main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JEDI Robes, Lightsabers, and Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Jade-Walker, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    In my process of planning for my costume for Celebration III, I realized that I really should make a lightsaber hilt.

I thought that this might actually be a fun group activity if there are a few of us that want to do it--at least to go and pick out the parts.

Here are a couple of sites to check out in preparation:

Padawan's Guide

Lightsaber Histories

I thought that we might meet at the Lowe's in Macedonia, perhaps on a Wednesday. What do you all think?

2. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    this would be a fun project to do, but I can't anytime soon. I'll try to make 1 for C3 for sure. ;)

3. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Making lightsabers is an awesome group activity. Last April I made one with Rhode Squadron. Definitely a learning experience!

I recommend the following page: Big Yellow Box

I'll have to find a picture of the lightsabers my group made to show you guys. Mine started to fall apart later, but at least I know what works and what doesn't for the next time I attempt this. :)

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Count me in! However, my schedule is whacky...so depending on when you want to get together I'll have to see what days/times I work.

5. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I'd be willing to help. I've already constructed 2, so I have some experience.

6. REBO1971

REBO1971 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I am new to these boards, but this is something I would really enjoy doing. However, I would have to get my supplies from Home Depot (my dad works there so Lowes is a dirty word. Ha! Ha!)

7. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Kim, back in October I started a thread about a new book being published in November called "Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius" by Robert Iannini (ISBN: 0071426094) which is supposed to include instructions for building a lightsaber. Unfortunately, the library where I work has not been able to purchase it yet (due to those infernal budget cuts) :( but maybe it would be worth looking at in a bookstore just to see how helpful it really is.

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    The big yellow box site was interesting. But you need like shop tools. [face_frustrated] Anyone have access to those types of things?

9. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    My group used it for design ideas more than anything else. We didn't have access to any shop tools. It was fun sawing through the pipes with a hacksaw, haha...you would have needed to be there to appreciate the humor I guess. From the site we discovered all kinds of different parts to buy that we never would have thought of otherwise. It's not incredibly difficult...mildly challenging, yes...to alter those designs for less powerful tools. :)

10. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    You don't need a dremel, (I don't have one) but after sawing my pipes, I used my dad's drill, which has a sanding bit. This smoothed down the edge. I also used it on my electrum saber, because my brass plates had bumps on their under surface, which would not allow them to lay flat unless I sanded them down. I think all I used on mine to assemble everything was a saw, the sanding drill bit, an actual drilling drill bit, and industrial adhesive.

11. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    This sounds interesting...but I don't see if it will go with any of my costumes! :D

12. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    Sounds like an interesting project however Saturdays are rarely a good day for me to plan anything til after 6pm. I use to work every third Saturday now I have off every third Sat. Sundays are better for me.

I hesitate to offer til I ask him, but my dad has a machine shop he might let us use. He lives in Willougby.

13. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    The next several Saturdays aren't good for me either, Mary. ;)

Sundays have potential, though.
    What do you all think? Perhaps Sunday Feb. 23?

BTW--Brian showed me this awesome site for working lightsabers! Parks Sabers

Now if only I had a small fortune. ;)

14. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    What do you all think? Perhaps Sunday Feb. 23?

Don't you mean Sunday the 22nd? :) I may be going to visit my brother that weekend if Continental will cooperate and offer a bargain fare. I won't know til Tues the 17th when they post the weekend specials.

I could make it on a Tues, Wed or Fri night but I usually work til 6 so I wouldn't be able to make it til about 7 at least. But its doable. I have Fri the 13th off so time wouldn't be an issue then. I can definately make it any other Sunday after 4. I told Kohl's I could work til 3pm on the rest of the Sundays this month.

BTW--Brian showed me this awesome site for working lightsabers! Now if only I had a small fortune.

You just have to win the lottery. ;)

15. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    What do you all think? Perhaps Sunday Feb. 23

I gotta work noon-6pm :(
    Sunday 2/15 and 2/29 are open for me!

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, I can make either Sunday if its after 4. :)

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    There are a lot of different reference sites out there for building a saber hilt.

If you want to build one based off of an existing movie design, you can go here and get blueprint-style measurments to use.

If you're looking for a saber with it's own EL Blade you can go to Parks or here for one ready to go.

If you want to build your own from scratch you can go to the TF.N Costuming & Props boards and just scroll down to the PROPS section.

18. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks for the info, Jedi Outcast.
    I saw the Parks site before *drools* :p But rather pricey.
    And the Random site also has very nice hilts, and quite a variety :)

19. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Random is always about nice and variety. ;)

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    How does Sunday 2/15 sound? Sometime after 4pm.

Since this seems to be the jedi-related costuming thread, I can tell ya'll Emily found a pair of brown boots (sorta like your's Kim) for a jedi costume...the girl wants to do 3 costumes! I thought Brian was bad. :)

We also found a pattern for Luke and Leia (ANH) costumes. It is a child's costume pattern, but that should be able to be altered to fit grown up kids (right?) If that doesn't work...we'll need that Simplicity pattern

WAL-MART is the place for fabric and boots! We found good Leia and jedi robe material for $1 a yard, and boots that fit the TIE pilot costume standards.

21. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I can do Feb 15th after 4pm. Is that ok with anyone else? Do we need to go for the 29th?

What kind of fabric are you buying? Cotton? Polyester? Are you going for a stain-attracting (at least for me) lighter color or a darker brown. How washable is the fabric?

I haven't sewn anything since 8th grade. 8-}

22. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Bad news. I went to Jo-Ann's and they don't carry the Jedi Robe Simplicity pattern (7438) that the RL site suggests. Neither do they carry the Simplicity pattern for the Leia robes (6673). *sigh*
    :(

23. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    I'd be willing to go sometime if schedule permits...

24. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    Do you mean that that Jo-Ann store doesn't carry it or that Jo-Ann no longer carries it at all? Is there another pattern that could be modified?

25. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Jo-Ann's said that if they didn't have a card for it, then they didn't caryy it and not to bother trying other stores. They wouldn't have it either. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.