main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Jedi Master Palpatine instead of Darth Sidious?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The Sith Camp, Mar 20, 2015.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    I dunno if this has been in yet but with Palpatine - in the Darth Plagueis novel he remarked had Darth Plagueis not mentioned his Force-Sensitivity or the fact how Darth Plagueis found him then and his potential rather than the Jedi, and if the Jedi had found Palpatine he most likely may have been taken in earlier if they found out about his connection to the Force ... but what you reckon if may be if Palpatine had been 'Master Palpatine' rather than 'Darth Sidious' ... could he have been a potential second 'Chosen One' in a sense? Just curious I mean seeing the meme's of Darth Yoda ...

darskpine10 likes this.
  2. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't think Lucas meant for Palpatine to be a Chosen One, even if he had become a Jedi.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think in a way he was an appointed person given his influence on the whole of this Saga.

4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If Palpatine had come to the Jedi at an early age and not raised by his abusive and controlling father it might have helped.

By the time he was older, Palpatine wasn't particularity fond of the Jedi. Not to mention his darker nature.

5. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    I understand that - but I just had a thought - and surely some others would have thought of a What If - had Palpatine been actually discovered by a Jedi at a still-then fairly young age - so just prior to the age of 15-17 - well 17 the time he murdered his family and joined Darth Plagueis as his Sith Apprentice but perhaps when Palpatine was below the standard age of 10 or the norm that Jedi recruiters would look for those potent in The Force ...

Yup - you struck the spot then - but then again - with Palpatine - when Darth Plagueis asked him in the novel how he thought of the Jedi and Palpatine cynically remarked how the Jedi are supposed to be 'peace keepers' yet at times they don't seem to 'deal enough justice' and such to warrant their roles and Darth Plagueis was impressed by Palpatine's interest in Galactic Politics ...

Although would you say - where Darth Plagueis - when Palpatine remarked he had aspirations to be a Race Driver - well a Speed Racer and Darth Plagueis remarked 'The House of Naboo might have higher expectations for its eldest son...' and Palpatine bluntly as-a-matter-of-fact remarked 'I ignore the expectations of others...' as if saying like Cad Bane 'I bow to no-one!' ... then again wouldn't that then be in a sense like Anakin, Jedi-turned Dark Jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Gray Jedi and the Jedi Exile where both weren't always 100% with ideals and expectations of the Jedi Order? Given the fact how Palpatine - then again if he was accepted at a very young age in the Jedi Order - could he have been similar to them or like Count Dooku as Count Dooku was also born to a wealthy and proud family - although unlike Palpatine Count Dooku atleast was a Jedi for a few decades plus the fact how Count Dooku didn't murder his family in cold blood unlike Palpatine whom already hated his family and 'didn't give a Force' about anyone - even loyal ones to him as long as they served him enough...

6. DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry

DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2015
    The whole point of the prophecy of the chosen one was that one with the force, neither Sith or Jedi, would bring balance and end all feuding in the gallaxy. Palpatine was key in the flow of the force and could not have been a Jedi no matter what. He was chosen by the Cosmic FORCE to be Sith.

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't particularly like the idea of Anakin, or Palpatine, or any other character being 'chosen' by the force for a particular purpose, but even if they are, I would think that the way in which they achieve their destiny would be less prescribed than the destiny itself. I would hope so anyway.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Now that you mention it - I wonder why The Force ended up making Anakin some what 'arrogant, impulsive and too emotionally-attached' at times ... given if one is to be the Chosen One you'd want a little less deviousness eh? Given Anakin half the time was reckless and quick to anger and typical arrogant hero traits when he should have known better and the fact Obi-Wan Kenobi had to admonish him at times ...

9. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like the whole chosen one thing. I can actually see Palaptine as a Jedi if he had been taken in. I can see him as a maverick though. I don't like the whole balance of the force thing. I'd rather see the force as an ability people are born with(kind of like wizards in Harry Potter but not as many abilities, pretty much just the abilities we see in the SW movies)that can choose to do good or evil.

I don't like the how the darkside is portrayed. A light character should be allowed to get angry. I don't believe all anger is bad. The darkside could have just meant they use their powers for evil or the darkside could have been a alternate power source from some evil entity.

I don't like the idea of a ying-yang sentient energy field controlling things. I can see that as a Jedi belief that is wrong. The Jedi aren't always correct in their beliefs anyway nor are the Sith.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If Palpatine would have been discovered, he would have been tested and there would be question as to how he was so strong. But the Jedi wouldn't think he was the Chosen One based off of it. Qui-gon comes to his conclusion because of all the fact surrounding his meeting Anakin.

1. The boy had no father whatsoever. Qui-gon knows that Shmi is telling the truth which leads Qui-gon to wonder why and in testing him, he discovers that the boy has the potential to be stronger than any Jedi in existence.

2. Qui-gon suspects something or someone is behind the actions of the Federation. This is confirmed when Maul shows up and attacks him as if he was strong in the Force himself. Someone who as he puts it was, "well trained in the Jedi Arts." A normal person cannot fight a Jedi that way, especially with a Lightsaber and not rely on other means. This was demonstrated when Obi-wan had fought Tor Vizsla who had to rely on his Mandalorian gear to fight Obi-wan when he was using the Darksaber against Obi-wan. Jango had to rely on only his Mandalorian weapons and had to try and disarm Obi-wan to gain an advantage.

3. Qui-gon recalled his experiences with the Priestesses prior to the Naboo mission, who had taught him how to retain his identity upon death. It was for a very specific reason.

4. Putting this all together, he concluded that the Sith were indeed back and that as a result, Anakin was the Chosen One.

Without all this, Palpatine would be just viewed as potentially powerful who could be a great ally to the Jedi.

The Force didn't make Anakin do what he did. He was who he was because he chose to be that way and Palpatine got into his head and twisted his thinking to match his.

11. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Its not like Jedi masters trained from a young age are immune to falling to the dark side, and given everything we know of Palpatine's personality I think he would have ended up evil regardless, just taking a slightly different route to power

12. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hmm - now that you mention it - how much of Cosinga Palpatine's influence on Palpatine would you say molded him into pretty much a cruel, selfish and sadistic individual - given by the age of just 17 Palpatine already had a record for causing trouble and mischief and believing as if he was entitled to all the power and glory in the world and that Palpatine had even caused deaths using his speeder at time ...

13. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    It's an interesting concept to ponder the creative possibilities. Everyone who was good turns out evil instead and vice versa but the end result remains the same.

14. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Have you ever read Destiny's way? Vergere has a lot of good philosophical insights into the jedi and the force.