Jedi Robes: Fabric

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    What fabric has been used in the jedi costumes people have made? I'm looking to make one, but I'm not sure as to what fabric.

Spetty
  2. SithKittie Jedi Knight

star 1
    they used india homespun in the movies, but have fun finding that if you're going that road.

I used natural linnen for the tunics and i was really pleased with the look. For the heavy robe, maybe a wool look, or something with a similar texture. they used wool in the movies, but it's expensive and hot, so it's up to you.

http://www.geocities.com/costumes118/jedi.html

that's my little spiel on the costume i made if you wanna check it out.

*edit* i was also thinking raw silk would be nice, if you can afford it. just forgot to add that to the original post.
  3. Darth_Agony Jedi Master

star 2
    I used chocolate wool from joann fabrics for my robe and linen for the tunics.
  4. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    We used crickled cotton. It sits well, keeps you watrm in cold weather/cool in warm, and looks authentic. And it's cheap. (Bonus!)

Otherwise, I used cotton mixes and a type of cloth that looked a bit like tight weaved burlap, but cream in color, that I fouind at joanns.
  6. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
    Uh, crinkle cotton isn't for the ROBE. It's for the tunics and tabbards. Robes are usually wool. I made mine out of Denim. Check it out:
    Costume Pics
  7. lgtsbr Force Ghost

star 4
    I am using Thai Silk - my outer tunic is almost done and I personally like it - seems to be comfortable and has a real nice look and weight to it

Big thanks to HothGirl for making my costume for me - your the best Katie

Dave
  8. Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 2
    A lot of people say "robes" meaning tunics and tabbards, etc. They say "cloak" for the outer part. Then you have people who say "tunics" for the inner stuff and "robes" for the outer part. Confusing, but that's how it is.
  9. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, semantics aside, this thread will provide you with a ton of info on all parts of a Jedi's clothing.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.