main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi morality

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_Enigmas, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Enigmas

Darth_Enigmas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2002
    Is a Jedi a model of moral righteousness? If so then why is it permissable to use mind tricks on people, and employ various other methods of subterfuge?

I dunno, I just like a good Paradoxial argument

2. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Sometimes small abuses are acceptable if it is for a greater good and if there is no real alternative. If a Jedi was casualy using such powers for no good reason it would be different.

3. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
  4. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    No theyre not.

There are CERTAIN moralities which they hold high, such as preservation of life. They dedicate their lives to this principal mainly. Then on the other hand, they have no problem killing like crazy (Anikan in droid factory, Luke at Sarlacc) but only when all else fails.

I guess we should say preservation of life is very high on the list, but not unconditional.

The rest of the time, Obi gets drunk, Qui-Gon steals bongos, and even though jedi do not love, GL says they DO sleep around. Hardly commendable.

They remind me of Batman. Batman hardly is a moral model, using borderline torture and scaring tactics to get the information he wants. But deep down, all he is, is a guy who doesnt want to see anybody die. Thats the whole point behind his "batman".

5. Darth_Enigmas

Dec 4, 2002
    ok, but killing droids and bug-lookin-things is one thing (not to mention the danger of being shot and killed), they aren't sentient beings, so they don't technically have "life".

And, if Jedi are such crummy examples of morality, then why do most people hold them in such high esteem?

Oh, and Batman is just a rich boy with alot of toys and some serious anger management problems :)

6. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Experience with Jedi. They are known for their morals and wise decisions, for millennia of law-enforcing, if I may call it that. I do not think Jedi think of themselves as righteous, which makes them all the more so...

7. Darth_Enigmas

Dec 4, 2002
    I agree
    but if there are so many moral discepancies, why are the Jedi revered as the moral upholders of the galaxy?
    Could it be that the Galaxy is so far gone into evil, that they are kinda...the lesser of 2 evils?

8. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    -->Could it be that the Galaxy is so far gone into evil, that they are kinda...the lesser of 2 evils?<--

I don't think you have to consider stealing a bongo and the like as (minor) evil. It's the same as James Bond...he beats ppl from bikes and out of cars etc. People get hurt, yes, but if he (they) wouldn't far worse individuals get away with their crimes, or take a helluva more folks with them before they go down. But true's true, that could be considered a lesser evil...I'd take it anyday though :D

9. Super_Secret_Mario

Super_Secret_Mario Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    "they aren't sentient beings"

Where does it say that they aren't sentient?

10. Darth_Enigmas

Dec 4, 2002
    well, the droids aren't anyway...
    Now that you mention it, those bugs were powerful intellegent, but I think that is a "Hive-mind" type thingy.
    ...maybe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.