main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JEDI Robes, Lightsabers, and Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Jade-Walker, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Cool :)
    I"m supposed to call Farmer tonight. He has a lead on belt material that he thinks would be just right. ;)
    I looked at belts a couple of days ago, but just didn't find anything that I liked.

2. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Farmer wasn't able to get a hold of the belting guy today.
    But I whipped together something out of the left-over vinyl I had from making the holster. It looks great! :D
    I like working with vinyl and my machine works with it quite well. So if any of us wants to make leather-type tabbards or Jedi belt, I'm happy to help. And vinyl is really cheap. ;)

3. DarthDurance

DarthDurance Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2004
    mmmm...leather...oh sorry...

4. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    Peat and Repeat were working on their costumes, Pete didn't pull on her cloth and make it bunch so who's left? [face_laugh]

After a day of sewing and tearing the stitches out again for various reasons Kim and I actually managed to sew a couple of seams on my robe. Kim is very patient. Now I just have to steel myself to tear out the bunched seams so I can sew them again, correctly this time. :(

The good news is Kim patched my robe. The stiches are not very noticeable unless you're looking for it. :)

Kim, I received my first email coupon from JoAnn Fabrics yesterday.

5. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. Sorry about all of the lack of progress.
    I'm glad that you got your coupons. :D

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Don't worry about it, I had a heck of a time with the double stiched seams...couldn't get my fingers to work with some of the small detail work. Guess Eric Clapton doesn't have to worry about me learning to play guitar with these hands! ;)

7. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I still came out ahead of where I started so I'm happy with that. I figure this is all a learning experince and as long as Kim is willing to be patient I'll keep going. I will finish my costume.

Thanks for the words of support Krash. :)

8. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    Well I did it. I went and bought the fabric for my tunic, tabards and pants today. Or rather I ordered it since JoAnn's didn't have 8 yards. I had my first 50% off coupon and decided if the fabric I had my eye on was still there I'd buy it.

I think Skye needs to go back to JoAnn's and smack that sales lady she dealt with when she was hunting her fabric up side the head. As soon as I told the girl I need 8 yards (they had 4) she offered to order it for me. Free shipping if I wait 2-3 weeks for it to come on the truck, $5 if I want it in a week. Of course it could of been because I said I wanted 8 yards and that is what the bolt came in but it still sounds like that person didn't give Skye very good customer service.

9. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Cool, I need to go shopping around for tunic material. Pretty sure I'm going with the hospital scrubs for pants, and since mp pants are of a different color then the tunic...it won't matter if there is a difference.

Well, the good news is...now you know (and knowing is half the battle) :D So now, we can get whatever material works best for all of us. Maybe even pool resources, and get a larger bundle of fabric?

I'm afraid to mention this...but since BMack has to come up with a tunic (he ordered his robe), he's going to need fabric as well.

10. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I also bought a pattern for scrubs. If you can't find the color you want pre-made, we can potentially make them in the color and weight that you would like. :D

11. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    Krash wait til Kim or I get another 50% coupon before buying. Or go to Joann.com and sign up for their mailing list so you can get your own. It took less than a month for me to start getting emails from them.

I have a lot of material left from my robe if anyone is interested. Even after I make myself a pair of pants from it there will be a lot left. Its a nice chocolate brown color and it will be cooler in hot weather.

You bought the pattern for scrubs? Cool. That will be very useful. :)

I thought Brian was ordering his tunic from someone. Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes him to decide on how he wants it to look? ;)

12. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    ahem... for your information mary, i'm ordering my fabric on my next paycheck and the basics are going to be very simple... so :p

the not so basics howver... hehehe... well, those are gonna be rough :D

anyways, if anyone wants to go in on a bolt of raw silk, i need 13 yds. the place i'm ordering from does cut yardage, 11 yd bolts, and 50 yd bolts. the 50 yd bolt would be under $100 before shipping. i don't know how many people need fabric, but since i'm doing all my inner robes and pants from raw silk, and that's 13 yds, we might be able to get three more tunic/shirt paterns out of a 50 yd bolt.

if you guys want, i'll get some swatches from them to see the fabrics. but as it is right now, let me know by about the 25th, cuz that's when i'm looking at ordering.

-b-

EDIT: just ordered the swatches from this place yesterday, i'll have them at the meeting on Sat...

13. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    I think Skye needs to go back to JoAnn's and smack that sales lady she dealt with when she was hunting her fabric up side the head.
    Believe me, Mary, I have considered it. [face_mischief] But a Jedi needs to conquer the temptations of the Dark Side! [face_laugh]
    I did find my robe material--finally and I like it so much that it was worth the wait. Now I just need to schedule a cutting session with Kim.

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    When do you want to do it?
    I have Tues am's, Wed's, and Friday pm's free usually for the next couple of weeks.

15. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Hi, Kim! I like your latest icon. Are you free the Wed. AM on June 30? Next Wed. I promised to help out with Vacation Bible School. I told them I really didn't think I am teacher material so they're letting me help out with crafts. Guess I can handle glue and crayons. ;) Sorry I missed you this morning.

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Hi Skye
    Yeah. Sure. I'm helping Mary that afternoon as well. But I think I can help you cut while she sews ;)
    Just make sure to wash your fabric before coming. ;)

17. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Wow...I need to start working to finish my robe again!!! :(

18. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    Brian I was referring to the pattern for your tunic and tabards. I was pretty certain you'd go with the silk. When we talked about the design you came up with at least 3 variations in about 5 minutes and was still thinking about it. [face_laugh]

a Jedi needs to conquer the temptations of the Dark Side!

You're a better person than I am. :)

Just make sure to wash your fabric before coming.

A lesson I have learned well, right Geoff and Emily?

Guess you got distracted by the pictures of your Padme costume Emily.

19. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    :D

Hey it worked out anyway...didn't it?!?! :D

20. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I picked up my fabric from JoAnn's last night. :)

I managed to get there about 5 minutes before closing and they were still polite and cheerful. Now I just need to wash it and then I'm ready to go, after I finish my robe of course. Which I managed to get quite a bit done on it the other day, with a lot of help of course.

Em have you heard from the lady making your costume yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.