main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Outcast: General Discussion (was "Jedi Knight 2!!!!!!!!!!!")

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Indy3, May 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I don't know. Did anyone take that survey for JO that LA sent out a while ago? They asked if you'd buy an expansion or sequel to JO.

As for the AT-ST skin will do. :D

2. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    I really enjoy this game a whole heck of a lot. I think it's the best thing that LucasArts has put out in a long damned time. I think it's the best non-space simulation they've put out. I think just about everything is excellent, except for some personal preferences. Others agree too, I think....

My biggest problem with this game (online) isn't the game itself. It's the people that play it. I usually go to a FREE FOR ALL game because that's fun. The name says it all, 'anything goes' but people cry and whine about this and that. Granted, I don't like being killed while adjusting my settings, and I don't like being killed while typing messages, but guess what, it's a free for all and so what if I have to respawn?

Now, we have clans. Whopee. More people who want to enforce their views on other players. More power to them. I hate joining these servers. Upon entering the game, you see anywhere from 6-10 people watching two people duel. If you dare to ignite your saber and slash a player or two, they put you to sleep and force you to abide by their rules. (which, by the way there is the 'duel' mode in online play) These clans are so un-fun it's un-funny.

What I think is funny is that these 'clan servers' enforce their rules on me (and for the most part, I abide by their rules while I'm on there server) and they think they're all high and mighty, but in reality, I couldn't care any less. Guess what? Not going to that server.

But my biggest problem is that more and more servers are going to a 'saber-only, no force powers' type server. This really limits the game. Yes, what makes this game stand out from other FPSs is that you can fight with a saber. It is really cool. But, ever just want to blast away on others? You can't on most servers, because it's 'gay' or 'lame.'

Man, the players are making this game too lame. Most of the time the so-called 'clans' who have their rules only enforce the rules on certain players. Some players get away with breaking their rules, but they tend to be selective with who's getting away with what.

Anarchy is best on this game, I think.

Anyone got a list of 'fun' servers that still allow full force powers, weapons, sabers and killing? The only one I know of right now is the POO server, but it's starting to get a little 'respectable' with the killing.

Oh, and sorry for the earlier REDUNDANT post. I didn't realize I was supposed to go back 6 or 7 pages to check and see if anything even remotely resembling a topic I'm about to post has been covered.

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Hey, I'd like to point you to this thread. Maybe you'll get an idea.... ;)

:)

¤Night

4. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    That's cool, but I'm not reviewing the game, I'm reviewing it's players.

5. sphere_master

sphere_master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    I just got JK2 recently. I can't leave my spot on the fanfic boards for more than a few minutes, so I'll just say, even though there's a chance someone else already said it........Outcast is good. It's very good.

If you want a really cheesy way to scare yourself for Halloween, set g_saberrealisticcombat to 9, then cut a bunch of stormies to nice little pieces, then use Force pull. You should scream, even if it doesn't scare you; it's the principle......

(unenthusiastic scream) AAAHHHHHHH. Like that. Anyways, back to familiar territory......

Sphere Master :cool:

6. Badnews

Badnews Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Hello, Just a quick question about JO. I just recently purchased the game for (GC). Is the whole game a puzzle like the first board or do things open up a little? Thank you for your time.

7. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    My biggest beef with this game is the end battle is very anticlimactic. It was just too easy, especially once you figure out that you can become completely invulnerable every 60 seconds or so, thanks to that "force stream" or whatever it was. I think JO was a better game overall, but Jedi Knight had the better end battle.

-Jomero

8. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    So... how's the X-Box port of JO? Anyone have any reviews or observations?

9. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    i just bought the xbox version yesterday. the visuals are pretty good. the controls are good, too. but the sound kinda sucks.

10. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Well, as long as it uses good ol' Star Wars sound effects and doesn't sound like it's being played through a transistor radio, I'm thinking the gameplay will probably make up for any lack in the overall sound. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Have fun!

11. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Picked up a copy for X-Box last night. Lots of fun so far, though I only had time to get into the second half of the first level. Controls are smooth, graphics are good, sound is decent so far, and the gameplay is spot-on. I'm already noticing decent AI for the stormtroopers, and the level design is quite good from what I've seen. Definitely a good addition to the Dark Forces series!

I'm looking forward to getting further into it this weekend when I have some time.

12. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    What I think is funny is that these 'clan servers' enforce their rules on me (and for the most part, I abide by their rules while I'm on there server) and they think they're all high and mighty, but in reality, I couldn't care any less. Guess what? Not going to that server.

I don't think they necessarily think they are all high and mighty. I used to be in a Return to Castle Wolfenstein pseudo-clan (we'd get together on a friends server and play). We didn't really have any rules per se, but one night a friend was trying to get to the top of the map so we all stopped fighting and tried to help him. The people on the server that didn't know us weren't happy about it, but to bad. It was his server and we were having fun. We stopped playing shortly after that cause some of the newer clan members wanted to go compete in online tourneys and we were just there to have fun. Having to elect "leaders" and have one person be in control of everything just wasn't us, so we just stopped playing. The guy ended up having to take the server down anyway. Hopefully he'll be able to put it back up sometime in the future.

Regarding lightsaber only servers: yes, that's lame. Part of the fun of the game is being able to force push someone into the abyss as they try to jump the chasm to get you :)

13. Aliasalpha

Aliasalpha Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2002
    I'll probably get this deleted for spamming but:

If anyone is stuck on JKII, I recommend the walkthrough at http://www.forcematch.com since it's the best I've seen. Well, I wrote half of it but it IS damned thorough, nothing's been left out.

14. Darth_Shoe

Darth_Shoe Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    Any one heard anything about An ST:EP2 TC of JK2:JO... (i love abreviations or whatever the hell you call em)... earlier on in this thread there was mention of it... but nothing recently... anyone know anything?

cheers

15. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Regarding lightsaber only servers: yes, that's lame. Part of the fun of the game is being able to force push someone into the abyss as they try to jump the chasm to get you.

I got my own theory about that: these servers are probably launched by and for players that are not true SW fans and are somewhat turned off by Force use. However, sometimes it is annoying being in a Force server where everyone is a heal/drainwhore or a fan of the very cheap "Pull/Kick-in-the-face" combo. :p

16. Yoda'sLuvShack

Yoda'sLuvShack Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 1999
    Not sure if anybody else feels this way, but I got JO for the Gamecube yesterday and when the cutscenes started up, I almost vomited. The movies were horrible. I may just be spoiled after having enjoyed Clone Wars for the last few weeks - and those graphics are just beautiful - but here is a game on the exact same console, but it reminds me more of a N64 game. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the game is good, but these ugly cutscene movies are killing it for me at points. I just hope they get better.

17. Bono

Bono Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    The multiplayer alone is worth buying the XBOX version.

18. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I have the demo, and have to say that, even though I prefer strategy games, it is a cool game.

I tend to use Push on the stormies a lot, especially right when I get into the generator room. One push and they're gone. :D

19. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    Which graphics are better, PC, XBOX or gamecube? Just curious :)

20. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    If your PC is good enough, PC (I don't know exactly what good enough is). If your PC is teh suck, then Xbox would have the best.

21. James_Brown

James_Brown Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2002
    Hey im just wondering does anybody play jedi knight 2 online? if so tell me i would like to plsy with u lol. my name is James_Brown.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  23. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Actually, the TF.N server is almost always empty.

24. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I was looking at the JO site and it says there is an extra mission on the console version called "Mission on Alzoc III" when the single player is completed.

Has anyone done this mission? I'd appreciate any info on it. Thanks

25. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    A good enough PC depends on how much detail you want. If you want all the details, you'll need a 1 Ghz+ machine with a high end video card. I'm talking something like a GeForce 4 (not MX) or an ATI 9700. You'll also probably want at least 256 MB RAM on the PC. Now, granted, you're gonna spend probably 3 times as much, but the same machine can be used to watch movies (if you don't mind that, it's not to bad actually), browse the web, e-mail, word processing, banking, etc. However, if you just want something for playing games and only for playing games, just get a console.

There was a time not to long ago when consoles always had better graphics. But with recent innovations in graphics card technologies, PC are quickly outrunning consoles. If you want the BEST graphics, you'll need a PC. You can get higher resolutions on a computer monitor then you can on a TV (yes, even a HDTV) and you can always upgrade your graphics card later to something that can do even more.

I run a 1.5 GHz CPU with a GeForce 2 video card (2 generations old) and it still looks as good as a lot of the consoles. I do plan to upgrade to the GeForce FX though when it comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.