main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Jedi-Loreen's EL Lightsaber Blade Tutorial

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi-Loreen, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRah

JediRah Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    *Grin*, oops, thats my lovely (but evil) cat, posing for the camera (kinda). Most Jedi would be pretty surprised if you threw that at them, even if it didn't light up and glow.

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Bumpity bump!;)

3. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Well I suppose I can make one little comment that I bought my lathe and am just waiting for it to arrive on April 10th. Then the EL Sabers will be pouring out of my shop. Hehe. Can't wait.

4. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    This stuff looks like it could be interesting . . .

Not sure how it's powered, so it might not be feasible for sabers (yet), but I saw a link on the RPF and thought of you kids. ;)

5. xwingband

xwingband Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2001
    Too bad it should be in the LED thread...

Seems to be available in the sized chunks we might want but things like these always seem to have a catch. Some of the pictures don't seem terribly bright either.

6. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    I considered posting it there too, but since it seems to work more like EL wire, I thought it would be more appreciated here.

7. the_steve

the_steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey guys! Reviving this thread again, but for a reason.

I just went to autozone with my dad for car parts. I actually found some EL wire at my own home town.[face_dancing] They had red, blue, and green. It runs on 12 volts, but they come in only five foot sections. I was wondering if anyone has tried this. They plug into a cigarette lighter but can also be hardwire custom installed. I guess they had inverters because they would be useless without. I couldn't tell if they did because the only exposed part was the wire itself. Is five feet bright enough to really do much?

8. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Everyone's been recommending 9 or 10 feet. Enough to go down the length of the blade 3 times.

9. the_steve

the_steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2005
    Darn... maybe a dagger with a one foot blade would be doable. Unless there is a way to attach two strings, then that is very depressing. At least i found a local supplier. I have a luxeon green saber already but i thought i may try the EL wire. Then duel with them both!!

10. sporty

sporty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    Well,

Howdy !

Been awhile since I got back and posted here.

So many other projects going on.

Recently Built a few sabers for A women's kids.

I directed her to stryders site to order some of the stuff.

She got the 4hz inverter. Now that came with connector for 9 volts.

But I read a few postings back, I believe I caught, Jedi Loreen mentioning they were 12 volt.

Sporty

11. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    If I said that, I probably said (or at least meant) that they can run at 12V. [face_thinking] Though when I first wrote this tutorial, there was no such thing as a 4khz inverter. ;)

Don't you know that EL is dead? Long live LED! lol [face_laugh]

Now that I have 5 EL sabers, I'll probably never build another one for myself.

I've pretty much retired from making blades, too. I just direct people to Strydur's site now.
    :p

12. sporty

sporty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    Lol,

I don't think EL is dead, But might be a little sleepy !

[face_skull]

I don't see my making to many more of them either. Just cuz they last long, and the ones I built last year, still work really well.

Though I will likely add in the more powerfull 4hz inverter into some of them.

And I am going to build a led saber. Just to build one, Still gather info. But won't be to long before I get some of the items from styrder.

Sporty

13. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query. :)

14. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Whoa :eek:, who wanted to dredge up this old thread? :p

15. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    'Twas I! Is it normal for an inverter to squeal when I turn it on? I got the Pipsqueak driver from coolneon.com (not the classic Pipsqueak, the other one) and it's making this VERY irritating (and headache-inducing) loud high-pitched noise. Did I get a bad one or do they all do that?

16. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    all inverters will make a noise when on.

17. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Most of the Pipsqueaks do put out that high frequency hum. You could put a little foam insulation on either end of it, that should help to minimize that.

For some reason, I can't hear the inverter in my Parks Fusion, but I can her it in my M2.

18. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    All the inverters make some sort of whine an some are worse than others.

And EL is not dead! I just made one last week :) I don't for see making an LED one in the near future because I'm not satisfied with the way they look for how much they cost.

19. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I have a pipsqueak and a classic pipsqueak, and the non-classic is much, much noisier. I know they all make some noise (even a cell phone makes a soft squeal when the backlight is on), but this one is LOUD. I dunno, I'll try muffling it I guess.

I'm making a halo. It looks pretty great. Thanks guys! :)

20. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I have one that I bought years ago that has about 9 feet (3 strands) and one I just built which has 17 (5 strands). I was able to see enough of a difference that I recommend spending the extra money for the extra 8 feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.