main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi respect in the OT? Hello??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sabertrader, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    After reading several books (including all the films novelizations and several 'tweener books), plus watching The Clone Wars, I have a question.

Why doesn't there seem to be a higher level of respect or reverence for Jedis in the OT? In the PT, they seemed to be quite respected (before the purge, anyway) and even feared. But when Ben hauls out his lightsaber in ANH in the bar, nobody seems to think much of it, and Han seems pretty unimpressed.

The Jedi had been around for thousands of years, and they are, essentially, superhuman with mystical powers and lightsabers!

I mean, jeez..it's only been twenty years or so since the Purge...surely people can't have forgotten such a legacy. And then to SEE a Jedi...supposedly all dead years ago, must be an awe-inspiring site? I guess not in a spacer's bar on a backwater planet, but still...

Just surprising, that's all. There is this huge, long legacy and legendary mythos behind the Jedi, and then in the OT their presence seems just short of pedestrian.

If you can find my point, let me know. :)

Aloha,
    Dan

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    You will find out the answer to your question in T-Minus 17 days.

3. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    TLJ Edit: NO SPOILERS! Read the policy before you post. After your ban, I mean.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The trailer seems to hint at it a bit. If you don't care about spoilers, you might find an answer somewhere in the depths of 3SA

I bet most of the patrons of the cantina had a 'been there, done that' attitude. ILM should have included a few of them in AotC's bar scene ;)
    Besides, the Republic didn't exist out there (Shmi in TPM).

5. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    You got a point there on the Outer Rim thing.

6. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    that seems to be the overall attitude of all of Tatooine inhabitants.

7. Railinalduhs

Railinalduhs Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    Didnt seem to be much different in E1 when they went to the bar. people stopped and looked at them, but no one said "Wow those are Jedi.." Lets go touch them. they just seemed to be surprised at the violence, but nothing more. Han did not respect the force because he really had no respect for anything except Wookie Litter. Jabba seemed to know about the force pretty well.

8. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    read the EU, like an example from Jedi Search. Certain species still greatly respect a jedis judgement on things, while others just dont trust them

9. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Its strange that Han did not believe in the force, yet he was 10 years old when the Jedi policed the Galaxy.

[face_thinking]

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    And the Jedi got their asses handed to them. Easily. They were betrayed by one of their own and for 'impressive warriors' they went down fast. And hard. And if they were impressive warriors, why was one, Ben Kenobi in hiding like a coward? Who respects a coward?

Thats just a few thoughts on why the Jedi are not respected in the OT, not to mention they were quite arrogant and baby-snatchers. I think even in the PT, most of the Jedi were feared, and respect came out of fear, not admiration.

11. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I would argue the fact that Ben didn't get swarmed and blasted in the Cantina shows that there is still respect for the jedi.

Instead of "Holy jeez, that old guy just attacked Ponda!", they simply accept that a jedi has done what a jedi thinks is right. Everyone seems okay with this.

12. gestapoid

gestapoid Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    The majority of this post's question will be answered soon...

What can be said is that during the inter-episode years, the Empire undoubtedly ran a comprehensive propaganda program that further sought to discredit the Jedi.

13. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Or... you could just use the ANH novelization that states lightsabers were still used in certain parts of the galaxy.

Doesn't mean Jedi. Just some old coot who likes to use ancient weapons.

Probably similar to when muskets came into everyday use. Seeing someone with a sword wouldn't be too unusual.

14. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Does that mean that other people than Jedi knew how to build lightsabers or that many people stole dead jedis sabers?

15. gestapoid

gestapoid Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    They just bought their sabers at Best Buy like everyone else.

16. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    LoL. They did actually build their sabers, but sadly i'm not aware of any SW author expanding on that after the ANH novelization.

Although having everyone carry a saber would be a bit cheesy, I think that an occasional weaponmaster would add to the swashbukliness of the saga. Remember an old movie, Ice Pirates? Swords in space are cool!

17. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Although having everyone carry a saber would be a bit cheesy,

It would be fine IMO.
    After all, a Knight is still "cool", even though any traveler in the middle ages would have been armed.
    A Samurai is still "cool" even though... Well you get the point.

We just don't see them because a blaster is infinitely easier to use without training. It's an "ancient weapon", so you rightly wouldn't see too many. You won't find a lot of people using a sword today either, just because guns are easier. But that doesn't mean they aren't around.

Maybe rich people have them crossed above their mantels.

18. Sabertrader

Jul 28, 2002
    Good replies, all.

I guess you don't see non-force users with lightsabers much because: 1) you gotta build it and understand how to maintain it and 2)if you try to use one and don't know what you're doing PERFECTLY, you WILL seriously injure or decapitate yourself.

19. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    There's also the point that the Jedi had been more or less extinct for nearly 20 years. When you consider that, here on Earth, the average span of memory for the general public is about three weeks, it's not much of a leap that the general public in the GFFA would've forgotten about them.

They might still exist in some folktales or stories from old timers that nobody listened to, but most people wouldn't remember them. They'd be too busy thinking about the latest holo releases, or Imperial tax increases, or getting those condensers fixed in time for the harvest.

20. Juggalo

Juggalo Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2004
    I think the people in the cantina realise that it would be wise not to mess with Ben at that point, or they themselves migh suffer the same fate as Ponda.

Man I love that look Ben has after he slices Ponda's arm. He looks around for a second, almost like he is saying "Yea thats right, don't **** with me."

21. Jedi_Papa

Jedi_Papa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    What happened in a backwater cantina in SW is pretty much what happened in a backwater cantina in any western film. One gunslinger shoots another, the patrons suddenly stop and gawk, then they go about their business.

8^B

22. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Like don wan kihotay,thast old crazy dude who wanted to be a jedi before he went insane, and either made or found a lightsaber, and claimed to be a jedi. he was a historian, so he had the knowledge. im sure that if someone had the proper books (and some skill), it wouldnt be that hard

23. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Yeah, an dhow can Han "not believe in The Force," when back in the he day, it wasn't even a question, because there were Jedi running around all over the place?

Slimy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.