1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (21-23rd November) | Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:VIC Jedi Religion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Obi_Frank_Kenobi, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Frank_Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Hey all[:D] I am currently in year 10 and our school has this thing we do where we have to perform a persuasive speech to our class, then if good enough year level, then whole school. I was thinking about a topic today with Star Wars being the main focus. I came up with idea of arguing that the religion 'Jedi' should become known, and an accepted religion in Australia. Currently it is belived their are around 70 000 people in Aus who wrote Jedi on their census in the religion section. I do realise that most are probably just putting it down for fun (as I will):cool: and some for truely believing.

I briefly studied this and found in Britain it is a legit religion, but not in Australia... I have even read that Britain has a politician who on his maiden speech announced he is Jedi=D= I was wondering if anyone would like to help me in any way, maybe just posting their opinion on the topic, even any facts, and if their are any religious Jedis it would be great to hear from you.

2. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    so they would be Jedi in belief but not practise i guess. Who would instruct them in the way?
  3. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    PM me and I'll give you the details that I have about it.
  4. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm pretty sure Daddy Howard and his goons were set to persecute individuals to the fullest of the law who dared to put down JEDI instead of a sensible 1950s religion such as christianity or the liberal party.
  5. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You want to talk about Star Wars in front of your entire school.

*cries*
  6. Obi_Frank_Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Ey whats wrong with that? I dont really care what people think[face_not_talking]
  7. Obi_Frank_Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Ey whats wrong with that? I dont really care what people think[face_not_talking]
  8. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I never get **** stirred about liking Star Wars.

Most people think I look like a thug more than a nerd.
  9. SithLord-Mixo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    true i have the body of a Greek god, or is that of a god damned Greek? lol
  10. Quinten_JarVos Jedi Master

star 4
    Ei, My Master,

You a Thug? Never.... but I do understand being treated like a mental patient because of our license plates...

it's all good thou
  11. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    I'm with you there Quinten, although I did get a compliment recently. An older woman approached me in the car park and said "Honey, I love your number plates, did your kids make you get them?" I had to laugh, my mum and my kids were in the car. "No, my husband gave them to me, but I wanted them and have had them for over 15 years!" She laughed, "Good on you! They are fantastic!" Made my day.... :D
  12. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Number plates? I'm guessing they are Star Wars related.

I saw a Ford Falcon once with 'Milenium' or some abbreviation of it as it's plate. Pretty funny.
  13. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Theres a fair few number plates over here......evil and Quinten have SITH 01 & SITH 02. And Master Skywalker and I have JEDI 05 & JEDI 01. ;)
  14. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    When people see me in my Star Wars jacket, they say "You a Star Wars fan?"
    I say "yeah, what of it"
    They say "nuffin'...that's really cool....good on yu"

Wonder why that is? :)
  15. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    cos you are the size of a Wookiee ???????
  16. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Yeah, that could be it. [face_laugh]
  17. Obi_Frank_Kenobi Jedi Padawan

I would do any thing for for a [obi-wan] rego plate, and if i ever see any one with a [jar-jar].....:mad:
  18. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    "That's not a moon, that's LVFF" :)
  19. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    I realise this is way old.

I also realise most will have read this - Census, Religion and Jedi.

Personally I think it's dopey as. If you're really interested in them sorcerers ways, read up on the Eastern religions Uncle George based it on.
  20. Vivsta Jedi Padawan

Hey Obi- Frank! :)

I think it's an interesting topic to use! So it's star wars - for those mocking it get over yourselves - I think the idea of asking the question of what's stopping people from making Jedi a religion based on how many people have put it on the census is actually an fascinating topic. The fact that there are such a variety of views regarding it would definately give you alot to work with - for instance Scott's comment just before about it being a mix of religions that George made up is a good point to raise as well as the point of since when can film become a real cult with a religious following? What makes it so and what are the implications of this? Anyone can bag out the idea by saying 'well duh it's from a film it's not real, it's not going to happen etc etc blah blah blah' but that's a pretty simplistic argument. I think if you really research this, because its' true as you said there are a hell of alot of people that put it down as their religion on the census, i think it would be a really good topic to talk about and it would bring up some interesting notions as to what makes a religion 'a religion'. Followers are most definately one of them.

Good luck on your talk!! Let us know how it all went!!
  21. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    The concept isn't entirely without merit. Look at L Ron Hubbard (but not for too long).

But then I reckon Scientology's dopey too.
  22. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    You can also be a follower of the "Ways of the Jedi" with being a follower of the Jedi Religion.

In fact, one could arque that "Christian Values" are close to the Jedi way as well.

Being nice to people.
    Non Violence
    Chopping people limbs off....

It all fits.
  23. Vivsta Jedi Padawan

Close to Christian values??? Hmm gives a new meaning to 'feel the force'.....

I'll let myself out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.