main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Outer Tunic. Lined or not?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm thinking of using crinkled cotton as my tunic material (version 3.0), I've seen a pic of a Jedi costume using that and its the exact same look I want, but I was thinking of adding a "nice" element.

I'm considering lining the whole thing, same coloured material (black) but smooth. The idea is that as I move, you get a flash of the contrasting material under the tunic.

First off, what do you think, and secondly could the lining be considered "non-standard"?

It looks like Obi-Wan has some kind of lining in his sleeves, and not just against the fabric but hanging loose.

Has anyone seen any indication that the lining is just in the sleeves or is the whole tunic lined?

What advantages are there to having the lining loose like that? I know the idea of smooth material lining sleeves in a jacket is to avoid material from rubbing, but the looseness seems to me that it would be more annoying?

My costume is custom, so I don't need to be exact, but I would like to keep it "standard" as far as the elements are concerned.

2. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Crinkled cotton is a nice choice-it's durable, and often has a look as close as possible to what the movie tunics were made of. As far as lining, Obi-Wan's tunics were lined. I don't know if it was just the sleeves, but FWIW, they were lined. I'd say the lining was just to reduce rubbing/sticking/friction of the inner and outer tunics during the duel scenes. I thought about lining my whole outer tunic, but it was gonna end up being way too hot :)

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Obi's is lined. Might be a satin smooth stuff. Youmihgt be able to get away w/ only the sleeves being lined. There's a very thin lightweight but stainy silk that'd work. I'd die in that unless I'm in a very COLD hotel or Courescant itself. OH man, mine IS lined. I bettered stay near A/C vents then.<G>

Mynn

4. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well the idea I had would be to line the whole thing. With a crinkled cotton exterior and a satiny interior, you get that nice contrast from the tunic while moving/fighting etc...

As the colours are the same it'll be a subtle thing, but I think would give a nice effect.

As far as warmth, I don't want to extend a stereotype, but I am in Canada, and even though we have plus 30 degree (celsius) temps the past few weeks, it won't last forever, and doing an event in October the extra layer might come in handy

5. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Yes, Obi-Wan's are definately lined. If you're going to line, line the whole thing. It makes everything about it nicer.

My outer tunic is lined exactly like Obi-Wan's Episode II tunic and I love it. It's nice to wear and looks awesome. The lining material I used was Habotai Silk from dharmatrading.com. It's perfect, though you will have to dye it to the color you want.

If you have the money, I highly recommend using raw silk for your tunics. It's what I used and in my opinion (and the opinions of others who have seen my costume) it looks much better than crinkle cotton. You can also get that from dharma, and you will also need to dye it. All the money and effort is worth it, though!

6. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    The tunic is lined. If you look at some screen savers and pics of Obi Wan in an action scene or stance, the tunic sleeves
    droop down and you can see a shiny satin
    lining inside the sleeves.

7. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Thanks for the confirmation about the lining. I still can't figure out why is baggy instead of flush though.

Anyone who has made the baggy version, how does it compare to something more traditional?

As per the comments on the silk, well I did look. Only one store so far, and one that I know is expensive, but you go where the selection is.

Silk there was extremely expensive! $25/metre!! That encouraged me to look into crinkled cotton.

Having said that, I decided I'd compare to the prices at Dharma Trading, even with the exchange rate and shipping, those prices are way more reasonable.

So more technical, if I decide to order from there, what type and weight of silks would you suggest for the outer tunic and the lining. How about the inner tunic?

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Is Crinkled Cotton = (Indian) Cheesecloth? ?[face_plain]

For lining, can also try Acetate Lining (usually used to line coats) but this kind is less absorbance than Satin but good if on a budget. The only complain I got about it is that it's a bit thin.

9. HerrKutt

HerrKutt Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    I think we can all agree that Obi-Wan has satin-lined sleeves. But as for just the sleeves being lined, in most coats, it is just the sleeves that lined to help reduce the tackiness of the clothing against the under garments. I would hazard a guess that Obi's are the same way...

10. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Jedi Riibu,
    DO you have a pic of your garments? I'd like to see them. My over tunic is made from silk and is lined w/ the satin silk. It is cream or natural silk color.(A japanese haori coat I'd gotten froma garage sale several years ago.) Tabbords are raw silk (From Dharma trading CO.) also natrual silk(Cream) color.

WOofer: Speaking of the habotai silk, it is wonderful for a lining and an under tunic.:D Very afforadable. (I'm a college student and am on a budget.)
    Dharma has raw silk $5.15 a yard. They can also send you swatches of all their silks for under $5, you can see what they fel like. Believe me NO silk Dharma has is near $25 a meter. If you want the cream color, there silks come as natural(Cream) anyway. No dying needed unless you want to dye 'em black or brown. They aslo sell the right dyes for their fabrics and walk you through to get an great dye.
    WHen i bought my 2 yards of raw silk for the tabbords and obi w/ little waste fabric.(Tabbords and Obi were doubled.) Tt cost me $10.31 and shipping was free.

padawan jauhzmynn

11. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Here's a couple pics from last weekend at ComicCon:

[image=http://www.wch3.net/php/albums/Comic-Con_2002/Day_4/DSC00798__skip_scaled_640.jpg]

[image=http://www.wch3.net/php/albums/Comic-Con_2002/Day_4/DSC00797__skip_scaled_640.jpg]

I can take some webcam pics to show you the sleeves n lining n stuff.

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Jedi_Riibu, the pixs doesn't work, even when I cut and paste the address (says: Access Forbidden). :(

13. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Jedi Riibu,
    Very nice work. My problem is the pouches. I don't want cast resin, way too heavy, I'd like leather. Oh well, Not all jedi have the pouches.<G>

Padawan Mynn

14. AlexiAlexander

AlexiAlexander Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    Lined, for sure.

15. Jarsis_Stole

Jarsis_Stole Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002

Umm Jedi Riibu where did you get that pouch on your belt from ?

16. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Ok, I just got some pics back today and a couple spiffy pics show my lining.

[image=http://www.splunkyard.com/cosplay/jedi/jediriibu1.jpg]

[image=http://www.splunkyard.com/cosplay/jedi/jediriibu2.jpg]

Darth_Eagle, it sounds like you're behind a firewall. I haven't heard of anyone else having trouble seeing the pics.

17. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Those looking for pouches send me a PM, I might be able to help ya. I sure like mine :)

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    It's okay, Jedi_Riibu. Something happened to my connection last night that I can't access some websites, pictures and had a slow connection too. It's okay now. ;)

That Jedi costume looks great IMHO. And is that gal in the 2nd pix you posted holding Kero? :D

19. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, that'd be Kero-chan :) (Only $10 at one of the booths! Two years ago the same plushies were $20 .. ahh, Jedi patience pays off once again ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.