Jedi Outcast: General Discussion (was "Jedi Knight 2!!!!!!!!!!!")

Discussion in 'Games' started by Indy3, May 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Well, it may still be available, but it's not on the shelves anymore, at least not in my local stores...only the Archives edition of JK...
  2. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    were I live, none of them except for the newest games are available on the shelves. But you can request for them to order you the older games, if you want them too.
  3. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Valiento, you're right! I like the new box art too...Simple is good.

You know, I never liked MOTS. I felt it ruined the awesomeness of the DF saga by making Kyle go to the dark side (one of the most incredible stupid things, IMO) and focusing on Mara Jade for 10 levels! I'm so glad that they're selling JK separately now.

Plus, the JK+MOTS combo pack box art was, well, weird. Why in the world did they have DARTH VADER on it (yes, i know he's in the MOTS multiplayer, but still...).

[image=http://www.bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~
  4. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    As a game, I liked Mysteries, and as a story I respected it. But I agree, the only reason they focused on Mara was to sell more copies -- they figured the average joe would probably know more about Mara Jade than Kyle Katarn. The Dark Side thing wasn't unreasonable; he didn't just fall, he was kind of lured, by the corruption of the dark side and the sith alchemy. For a similar example of sith temples to the one on Dromuund Kaas, see Requiem for a Rogue.
  5. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yes, kyle was under a kind of possession, which drove him to insanity for the time, unetil mara broke her out of it.
  6. RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Knight

star 2
    I seriously hated the way that Mysteries of the Sith jumbled up the storyline as I knew it. Where was the Moldy Crow? Jan Orrs? Is Mara married to Luke? Why's Kyle's saber a different color? Why's Kyle's voice replaced by Rino Romero, the peppy young guy who played as Spiderman in cartoons?

It bothered me so much that I ended up writing a small fanfic over in the fanfiction area of the forums, called KNIGHTFALL, check it out when you get the time, if you will. (Shameless self-promotion :D )

-Reb
  7. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Where was the Moldy Crow?"

Destroyed on Ruusan in a crash landing.

"Jan Orrs?"
    Unknown, probably in intelligence or helping mon mothma out.

"Is Mara married to Luke?"
    In dark empire times, no.

"Why's Kyle's saber a different color?"

It was the same color, but the added lighting and improved graphics changed the tone a tiny bit.

"Why's Kyle's voice replaced by Rino Romero, the peppy young guy who played as Spiderman in cartoons?"

Because the actor, couldn't do the job, i'm guessing. No time.
  8. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yah, 'member how the Crow crashed just before you face Sariss? *sniiiiiiff* I'm gonna miss that ship in JO.

~Sithman~
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    New details revealed!

As if the MPG movie at www.jediknight.net isn't enough, here's some intersting bits & bobs from...
    IGN.com Outcast feature

edited highlights;
    Character models themselves are exquisitely detailed due to their large polygon count, but Dan Pettit also pointed out other features that made them appear visually impressive. The most apparent of these was the seamless meshing of polygon parts. As we looked at Kyle Katarn's model, we couldn't detect any polygon breaks. His form appeared very convincing, and the sweater he wore actually looked like a sweater rather than a texture.

Pettit also told us that the sequel will only contain in-game cutscenes rendered through the engine, making for more natural transitions.

...he did mention that Jan Ors, Kyle's friend and companion, will be returning for Jedi Outcast.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was a fairly large game that offered many hours of play, so it may not be surprising to learn that Jedi Outcast will be shorter than its predecessor. However, it's expected to provide more hours than Raven's Elite Force, which many deemed as rather short. In addition, players can look forward to various multiplayer modes once they have completed the single player portion of the game.

10. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Jan Oors! Yay! That'll bring back the DF feeling to the game!

Kyle Katarn wears a sweater? Hmmmm, must've been from Momma Katarn. Hmmmm, this could set up a very intriguing opening cutscene.

~Sithman~
  11. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sound bloody freezing Valiento.

Obviously the first level is set on Hoth. Wonder if Momma Katarn gave little Kyle a scarf & mittens too?

13. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LOL.

Ok, it sounds bloody freakin awesome, ;)
  14. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    OK now I get it.

At the start of each level, Kyle has to go to his closet and choose the appropriate clothing.

On Hoth, he needs a sweater. If he chooses speedos & a t-shirt, his health will decrease as hypothermia sets in.

Similarly on Tatooine, if you don a fur coat and a wooly hat, you'll overheat and dehydrate. Luckily though, you can steal clothes off the other people you kill (or force pull their clothes off - remembering this isn't an R rated game...).

You'll see me, I'm the guy with one strmtrooper armoured leg, a Rodian flak jacket, a scarf, and of course a sweater.
  15. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhee hee hee. That made me laugh. :D

~Sithman~
  16. darthmahon Jedi Master

star 2
    =( I can't get onto JediKnight.net, I wanna see this footage REAL bad, anyone know if there are any mirrors around?
  17. Darth_Simpson Force Ghost

star 4
    http://www.obi-wankenobi.net/e32001/e3jediknite.mpg

Here ya go!
  18. Demosthenes_Locke Jedi Youngling

star 2
    That looks amazing!! Can't wait!
  19. Leggo My Eggo Jedi Knight

star 1
    As a side note, as far as how long it's been since Jedi Knight I (or DF 2, depending on what you want to call it), I'd say it's been quite a while longer than in MOTS....on the Lucasarts page, if you look really close at Kyle's pic, you can see his beard is white.

I'd say it's about another 5 years or so...maybe around the time of The Crystal Star or the Black Fleet Crisis?
  20. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    At the chat last night, they said 12-13 years after RotJ.
  21. The Cat Jedi Knight

star 3
    NO LIVE ACTION CUTSCENES?????????

What a frickin' RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, as if I won't still buy it.
  22. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I may be remembering incorrectly, but it didn't say no live action cutscenes, it said that "in game" cutscenes will use the games engine. But cutscenes at the very beginning and end, and maybe in between some of the levels, aren't ingame, so they may be live action or even prerendered.

Or you could be optimistic "well, the game engine in JKII is better looking than prerendered cutscenes of older games"
  23. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Mas,
    Actually, you're right- kinda. They're gonna do the in-game cutscenes using the QuakeIII engine, but they will do the between-level/beginning-and-end cutscenes pre-rendered. This will be cool. :D

~Sithman~
  24. pat-fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The chat said the game is set 13-14 years after the Battle of Yavin. Which does not make sense to me. This puts the game right around the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire.Maybe this is an error on the part of LEC. (Note)I read this from the chat transcribtes.(SP?) Hopefuly just a typeo on thier part.
  25. Jaepee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Maybe he meant Battle of Endor.

I don't know why he just didn't say 12 or 13 years after ANH or ROTJ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.