main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Jedi Robe Workshop - >> February 19 <<<

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthJurist, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    ok....we are a little more than two weeks away from this venture.....have you found a more central location...or do you settle for Mokena?

2. PAT_W

PAT_W Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2003
    1. I have access to a sewing machine that I would be willing to bring along.

2. I have no experience with a sewing machine or fabric based constructing.

3. I have access to a meeting hall that would have plenty of room, but I live two hours West of Chicago.

A mailing list was mentioned, I would like to be placed on it if possible. This sounds very interesting, if I understand this correctly, I bring the necessary materials as listed in Nostradamus? past posting, then with the help of skilled volunteers construct a ?Jedi? robe to take home that day.

1. 9+ yards of 45" wide fabric or 7+ yards of 60" wide fabric in Cotton, broad cloth, canvas, twill, cotton duck, lightweight denims, cotton-poly blends, rayon blends, poplin, suede cloth, linen, etc.

2. One 300-yard spool of ALL PURPOSE (mercerized cotton-poly blend) thread in a matching color.
    3. Straight Pins.

What time do you plan on meeting? I would expect this to be an all day event. Is there a limit on how many people may attend the event? I can?t see twenty inexperienced people constructing a quality product; I know I?d need almost constant supervision to produce something I?d be willing to claim. I?d rather come and help someone else and gain the experience for a future event than produce something shotty or incomplete. :)

3. PAT_W

PAT_W Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2003
    1. I have access to a sewing machine that I would be willing to bring along.

2. I have no experience with a sewing machine or fabric based constructing.

3. I have access to a meeting hall that would have plenty of room, but I live two hours West of Chicago.

A mailing list was mentioned, I would like to be placed on it if possible. This sounds very interesting, if I understand this correctly, I bring the necessary materials as listed in Nostradamus? past posting, then with the help of skilled volunteers construct a ?Jedi? robe to take home that day.

1. 9+ yards of 45" wide fabric or 7+ yards of 60" wide fabric in Cotton, broad cloth, canvas, twill, cotton duck, lightweight denims, cotton-poly blends, rayon blends, poplin, suede cloth, linen, etc.

2. One 300-yard spool of ALL PURPOSE (mercerized cotton-poly blend) thread in a matching color.
    3. Straight Pins.

What time do you plan on meeting? I would expect this to be an all day event. Is there a limit on how many people may attend the event? I can?t see twenty inexperienced people constructing a quality product; I know I?d need almost constant supervision to produce something I?d be willing to claim. I?d rather come and help someone else and gain the experience for a future event than produce something shotty or incomplete. :)

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Have we decided upon the location?

5. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    dunno....

6. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Sorry gang, I was out of town all weekend, I'll firm up details by Monday night and post them here (and have them sent out to the CF email list). There is no specific costuming email list, hopefully in the next week or so - I'll bug the parties responsible for setting it up.

~H~

7. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Bug, as in poke?

Cuz I'm willing to poke people, if needed. You know where you can find me.

8. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    DJ...

Just in case we get a little stuck in a lively game of "phone tag"...yes...my house is still up for grabs if you would like to use it.

I have been talking to a friend of mine who has a surger (sp?) and have asked her if she would mind coming by with that machine.

I have the following for everyone to use:

Iron and ironing board

pattern (if someone has none)

I do have a sewing machine (someone gave me)...haven't a clue how to use it...but it runs...that much I can tell you. My friend may bring her machine as well...

Sharp scissors

Straight pins

and various odds and ends...

The Rock Island does run into Mokena...if that helps anyone...I would pick up anyone who comes by train....and of course...bring you back to the train station...(Mokena isn't THAT lovely that you would want to stay)....

So...hopefully we will "link up" at some point today...

Gochi out...

9. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    A serger would be great, as long as there is someone that knows how to use it. ;) I also picked up a pattern at Hancock on Monday, the LOTR rip off one that has the Ring Wraith cloak. I don?t know how useful it will be, but better than nothing.

Ok, here?s the final details on the first ever Chicago Force sewing workshop. It will take place on Saturday, March 1, beginning at about 12 noon, at SG?s lovely house in Mokena.

As stated in the title of the thread, we will be working on the Jedi outer robes. The list of materials is as follows. For more commentary, please see Nostradamus?s post earlier in this thread.

Needed:
    Pattern.
    Fabric ? approx 6-9 yards, preferably washable
    Thread ? matched to the color of fabric
    Pins
    Sharp Scissors

To do in advance:
    Purchase or obtain above material
    Wash and dry the fabric.
    Review pattern.

**We will not go on a shopping trip for fabric or materials on the day of the workshop**

To confirm your attendance, please email me at: darthjurist@chicagoforce.org. Once we know how many people are going to show up, we?ll figure out what times everyone should arrive (if there are lots, we?ll stagger everyone?s arrival so that people are working on different phases at different times.

The workshop is open to both novice and experienced sewers. If you are new to sewing, let us know, and we?ll take some time to explain patterns, sewing instructions, fabric, sewing machines, and anything else that comes up.

Any questions, let me know.

~H~

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    .....and in my humble opinion...you need to shop for fabric "yesterday"! I have made several shopping trips to the local fabric stores and have come home empty handed most of the time......of course, I don't know what may be available at the fabric marts downtown as I have confined my search to the south suburbs....

If you end up in desperation...there is a fabric website called fabric.com
    They have some nice cotton/linen blends....and they ship fast ...I have gotten stuff in as little as two days....

11. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Your are right about the "yesterday" shopping---JoAnne fabrics had patterns on sale for $1 over the past weekend. D'OH!

THere is a Vogue in Lansing.
    16919 Torrence Ave.
    (708) 474-4200
    Perhaps that is closer to you?

The Ringwraith robe pattern is pretty good. We can work with that. It is also a larger pattern for those of us who don't quite fit into the kid's sized patterns ;)

Please try to obtain the instruction manuals with any of the borrowed machines. I can probably figure how how to set them up.

12. janicemars

janicemars Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2002
    I'm so sorry I won't be able to come to this get together. I hope someone will be taking pictures for the web for mopes like me.

A big thankyou to Nostradamus for the pattern names and numbers.

A note on "how much does it take to thread some burlap bags together." More than you'd think. I just started spinning my own wool and weaving cloth on a primitive loom this summer, and the biggest problem is making something out of it (other than a scarf or shawl) when you're done.

It frays (freys?) making doing anything other than square boxy clothes more akin to a mad scientist experiment than sewing...which of course absolutely delights me.

BTW, Joann.com had those little bitty sew-easy machines on sale for $29 for a while, and I've seen them at Walgreens for $34. If any of you guys discover costuming is completely cool ... it's a power tool, right?

13. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I may swing by. I'll bring my Jedi outfit with me so you can see Kath's work. And speaking of Kath - if I make it there, could/would you take up my robe just a bit? If it's a quick thing, mind you. I wouldn't mind it an inch or two shorter.

If I swing by, I may be the person working on an under tunic. I tried making one, and it needs work for sure, but the more I look at it, the more I don't like either the material or the color. The color for sure, since I cannot dye it. Kath or Phyl - any recommendations for under tunic material?

14. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    jeff is shrinking!!!!

15. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Jedi Jeff....I guess my first question would be are you making a cannon re-creation of one of the Jedi from the film? If so, Kathy would probably be able to answer that question. If you are just looking to make your own Jedi character then for an undertunic I would suggest unbleached muslin, indian cotton crinkle gauze (which is probably what Anakin had in AOTC) or a unbleached silk/linen. A girl from RL with a "dead on accurate" Obi-Wan costume(prequel) said the material she used was called "wool crepe"...I have never been able to find that. I personally don't wear an undertunic (Adi Galia and a few other Jedi don't have undertunics)...too hot...so I have a "thingy"...kinda like a dickey...that looks like I am wearing a layer under the outer tunic. I just can't handle all those layers...and since I am not trying to re-create a costume but making my own Jedi character...it doesn't matter.

Kathy...yes...I have instructions for the machine....the surger is out...it is too heavy for my friend to schlep...

I have already done a robe once...so I will have a full sized "mock-up" of the robe pattern that I have so that people can check the style and fit....the material that I used for that first robe is not what I really wanted, but at the time I made it (4 years ago) I jumped at what I could find...which is why I am doing a second one with the cotton/linen blend that I ordered on-line.

16. JediLeo

JediLeo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2002
    I can't wait, I need to get a pattern now and some fabric, maybe when I go into the fabric store I won't get dirty looks, this time. Why do women look at a 6'2" man so strangely when they are in a fabric store I'll never know.

17. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Jedi Jeff...
    Ordered some of the muslin as a possible for another outer tunic....don't think it will work for that...but looks like it would work for an under tunic....if you come next Saturday...you can take a look at the material....

For those who need directions to my place in Mokena...I have set up a hotmail account...

e-mail for directions at:

jedirobe1@hotmail.com

DJ ....what is the count so far?

18. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Well, including ourselves, we're up to 9 at this point.

Kathy
    Phyllis
    Heather
    Art
    Michele
    Mary
    Carol
    Jedi Jeff
    PAT_W

Anyone else?

~H~

19. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Me! I'm going to!

20. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I was thinking of going, but now plans have changed, so I can't make it.

Sorry. :(

21. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    I'll add you to the list Carrie. ;)

22. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Jedi Leo.....have you officially signed up?

Make sure to contact Darth Jurist at

darthjurist@chicagoforce.org

23. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I just sent in my RSVP last night.

I bought Simplicity Pattern #9887 and 9 yards of brown broadcloth. However, looking at the back of the pattern envelope, I'm realizing I really should have gotten at least 10 yards, shouldn't I? I'm going to try to exchange it at the fabric store. If I end up buying another 10 yards, anyone need 9 yards of brown broadcloth?

Phil

24. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I called Hancock Fabrics who said it'd be no problem to exchange it for 10 yards with the receipt.

Phil

25. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I just got back from our first Costume Workshop. I want to give a big thanks to Phyllis for hosting the event, Heather for organizing it, and Kathy for all her costume help and expertise. I'd also like to thank Phyllis' friend Sue for her help as well. I now have a very cool Jedi outer robe and have taken the first step in making my Quinlan Vos costume.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.