Jedi Mission - Website Copyright Violations

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by Obiwan27, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obiwan27 Jedi Padawan

Hey all!

Was in the process of developing a fan website wherein fans can download actual Jedi Knight missions to go on (pdf format to print out) - I'm a professional adventure designer for corporations and was really excited about offering an exciting 'path' - all in the real world that would test one's very character. However, after a casual conversation with a copyright lawyer, he said that I would be in violation of copyright infringement. I explained that it would be free and there are tons of fan sites that offer all kinds of sound effects, images, clips, etc...with no problem. I've looked EVERYWHERE!!!!!! to get info on contacting Lucasfilm to talk to them...does anyone have anything info on this? Is EVERYONE in violation but Lucasfilm just doesn't care? Has anyone gotten a 'cease and desist' letter before? Anyone know if I can offer these free of charge (just want to launch a huge working adventure 'Jedi Path' for Star Wars fans everywhere...

HELP!!! - Thanks :)
  2. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    What do you mean by jedi knight missions? Do you mean levels for the jedi knight video game? DO you mean D20 or D6 RPG adventures? If you can more clearly define what you are trying to do, I can show you if there is a prescedent for it or not.
  3. Obiwan27 Jedi Padawan

Thanks for replying :) Well, imagine downloading a pdf file - printing out the pages. Give the packet to someone else - they place the pages in different parts of the city, etc. for you(physical places in and around where you live.) You then go through (think of it as a VERY elaborate treasure hunt sort of...in format) It would take several days to get through - there would be choices to make along the way, real life situations to get around, etc. It would put you first person as a Jedi Knight...having to see if you PERSONALLY had the character to get through (are you patient enough to wait when you need to, self sacrificing when the REAL situation calls for it, etc.) It's actually a concept I've been working on for years...I'm only bringing it out now...Does that make more sense?

However, I'm still dying to know how it's 'cool' from Lucas's standpoint for everyone to put all these fansites, etc. with all this copyrighted material for free...you don't see Disney doing that... :) Or is it NOT cool? Would they come after me by putting up a site?

Thanks again for taking the time... :)

4. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Welcome to Fan Sites! Copyrights on Star Wars stuff is a sticky area because George really gives the fans a loooooooot of leeway to take creative license (of sorts) with his creations. That said, technically every fan film and fan site that uses content directly from Star Wars is in violation. That also said, generally if you're not making any money off of it and you give credit to the original creators you're fine. There are massive websites that offer downloads and the like from all kinds of SW sources (even TheForce.Net if you think about it) so you just have to be careful. :)

Hope that helps!
  5. Obiwan27 Jedi Padawan

Thanks so much...and yes it does help tremendously. Quick question...when you say 'not making money' does that also refer to the advertising that I see on a lot of high traffic star wars sites (banner ads, etc.)?
  6. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    So basically you are just putting out pdf files for a Star Wars LARP (Live Action Role Play). As long as you aren't charging for the downloads, or membership to the site, I would say you are fine to put up ads and what have you. On my site, we do .pdfs that include free fan supplemental material for the D20 RPG game, somewhat similar. Technically, putting anything star wars online is illegal, but lucasfilm has a pretty good policy about letting the fans do what they want unless they start trying to profit off it. Especially with your idea, because it is such a small niche thing (cool as it may sound, very few people are actually going to run around their local town pretending to be a Jedi) I doubt you would even pop up on Lucasfilm's radar (which is typically a good thing). So I would say go ahead and have fun with your idea! best of luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.