main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Outcast: General Discussion (was "Jedi Knight 2!!!!!!!!!!!")

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Indy3, May 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    *sniff*

I've been waiting for this day since... a long time ago.

Great news! Only downside is that we have to wait a year.

And K.K. is the main character. Also note how it has Jedi Training and Team matchups for MP. Good job. I wonder what the specs will be...

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Yay! WOOHOO!

Do ya thing it's the Vong, or some other baddie (Charon [face_devil] )???

3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Yahoo! I can post! (yesterday I was getting a strange error message that wouldn't allow me to post)

JK2, Rogue Lead, and being able to post...

THREE GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER!!!!!

4. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I guess it's definitely possible that we see the Yuzzhan Vong, but in my opinion the game doesn't have to be in a part of the EU we've already seen.

5. BoL_Pretender

BoL_Pretender Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    And prey this doesn't go the wayside like Obi wan did last year. Also LA is forcing me to upgrade my computer again next year to play it as I doubt my 266 will be able to handle a Q3 engine game lol.

Guess I better start saving my hard earned working money towards the parts for my next system like new case, motherboard, cpu, ram, video, power supply etc and re-use my other parts like my hard drive's/sound card etc.

I know how to build my own system so it's not a problem its saving up to buy them thats a LONG wait. :)

[image=http://www.infomatch.com/~ewoiwod/bolpretsig.jpg]

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Pret? Is this the same FBJK Pretender?

[image=http://www.bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    I was wondering the same, Sithy.

8. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    This game is going to rock.

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Oh, certainly, Dan42, I was just asking. I actually hope it isn't the Vong. I'd rather see the CHARON. They are way, way cooler, I think. Remember them?

10. QuiGonJinn14

QuiGonJinn14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 1999
    When I saw today that LucasArts is indeed making JK 2, I just went crazy! There are so many questions I have about this game, but from what I've read this game is still top secret, which explains why nobody heard about this in advance. This also means that we probably won't see anyone but LucasArts showing off gameshots on their webpage. Hopefully in the next few days we will get some screenshots, and if we are really lucky we'll find out more specific details (i.e. levels, weapons, force powers, characters, etc.). Let's hope LucasArts has made one hell of a first-person shooter for the PC!!!

-QuiGonJinn14

11. BoL_Pretender

BoL_Pretender Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    Yes twas I former FBJK_Pretender, now in the great Brigade of Light and on the zone as BoL_Pretender1. Feel free to visit our site in my sig. :)

[image=http://www.infomatch.com/~ewoiwod/bolpretsig.jpg]

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, I was woried about "1st person". I suuuuure darn hope it's 1st AND 3rd person.

It would be ruined if it was only 1st. :mad:

~Sithman~

13. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Yes, 3rd person is very useful in multiplay! Pity I only remembered about it halfway through the game 2 weeks ago :eek:

14. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Need more info!
    Can't wait, may be the only game I buy in the whole year it comes out

15. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Charon rock!

16. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Of course it will be third person, sillies. Can't operate sabers very well without it, now can we?

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II picks up several years after Katarn successfully avenged his father and defended the Valley of the Jedi from powerful Jerec and his group of Dark Jedi. Katarn has since abandoned his allegiance to the Force for fear that he might fall prey to the temptations of the Dark side. However, as fate would have it Katarn learns of a powerful new Dark Jedi who must be prevented from creating a technology to harness the power of the Force. Katarn's destiny and the future of the Star Wars galaxy once again hang in the balance as he confronts his dark past to face another seemingly insurmountable evil."

More about the plot in the press release on the webpage. Plus a pic of kyle now.

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Dan, but didn't it say on the site that it was a 1st person game?

~Sithman~

19. MJedi

MJedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 17, 2000
    It's first-person.

From the official LucasArts site:

"In the tradition of the multi-award-winning Jedi Knight, rebel agent Kyle Katarn returns in exhilarating first-person action." (Bold mine)

But if I remember, JK1 was also called a first-person game and yet we had the third-person perspective as well, so, who knows? :)

I just found out about the game today, and I'm totally excited!! :D :D :D

20. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Read this, clears up the view thing.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2761789,00.html

Sort of a JK2 preview...

21. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The gamespot story includes screenies from the wrong game, and says that Nar Shaddaa and the SMuggler's moon are two seperate places. I'm not inclined to trust much from the rest of that article...

Concerning timeline placement of JKII, I've come up with this:

Right Before ANH: Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire

Between ANH and ESB: Dark Forces

One year after RotJ: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Dark Forces: Rebel Agent, and Dark Forces: Jedi Knight.

6 years after RotJ, during DE: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith.

7-8 years after RotJ, right after Leviathan comic: Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II.

My reasoning? Ok, he has his quest for revenge, in which he kills Jerec and all that.

For the next five years, we're not really sure what he's doing, but by the time that those five years are up, we know that: a)he's attained the rank of captain in some division of the NR, be it the military, or intel or whatever, and b) that he's a renowned enough Jedi that Mara sought him out to teach her the basics of being a Jedi (this was before the praxeum. They go off to altyr 5, he teaches her to fight and think like a Jedi, but then he finds the reference to the Sith Temple on Dromuund Kaas, goes to investigate and is lured to the Dark Side. Mara goes, snaps him out of it, this is shortly after the events of DE. So Kyle, realizing the extent of his susceptibility to the DS after his informal, vengeful rise to the level of Jedi KNight, entrusts his 'saber to Luke and essentially stops using the Force, although he stays on Yavin IV to learn how to be a Jedi the right way. Then he finds out about this new threat and gets his 'saber back. That's why we see him in his cameo in Leviathan, training with other students, and that's why he didn't stand out enough to get mention in I, Jedi or JAT -- because he didn't have his lightsaber with him, and he was just kind of laying low and self-reflecting while there. So this game's best fit, from what we know, would be after Darksaber and immediately after Leviathan.

22. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, I'm going to update your timeline with some stuff you missed, that was in the EC.

Right Before ANH: Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire

Between ANH and ESB: Dark Forces

One year after RotJ: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Dark Forces: Rebel Agent, and Dark Forces: Jedi Knight.

6 years after RotJ, during DE: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith.

7 years after RotJ, kyle katarn enroles at the jedi academy as a first year student, he is also a New Republic Commander at this time.

8 years after RotJ, Kyle katarn battles the imperial forces along side other jedi. Because of dorsk 81 suggestion,Kyle Katarn and other jedi help focus energy into dorsk 81, saving the Jedi Academy from the Daala's fleet.

10 years after RotJ, right after Leviathan comic: Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II.

One note, the training in leviathan, kyle was using his lightsaber. It was luke reminenicing the past, so kyle was training with the sabre before leviathan.

23. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    That flashback could easily have been from one of the training scenes from the JA trilogy.

I'm mad it isn't called Jedi Outcast: Dark Forces III. Maybe this will play into the NJO timeline and why Kyle's not around.

24. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I sort of wish it was DF3, but it's all about gameplay. As long as it delivers, I won't be upset.

Sithman, JK is also an FPS. As is Tribes and Rogue Spear. It isn't uncommon for FPSs to have 3rd person views.

25. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    About the FPS part of the game.

From GameSpot:

When you activate the saber, the camera automatically switches to a third-person perspective, much like the way it did in Jedi Knight. While it'll be possible to wield the lightsaber in first-person mode, LucasArts says that saber control is much easier to achieve while in the third-person perspective. Most of his lightsaber techniques are taken directly from Jedi Knight--such as automatically deflecting laser bolts--but Katarn does have a new use for his handheld weapon: saber throw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.