or something, and the Master ends up dying, and you end up having to keep her hidden while you explain to the Council what on earth you were doing in the Undercity and how your master wound up dead.

That way, the sister stays alive and continues to be a foil when you need it, and it provides a running level of tension because you have to continue to make sure she stays hidden.

Just a thought.

9. Resuru

Resuru Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2017
    Oh ****, keeping the sister alive did not even occur to me, that's a great idea!
    So basically his knighthood would be a total lie too then, which is awesome and perfect!

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I read this as Jedi Knight minimum wage. That's another good topic to be brought up.

11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well, Anakin was knighted at 19. Ahsoka was going to be knighted when she was 17. I would say those are probably the minimum ages. The normal age is probably between 20-25.

12. Resuru

Resuru Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2017
    yeah, id say thats the case then, either way I feel like i have a nice character set up for the campaign thanks to you guys.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Original novel of TPM had Qui-Gon musing that Obi-Wan was mid-twenties and wouldn't expect to be knighted until roughly 30. So when he was knighted at 24/25, it was actually at a bit younger age than most padawans.

Don't know if that is canonical at this time.

Anakin was knighted earlier, and probably due to the demands of war as much as skill. Then in TCW, it wouldn't surprise me if Ahsoka would have been knighted early due to both the war accelerating knighthood for padawans and the ridiculous (IMHO) precocious skills she was given (admitted balance by youthful misjudgments).

One thing we don't see in the movies is acknowledgement of different species maturation age, so while that is an excellent possible reason, 17 does seem awful young in a pure age sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.