Lightsabers & Blasters Jedi-Loreen's EL Lightsaber Blade Tutorial

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi-Loreen, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, I realize that Reia_Lightsword is a newbie, but they didn't even seem to notice that their thread about "Inexpensive EL Blades" ended up right above my tutorial thread! :rolleyes:

Before I posted this, that is.
    :p [face_thinking]
  2. Strydur Jedi Knight

star 2
    The 2nd generation 4k inverters should be here by the weekend. They forgot to install the quick disconnects on this batch but I will include the connectors for anyone wanting to solder them on. They will have the extra 2 wires for wiring to the switch and should make connecting them a tad easier and less confusing for newbies.
  3. merebel Jedi Padawan

Newbie question,
    Does anyone have info on how to make a Darth Maul saber with the el wire setup ??
    looking for info on the hilt setup

Keith
  4. Strydur Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here is a picture of the new inverters.
    [image=http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/prodimages/inverter.jpg]
  5. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, you really are making it easy for newbies to put these inverters into their hilts!:eek:

No more cutting wires and splicing extra pieces in, if you need extra length.
    ;)
  6. Luke_SkyMarcher Jedi Padawan

merebel-
    I myself have been thinking about making a double bladed el saber. I have a friend who does karate and has a bunch of his karate friends interested in double sabers. I would assume that you would have to get the emitters machined for a Darth Maul hilt. sitharchives has some measurements. The best way would probably be to make it like two separate hilts and use one of Strydur's double saber connectors. I don't know about using the darth maul design - it has a bunch of screw heads and buttons sticking out of it - it looks very uncomfortable for dueling unless you use big thick gloves like Maul did (maybie that's why he wore them [face_laugh]) big yellow box style seven with a little adaption would be more comfortable, unless your specifically doing a Darth Maul costume. You should find all the hilt information you need somwhere in this thread.

-Luke

Loreen I sent you a PM
  7. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Jedi-Monkey00 Jedi Padawan

Does anyone know if the inverters are affected by magnets? The last hilt I built had a rare-earth magnet attaching it to the belt holder. The magnet was just to the outside of the tube where the inverter was. After less than a week of average use the saber stopped working. When I took it all apart I replaced everything, but it wasn't until I switched to a new inverter that it started working again. The inverter was completely shot. It may have just been faulty but I'm not sure.... I switched the earch magnet for now and the saber is working just fine.

[face_monkey]
  9. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm. The transformer, with it's coil of wire, probably has it's own magnetic field. I don't think the other components would be effected by something like that.

I used to work on computer monitors and they have extrememly strong magnectic fields in the electron guns at the back of the CRTs. I don't remember having to replace too many transformers on the circuit boards, it was usually resistors or capacitors what would fail.

Perhaps you just had a faulty inverter with a component that went bad. I've seen it happen before, in friend's sabers, and have had to replace them.
  10. patt12 Jedi Padawan

I am not an electronics person. I was wondering how you set up the female connector to the hilt with the wiring?
  11. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you read the tutorial on the first page?

It's easy. You just solder the two output wires from the inverter (not the red and black ones coming from the battery. The output wires will be the same color, usually either both black, or both white) to the two terminals on the female mono connector.

The inverter puts out A/C voltage, which has no polarity, unlike D/C, so it doesn't matter which wire is soldered to which terminal.

I hope that helps, and I didn't confuse you.
    :p
  12. patt12 Jedi Padawan

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a shot.
  13. UltraSWG Jedi Knight

star 2
    Loreen, do you have a Luxeon saber yet?
  14. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Not yet. [face_blush] You guys will know when I do. Stydur will most likely be the first one to know when I'm working on one, since I'll be dealing with him for parts, most likely.

I have other projects that my extra money is going into at the moment.
    Not to mention having to buy Christmas presents.

I don't think I'd be satsified with one that just lights up, I'd need to get one of Corbin's controllers.......:rolleyes: Seems like things can start adding up quickly! :eek:[face_money_eyes]

Plus, I'm not sure what color I want. Kind of partial to blue, but the green looks cool, too.

And I still haven't read through your whole thread yet! [face_blush] [face_blush] :p I still have more to learn first!
  15. Arc-Demon Jedi Knight

Anyone know where I can find polycarbonate tubing with an 1/8 inch ID? I tried usplasttcs and mcmasters and wound up with nothing. Maybe I missed it. I'm trying to add a small working lightsaber to a Darth Vader vinyl model. I have the EL wire,I just need to find the tiniest tube with the right length to add on to it.
  16. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    I order mine from a local plastic company in my city. No shipping charges. [face_dancing]

They are not online though, so that's not really a help to you. [face_worried] I don't know how far they will ship. And they want you to order a whole case, 6 pieces of 8' long tubing.[face_money_eyes]

Which is fine, if you plan on making 12 blades.:eek:

I bought 2 cases, but I'm retrofitting blades I made for local people from the 1/16" tubing, plus making a few new blades, so I need that much. [face_hypnotized]

Though I'm basically "retiring" from making EL blades after I'm done with all the tubing I bought.
    [face_whistling]
  17. Calin Jedi Padawan

So here is my problem. I'm new here, know nothing about building sabers, and I'm trying to make a fan film with my friends. We need at least 4 sabers, on of them a staff saber. They don't need light or sound, they just need to look somewhat realistic and have removable blades. The blades also need to be VERY sturdy. We are all high school kids, so hopefully this will be relitivly cheap. We are going to add the sounds and light in later. If someone could tell me what to use and how to make them, it would be fantastic. Keep in mind I know nothing about sabers, such as the names of the parts, or where I could get them. Whenever I look at any of the threads on saber making, it just confuses the hell out of me and give me a headache. Thanks.
  18. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    This thread is about EL lightsaber blades. Please find a more appropriate thread in which to ask your questions. Like the "Your Lightsaber" thread. It would be a good idea to read through that thread anyway. You may get your answers there, without even asking. ;)

And check the recently unlocked "How can I build my own lightsaber?" thread.

And you're more likely to get the answers you seek there, than here.

I will give you one hint, since you are trying to hijack my thread [face_shame_on_you](not proper message board ettiquette, BTW) , PVC might be the way for you to go, you can make nice looking sabers by cutting and painting pieces of that. Check out this link. How to build your own PVC Lightsaber!

All the answers you are looking for are already here, you just need to look for them. People are probably just going to refer you to the info anyway, not just tell you how to build lightsabers. You need to do some of the footwork for yourself. I know it can be confusing at times, but have some patience and wade through the material, there is some great information out there.

One more thought--Here's a page from The Jedi Assembly message board that lists other tutorials. I haven't looked at all of them, so I don't know how good they are, but you might want to check them out. TJA lightsaber tutorial links

19. Strydur Jedi Knight

star 2
    PM me about 1/8" walled Polycarbonate
  20. Arc-Demon Jedi Knight

If you read up, I never said 1/8 inch walled, I said 1/8 inch inner diameter.
  21. master-Corran-horn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Arc-demon, try mcmaster-carr, look back through this thread for the link Jedi-Loreen posted. I found 1 inch od, and 1/4 id, once, I've been thinking about frosting the interior and threading it for something like plasma. With such a tiny ID, how were you planning to diffuse the el wire? And is it just me, or is Jedi-lorren's new avitar, with its "intense" stare an indication she's leaning toward the dark side? :D Just joking J-loreen. You realize Thats a joke right? Wait a min, did I just hear someone say "I find your lack faith disturbing!"? NoNoNo, It was a joke Honest, I just .... :oops: AGH....RAGC...GERR...WHEEEZCH....cough......gag. [face_batting] [face_laugh] [:D]
  22. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    I went from Leia, to Mara Jade, so maybe you're right! ;) lol

I'm also wondering what you intend to do with a tube that narrow, Arc-Demon. [face_thinking]
    McMaster does have the 1/8" ID, I just looked. You are only going to be able to get one strand of EL wire inside that, you know. Are you thnking of trying to do some sort of "core" effect? Or are you doing something that's not a lightsaber blade?
  23. Arc-Demon Jedi Knight

Its actually going to be for a Darth Vader model. Its going to be a tiny working lightsaber. Although, I am not sure how I am going to diffuse it like someone asked. Maybe lightly sanding the inside of the tube.
  24. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah. But how are you going to even get any sand paper inside it? Maybe roll it into a tight tube.

Good luck, sounds cool. Post pics when you are done!
    :)
  25. Arc-Demon Jedi Knight

Yeah, thats the only way i could think of doing it. Rolling the sand paper into a tube.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.