main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Punishment

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by ladka, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladka

ladka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    Theres a player in our group who always likes playing "characters who act evil". When we started we told him not to play a Jedi since it wouldn't be what he wanted but he insisted.

The Jedi he plays uses force lightening, force strike on living beings etc.... (he doesn't go out of his way to do it, but he claims his character doesn't see anything wrong with it, which pretty much everyone agrees is bad roleplaying on his part). Since I know more about Starwars then anyone else in the group my GM has asked me what actions the Jedi Council would take to punish and/or stop a Jedi from doing this short of kicking them out and blocking their ability to use the force. Any ideas?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    OK. Force Lightining????? That's really serious (for a PT Jedi, anyway).

That's what I would do: the Council bans him so he cannot gain jedi levels. He's now a fallen Jedi. Yeah, it may look harsh but, come on, a Jedi doesn't use FL against every enemy.

Explain him that if he changes his behavior the Council can choose to admit him again.

3. ladka

ladka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    We know it may get that, but my GM wants some form of punishment or two between "the council being unhappy" and "kicking him out". Some kind of punishment they would do before kicking someone out.

I should also say, telling him the "council is unhappy with you" wouldn't mean much to him.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Then wour GM has a wide array of things to do.

Exile. A Jedi liaison to report about him. Atonement sessions. No more free resources. Give him a pink lightsaber :p

Just be imaginative :) and mean [face_devil]

5. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    There are many fallen Jedi so defrocking him is a very viable option. Why not use real-world examples to try to make him change his ways a la monk.

1.Have a solo adventure in which he is sent on a special mission. He thinks it's a way to get lots of xp.
    2.He's landed on a planet and given a datapad (solar charger), feild kit and lightsaber taken away (Jedi Master with uber move object) just when the hatch closes. The data pad says thet he must complete 4 tasks before he will be picked up again. Task of humility, servitude, purification and sacrifice. All the while he's being watched from "farseeing" Jedi who are keeping an eye on the nearly fallen PC.
    3.Task of Humility is where he must take care of a wild herd of cow-like animals. They are smelly, strong and dumb. Make him fustrated and angry. In his dreams make him remember the things others can do but he cannot (grow and heal through nuturing a la farmers and doctors, creators of sculpture and droids and art. All the providers of society.). Show how happy they are in doing for others regardless of conditions because they are doing for themselves too. Once he realizes this, have him move to the next area 200km away (travel time).
    4. Task of Servitude is where he must pick up stones from one end of a desert cliff to another one 100m away. Make him roll FORT checks for exaustion and when he sleeps or passes out, have him visited by visions of people who act without question and save or help others by it. Policemen, firemen, rescue workers, great Jedi. Once he learns that he must obey and not question all the time have him travel 300km to the next task.
    5. Task of purity. He is given the tools to make a new lightsaber but the crystal he needs is beyond a cavern that only lets people through who have NO Dark Side points. He must give up his force points while in a cold waterfall while meditating to cleanse himself. The people he has killed or hurt visit him as he is meditating and speak to him asking why (very good roleplaying element and it would be good to use the other players to play these spirits. Twords the end, have them all speaking at the same time while the Jedi has his eyes closed and use fans to move wind over his face. very creepy. Once he gives up the points, he is free to make the saber (give him a +2 weapon bonus with the crafted saber instead of a +1 for his efforts so far)
    6. Task of sacrifice. He must go 1000km away to a primitive village and help them in all they require. Without using the Force. They are used to strangers due to this planet being used by the Jedi for these cleansing ordeals. After a month of experiencing their life and good hard work (incorperating humility, sacrifice and purification) he gets a call on his comlink telling him to go to a place 100km away. This is the landing site and he will be welcomed with open arms into the Jedi fold. Any points in Dark Side skills will be "converted" by training to other Force skills. Perhaps a future bonus to resisting dark side skills in the future, until he gets a dark side point that is.

If at any time he again turns to evil or darkside abilities, he gets a call to be picked up. Led into an airlock where he is gassed (odorless and colorless), and wakes up in Ord Mandell with simple cloths and 500 credits and is now banned from the Jedi order. Cruel and harsh, perhaps but they will attempt to cleanse him.

Hope this helps ladka

Gesh

6. Gorin_Zachian

Gorin_Zachian Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    I love that idea, but isn't their also a skill that would allow them to sever his connection to the force A la Verge? After all, the council wouldn't want a new force weilder that has a vengence against them to come out.

7. Jacen13

Jacen13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    One thing I would add to Gesh's idea, is having a final task which contains all four. Sortof a Jedi Trials. Test his purity, his repentance, his dedication to the Jedi Order. Have him fight something that fights dirty, all the while being tempted by the Dark Side. If he tries to use the Force to keep from fighting (Friendship, ect.), the Jedi atomatically wins. If he uses the Dark Side, or really tries to kill the monster, not disable it, he fails the test.

8. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Gesh Bomils idea really is a good one IMO.

Perhaps I am mistaken about this, as I am more familiar with the WEG version of SW RPG. But don't the dark side points build up eventually to the point of no return? In WEG after a certain amount of dark side points are accumulated, the character will turn to the dark side, and is forfeited to the GM to become an NPC. This is automatic.

Alternatively, if you can get a look at the HackMaster GM rulebook, there is a table call smart-*** smackdown, for players that are trouble making pains in the neck. Just kidding.

Seriously, though, if the player is having the character use force lightening, that automatically earns dark side points. Using Force Push against a living being gets the same, no matter what kind of manipulative talk there is that the circumstances should allow for it. Well good luck. And I am interested to know how it turns out.

9. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    nope, wotc version when your character goes dark they keep control. In the group im playing right now we have two people we are totally darkside characters.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    for starters, get rid of the rule that allows burning force points to remove dark side points, i bet THAT will stop him somewhat ;)

have a master use sever force on him, and THEN take him away to some planet to do quests, so he can't use the Force.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    for starters, get rid of the rule that allows burning force points to remove dark side points, i bet THAT will stop him somewhat

I agree, I agree, I agree ... n ... I agree.

I think the only time this should ever be possible is at the exact moment when a Jedi levels -- he has the option of -1 DSP or +1 FP AND -1 DSP can only come at GM's discretion if the player has been RPing atonement.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    hear hear! (or whichever way its spelt for that phrase)

when I GM (which isn't often, mind you), Atoning for dipping into the Dark Side takes at least one medium-to-large adventure, most probably two. Throwing yourself in the way of star wars' version of a train to save luke skywalkers life will not remove you of that DSP if you only recently dabbled.

make it complicated and TOUGH to redeem. its obvious that a 'slap on the wrist' isn't doing anything to curb him at all.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    oh, most importantly, make it necessary, talk ooc-ly about whether or not he wants to have the character remain in the republic Jedi Order, he mighta changed his mind about the character type he wants, if so, maybe let him convert (or better still, one of the dark siders u mentioned might wanna swap for a bit).

if he does wanna remain in the Jedi Order then tell him he's gotta shape up

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    for starters, get rid of the rule that allows burning force points to remove dark side points, i bet THAT will stop him somewhat

I agree, I agree, I agree ... n ... I agree.

I think the only time this should ever be possible is at the exact moment when a Jedi levels -- he has the option of -1 DSP or +1 FP AND -1 DSP can only come at GM's discretion if the player has been RPing atonement.

Add the n+1 to the "I agree" series. ;)

15. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Take the character away, now as he is a fallen Jedi he can antagonize the group. Perhaps working with Darth Sidious and Count Dooku in the war. Hed be a good villian.

16. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    WotC's Power of the Jedi, page 14, column 2 has a wonderful new Force Skill: [n]Sever Force[/n]. If all else fails, the Council removes his ability to even use or feel the Force.

17. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Sever Force sounds like something Kevin J Anderson would write. Basically a crock power. If the jedi in question seeks to atone, perhaps there is a chance at getting back into the jedi fold. However, this guy sounds like he'll play lip service to atonement, and go back to the black as soon as he encounters a nuetral-hostile NPC. Those characters are best dealt with in a perminant manor.

18. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    This sounds like the kind of character that the Council would want to keep a close eye on. If there is a Jedi that seems to be in danger of falling to the Dark Side, the Council would naturally do everything that they could to prevent this from happening. Have them send an old master to him to explain the nature of these powers and how the darkside corrupts those that use them. After that the Council could ask the other members of the party to watch this character and report to them about his actions. If the character does not change his ways, then the Council could call him back to the Temple and prohibit him from going out on adventures until he has proven that he understands what it means to be a Jedi. As a last resort, they should expel him from the order.
    Of course, if this character is still a relatively low level Jedi, then his master should already be all over him about this. If the character is a full Knight, then you have to wonder why his master was so lax in his training.

19. Arazek

Arazek Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2003
    Yes, the Sever Force alternative is a very good one.

Tell him that he must roleplay a good Jedi, and if he uses a Force Lightning or other skills giving DSP, he doesn't-as a counterpoint-gain XP for the opposition he downs.

Making him a fallen Jedi might not work; he'd instead be taking levels in Force Adept and begin using Force Lightning that way.

20. Marcussen

Marcussen Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2003
    Kick him from your roleplaying group? seems like hes so poor, nothing will help :D

21. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Might I suggest using the Stick of Pain on him? Or explaining that sometimes a character needs to die, and oh, by the way, no more Jedi for him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.