main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Jedi of the Republic: Mace Windu #1-5 (3/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darkslayer, May 18, 2017.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016

He truly is the Spider-Man of the Jedi Order

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Mace Windu #2 preview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Kit Fisto cracking a joke. Mace is so humorless, it's the natural response. He's everyone's straight man.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://news.marvel.com/comics/75857/mace-windu-partys-just-beginning/
    Marvel.com: Give a brief rundown of Mace’s support squad—what skills do they each bring to this mission?

Matt Owens: Have to start with Kit Fisto—a fan favorite and a personal one as well. I liked the idea of working backwards from the fact that both he and Mace meet their end in the same battle. Why did Mace choose Kit for the Palpatine confrontation? There must be a connection there. I wanted to explore that trust and kinship leading up to that point.

With Prosset and Rissa, I wanted to explore ideas about the war through the eyes of new characters. Having someone young interacting with Mace seemed a great opportunity because he acts as a teacher, a mentor. So we can see how war changes that role in him. Of course, Rissa can be headstrong in her new titles and wants to prove herself—Mace respects that enthusiasm, but he also has to learn how to manage it correctly. And Prosset has this calm, cool presence. He’s very gifted in the Force, so Mace naturally sought to include his talents on the team.

Marvel.com: Mace might not be the cuddliest person in the world…so how do his teammates’ personalities clash or work well with his own?

Matt Owens: Mace acts in a very by-the-book manner. A stern leader. Kit has a good wit to him and Rissa has a light and youthful air about her. Both of these personalities offer some fun when played off of Mace. You will find some instances where personalities clash. Prosset says something smartass or Rissa says something weird or naive. But it serves as a learning experience for Mace as well, dealing with different people than just his fellow Council members.

Marvel.com: This limited series takes place during the Clone Wars, which means this stands several years before the execution of Order 66. Did you enjoy writing supporting Jedi characters that we didn’t see in the films?

Matt Owens: Yes! There have been some great stories told during the Clone Wars era and I couldn’t be more excited to get to tell more! Knowing the end of the Jedi looms allows for some foreshadowing about the journeys of certain characters. And it’s interesting to know the end to a story and work backwards to learn how we get to that point.

Marvel.com: What has been the highlight of writing a fan-favorite like Mace Windu?

Matt Owens: It’s Mace Windu! That says it all right there. Expert fighter, total badass, brilliant mind. You can feel such depth to him as a character; peeling back his layers and discovering what makes him think the way that he does has been an incredible experience.

Marvel.com: What should readers know before picking up a copy at their local comics shop?

Matt Owens: War takes its toll on people in many different ways. Mace stumbles into a situation that will test him both physically and emotionally. Issue #2 drops today—and issue #1 ended with a reveal of a new villain with a very different POV. I think people will dig AD-W4 the more they see him interact with Mace. He brings out elements of our titular character that have never been explored before.
    Mace Windu #3 variant cover.
    [​IMG]

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Mace Windu vs Ultron.

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil, KamNale and 3 others like this.
  7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I can't be the only one who read the droid baddies dialogue imagining James Spader's Ultron voice?

Also
    Kit Fitso saying he'll always have Mace's back....

[​IMG]

Doesn't work out so great!

JediFett10 likes this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I will now. ""You say you want to protect the Republic, but you don't want it to change. How is the galaxy saved if it's not allowed to.....evolve? There's only one path to peace, the Jedi's extinction.

Did you know the Jedi temple is in the exact center of Coruscant, the elders decreed it so everyone would be equally close to the Force, I like that the geometry of belief

Mace windu, the Jedi's righteous man believing he can live without war, now i can't physically throw up...."

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't know why but I have a feeling that this droid mercany is going to turn out to be some kind of droid supremacist and try and get the battle droids to become independent and loyal only to him.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Maybe this is going to wind up being the origin for Mace's bizarre attempt to talk battle droids into defecting in that one TCW episode.

11. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008

To be fair to Mace, battle droids have shown a prodigious sense of their own mortality throughout TCW. Was probably worth a shot.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This goes down as one of the biggest "WTF IS HAPPENING???" moments that like 2 people commented on mildly online. Like who even thought of that? "Hey, mid-episode, when everyone else is fighting, have Mace jump on a crate and address a ****ton of battle droids with a stirring there-is-good-in-everyone Tom Hanks speech. Mace does that all the time, right?"

13. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Mace trying to negotiate with a load of mindless battle droids was silly

However in hindsight it's nowhere near as stupid as a AP-5 singing in space

vncredleader and spicer like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Okay, I remember this, but which episode was it in? It must've been one I've only seen once or twice, tops, because I definitely don't remember it.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Unfinished Business", one of the unfinished episodes. Which... wasn't actually a bad arc overall, but this was pretty weird.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow that's like the least Mace thing to do. Like if normal Mace so a Jedi try to do that he would likely give them a stern lecture.......well that or just glare at them which would do the trick as well

17. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I... can definitely see that being a deleted scene had production on those episodes continued....

18. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    My thoughts exactly, unless there's some sort of lead-in/larger context. Like maybe if the series was going to start playing more with the question of droid sentience/personhood; Mace did have that mini-arc in R2 Come Home that could potentially be followed up on, and it wouldn't be total nonsense in that light to at least allow them the opportunity to surrender as enemy combatants if that thread is being further developed.* It's not like we haven't seen battle droids trying to surrender before, even.

It's still a stupidly written and presented scene though, and I love both Mace and droids.

(*There are other instances of Jedi being decent to (non-enemy) droids when they didn't necessarily have to. Off the top of my head, Luminara helping up the little stick droid and Plo greeting R2 plus supposedly not memory wiping his own astromech either. And Ahsoka with R2 and, for a while, "Goldie." So we do see hints of a range of Jedi views of droids that isn't just Obi-Wan's dismissive "it's just an object, geez" attitude, and not just in the case of Anakin being possessive of a personal friend either.

Which is not to suggest that some Jedi can sense droid souls in the Force or anything silly like that. But I could see it being a view held by some in the Order that you may as well be decent, just in case.)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    See, I actually thought that scene was funny - it just comes across as very OOC for Mace in particular.

20. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I miss the days when a thoughtful, compassionate Mace was the norm and not OOC throw-away gag material. Man TCW really flanderized the **** out of him.

BookExogorth and MercenaryAce like this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    How would they have not been instantly melted under that degree of blasterfire? Like, it's Star Wars, I get it, and you expect the bad guys to be poor shots to a certain degree... but that's different from "100 battle droids aiming at two guys only have one or two shots on target every few seconds".

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I wish I could watch that, but for some reason YouTube is not working on my computer and it's really frustrating me. :rolleyes:

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I was really excited for this comic when it was first announced. But I can't read a comic book with such hideous art. I really want to because we have such few Prequel comics these days. But this is just so ugly. Compared to the amazing art we're getting in the Vader comic series this is just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TK-421 Is vader and kalzeth like this.
  24. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    I think it's a shame. There's a lack of new canon material in the prequel era that doesn't have the childish tone of TCW, so I was very excited for this series. But the art is just awful, certainly the worst Marvel has come up with.

Let's hope we get in the future more mature prequel stories (or at least better art).

kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I've finally caught up on this series and the thing that struck me the most (apart from a droid commander who actually wasn't designed by or cares for the CIS. Incredibly interesting choice!) is the fact that the continued push to make B1s the "comic relief" has made them weirdly sophisticated given their apparent capabilities. Think about it. They're supposed to be the dumbest of the dumb, the most basic model of battle droid the Separatists have to offer. And yet, despite this, they're capable of appreciating - without any input - the most complex of human emotions. In just the first issue, the B1s express an understanding of the subjective appreciation of beauty (and lament that they have no one to share the sight with), boredom from being on patrol (surely one of the assigned functions of a battle droid), and even existential despair (one whines about living a life unfulfilled given their duties). I've literally met humans who lack as much depth as these movie cannon-fodder!