main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Jedi of the Republic: Mace Windu #1-5 (3/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darkslayer, May 18, 2017.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Paraphrasing here but:
    "If you desert I will hunt you down!" This coming from the man in TCW who refused to go after an eleven year old boy who blew up an entire cruiser of clones to assassinate him. Double standards Windu!

Personally I think in this comic they're trying too hard to make Mace more like Samuel L Jackson than a member of the Jedi Council.

2. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, the characterization is rather strange for everyone here.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Prosset Dibs and his completely random flip-out is the one point that I just keep coming back to. It seems like they're trying to do the 'Jedi is driven to breakdown by the moral conflicts of the Clone Wars' beat without any effort into actually making it an understandable character decision.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree that the highlight of the entire mini so far are the flashbacks in the latest issue, only because they give us some new information about Mace. And I commend Marvel/the author/LFL/whoever for deciding to do this, because these kinds of details is what I expect from the new canon - brand new stuff not covered in either Legends or canon. Some stories in the new canon are more or less a rehash or a reinvention of things from Legends that didn't require either, and unfortunately, this mini is exactly that for the most part.

With the exclusion of the flashback, I feel that this mini is trying to be a modified & abbreviated version of both Jedi: Mace Windu and Shatterpoint, like Dark Disciple is for Republic. With one more issue to go, things may change for the better, however.

5. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    I like how young Mace holding Drooz at saberpoint parallels him later doing the same thing to Palpatine, with nearly the same argument over whether to let the courts decide or exact justice himself. He forgets the lesson he learned here in the face of the greater threat of the Sith, and it turns out to be his undoing.

SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  6. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    And it's finally over. I'm sad to say that this mini is one of my least favourite SW comics in general, and not just from Marvel. Despite it all, I really, really, really hope that we'll see more Jedi of the Republic minis, as the concept has so much potential. I don't know how well this series sold or how it was received critically (heck, I might be in the vocal minority that didn't like it!), but just in case this series didn't perform as well as Marvel expected, I hope that won't discourage Marvel to give us Jedi stories from different eras covered in this format. Only with better stories and art, in my opinion.

lordpixie, RavagerFish and kalzeth like this.
  7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Same here -- outside of the flashback scenes in issue #4, I was left underwhelmed by this mini but hope for the Jedi of the Republic line to continue. A few short opinions on the final issue:

No tension in the action or lightsaber battle. AD-W4's 'ejection' was unexpected, then immediately laughable. Too bad something more impressive wasn't done with him or his demise. The art was decent in the panels with AD-W4's electro-baton, but otherwise the pencils in this mini were pretty mediocre. I think the penciller draws droids much better than other beings.

I have a heck of a time remembering AD-W4's name and keep calling him WD-40.

8. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Weird how Poof appears in the background of issue 5, given the fact that he’s dead.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I haven't read any of these issues. What was the general gist of this story?

cwustudent likes this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    You're right! Story group control hick-up?

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No one cared about it Ghost, all anyone's done is complain about the art. [face_devil]

12. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    The thing is, if you accept his depiction in this series, everyone who criticizes Mace is right and it’s kind of hard to see how he came to his position on the council.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  13. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Wondering if Dibs is one of the Inquisitors in the Vader comic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Yeah, Matt Martin has confirmed that the comic was in error:

15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I wonder if that will be fixed in the TPB?

In retrospect, there are two things that I liked from this mini: the flashback moments when Windu was a padawan - it provided new information for the character that is not a reinvention or a rehash of anything from Legends (also, I liked the artwork for the flashback panels); and, the re-canonization of the Miraluka.

16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Well I binged on this and finished last night, I thought it was okay, 3.5 stars. The art was good, really good in some parts in fact. The story was uneven. I also liked the flashbacks with Csylin Myr. Those were cool interposed w/the present. Risa Manno.

17. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    I think you may be the only one I've every seen actually LIKE the art in this series.

18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    LOL. It wasn't bad, uneven though by far. Some panels wouldn't be bad where others would or issues for that matter. I of course would've preferred a different one.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I just finished this myself and found the whole thing underwhelming. I wouldn't say it was bad just......very average, really felt like they could have done more with this series.

20. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    I wonder, with the new info from the current Darth Vader series in mind, if this book will be more enjoyable to read?

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    One of several so far, in both continuity and portrayal.

spicer likes this.
  22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, the info in Darth Vader works more as a nod to the Mace Windu mini, and it does not require of the reader to be familiar with any other comics, including the latter. If one hasn't read Mace Windu, the name drop of Prosset Dibs would be no different from the name reveals for the Ninth Sister and Sixth Brother. If there are additional references to this mini, then maybe that would influence the re-readability of this comic, but it would still depend greatly on how substantial those references are. At the moment, the reveal in Darth Vader has almost no effect on the quality of Mace Windu, at least not to me.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  23. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Just finished rereading the mini. Not nearly as bad as I remembered, but the art is still all over the place.

revan772 likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh god this comic oh god oh god. The story is ok. The dialogue is fine. The scenery and the machines look nice. But the characters? Was the artist on the shortest deadline ever? I don't mind if the art is funky if it's consistently funky, like the Samurai Jack-style Clone Wars where it's not like, "best art eva!" but it's art and the artist sticks to what they do. It's their gig. I respect that.

But this????????

Let's get the worst out of the way first: the Jedi Council:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like forget that Yareal Poof should be dead. I would take that any day over whatever the hell is happening to Saesee Tiin's head. Or how Mace has lost his face. Or... or... what is that blue thing?????? Is it supposed to be Yaddle?

And then this:
    [​IMG]
    LIKE WHAT IS THIS???? Is it like that poorly restored painting of Jesus, with the face sort of melting into itself? Like what's happening here???

Then there is the game: What Mace do you feel like today?
    [​IMG] Covid mask Mace at the coffee shop?

[​IMG]
    Hot night on the town Mace?

[​IMG]
    Spikey-nosed STAP Mace?

[​IMG]
    Sad Mace is sad Mace?

The artist also seems unaware of the exact size of a super battle droid. At first I thought this was a case of Bigger Luke, but I think it's just that the artist thinks SBDs are the size of octuparras. Observe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, no shocker comic would be complete without the nudist rendition of the Battle of Mon Calamari:
    [​IMG]

Honestly this is one of the weirdest comics I've ever seen. I've already forgotten the plot, but I'll never forget melting Yoda.

25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    This is a profound reminder that the overall art in SW Marvel is in a much better place than when we were all "the tracing is awful" but the alternative could at times be... well, what you just shared.