Jedi Outcast : Technical Help

Discussion in 'Games' started by jp-30, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have diectX 9 and I can't uninstall it.

Is their anyway to get my dirctX to 8.0a?
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Look. Do you know directX is the cause of your problem with JO?

Cause I really doubt that it is.

And trying to rid your system of it (which may well require a HD reformat) is ridiculous if you don't know for sure that it's causing you the problems.
  3. Darth_Birdy33 Jedi Padawan

I recently had to replace my hard drive, and also reinstall JO. When I run the game, the screen flickers in the lower left region. The game runs, but the flickering is annoying. I never had this problem before. Other games work fine (Unreal II, Red Faction 2).

My system:
    Win 2000 SP2
    Direct X 8.1
    P3 933
    384 ram
    GeForce DDR 64MB w/ current drivers

Any thoughts? Thanks.

4. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    han_solo_321: According to this thread your best bet is to download the latest drivers for your video card. Also, if you're using a no-cd patch, you will have problems. I know since I had some problems myself when I used one.
  5. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    jp-30 already gave me all the right upgrates!
  6. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
  7. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Stop doing that! Don't UP threads without adding something to them.

What's your problem?

If it's DX9 you've been told that it can't be uninstalled. And you've also been told that your JO problem is unlikely to be caused by DX9.
  9. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Too add to the above comments:

You've also been told to update your video card drivers. I don't remember what video card you're running (and I frankly don't care at this point), but if you're running a GeForce, the latest drivers are 44.03. What version are you running? You may also want to try rolling your drivers BACK to the version recommended by LucasArts, which, for the life of me, I can't find right now.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, check out LucasArts support page for the game. They have a lot of info that I didn't even know about until just now.
  10. Xaelin Jedi Padawan

This annoying glitch just sprung up, and it's driving me nuts!

Up until a few days ago, the game was running fine. Then for some reason these multicolored bits start appearing on some of the textures, and before long the entire screen spazzes out with flashing blocks and colors, the game freezes, and I have to hard boot. I've tried fresh installing four or five times, downloading the lastest video drivers, messing with graphics settings in-game, and cleaning the CD, but the problem won't go away at all. It occurs in both SP and MP, Safe Mode or not.

Here are my specs:
    Windows 98 (1st Edition)
    Intel P3 450 MHz
    256 MB SDR RAM
    GeForce4 Ti 4200
    ~3 GB hard disk space

Hope someone has an answer. Thanks for your time.
  11. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    First question for you: Are you overclocking? If so, clock it back to a safe level and push it up again (if you're so inclined) in small increments.

Second question: Is the fan on your CPU or GPU (graphics card) busted? Either could be overheating. I've seen blue screens happen when the CPU gets to hot on systems where the fan stopped working. Since it's specific to your graphics, it could be that the fan on your GPU has stopped working. You can take the fan off, CAREFULLY pull up the sticker on the back, and drop some light oil into the fan. If it's totally hosed, you'll just have to replace it.

Hope that helps.
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Also, when you do your uninstall, have you completely removed the JO directory? (saving and DL'd content and your savegames to a safe location).

I say this because sometimes a mod can corrupt things, and sometimes settings can be overwritten - and neither of these things are necessarly removed during a re-install.

Ununstall. Delete JO directory & all subdirectories (backing up mods & savegames). Reinstall. Add mods back one at a time.

13. Xaelin Jedi Padawan

Okay, I moved my sound card, which was blocking the GPU's fan, but now the glitches occur almost immediately instead of after a few minutes...

I tried another game that uses either DirectX or OpenGL, and it started doing the exact same thing once I switched to OpenGL.

When I switched from a Voodoo 3 to my current card almost a year ago I had this problem where I had to replace the OpenAL32.dll in the JO folder with a different one, but then it was giving me a specific error message (it might have been that "Could not load OpenGL subsystem" or whatever). Again, I installed the newest video drivers (and some old ones), but nothing's taking. The problem probably lies in OpenGL or the vid card itself.

I hope I find something that works soon...
  14. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey dudes.
    Does anyone know the console command for changing your lightsaber colour in MP?

I know it's not the same as the SP code.
    The reason I want to 'console' it, is that I want to bind it, along with a name and model change, all to one key.

Cheers in advance,
    B.
    {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  15. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
  16. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have JO working on my computer!!!!!!

Because I went and bought a NEW one!!!!!

Anyway something baad is happening. SP works fine but MP won't work at all!

When i click on it it says an error has come or something like that.

Why won't MP work???
  17. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    MP won't work because you don't have a mp config file. I don't know why but sometimes the game doesn't create one.

I emailed you mine before, and there's a link to a download of it earlier in this thread.

Also ensure you are running version 1.04 - you may need to DL the patch, again, links earlier in this thread.
  18. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    Cound you post the link?
  19. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    the download won't work!

does MP run on Pentium 4?
  20. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    A P4 is fine. That's not the issue here.

What do you mean the download "doesn't work"? That the file's not there, or that you save the file to the directory I told you and the game still crashes?

Have you installed the 1.04 patch, and tried the MP game in Safe Mode?

21. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    That didn't work ether.

But I loojk a screenshot of what happens when I load up MP here
  22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Unfortunately the error box covers up all the information in the console that may help solve the mystery.

Also can you please post me a screenshot of your JO's /base/ directory?
  23. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
  24. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    See that first line in your console? You're still running v1.02.

You need to install the 1.04 patch. I see you have downloaded it because the zip file is in your Base directory. You need to unzip it and run the exe file.

25. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    I did and IT WORKS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I will go play some JO now!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.