main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JEDI Robes, Lightsabers, and Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Jade-Walker, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Did we decide on a place to meet for the lightsaber building on Sunday?
    And who think that they will be coming?

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    EDIT: sorry skye...my mistake!!!!

I was up till 4AM watching the 1979 Stanley Cup Finals w/dad...(Don Cherry's classic "too many men penalty")

3. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Oops! I can't make a 15th meeting which I thought was strictly for lightsaber building. But I did say I might be interested in the 21st or 28th which I understood was for robe-making? Did I get something confused again?

4. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    Ok so these sew-a-thons are on Saturdays? 21st and 28th? Kewl. I think I'll make it to the 21st. The one on the 28th will be too late for me. Got to be up with the dawn patrol.

5. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I think I found a costume that fits both my jedi and Farscape interests...
    [image=http://fei.farscape-one.de/images/CDM_092_jpg.jpg]
    HUMANS ARE SUPERIOR!!!

skye, I'll mail that fabric sample in the morning...PM me when you get it, and IF you want me to pick of a bunk of it.

When Caroline measured me (man that seems like ages ago)...I was a 66' length...45' chest...and 33.5 sleeve. So those who have expreience with using these patterns is 10 yrds of fabric going to be enough?

Bret...BTW, I still need any kinda close up of Eric (RoP) similar to his Rebel Legion picture (hood up) for his jkoc.com BIO picture. please :D

6. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Thats just wrong. That pic I mean. I'll dig up a pic.

7. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    Okay. Bret has lent me the patterns for the Jedi Robes. And I've spoken to Caroline.

What would you all (who were planning to do robes with me) say to doing them the evening of Feb Sat 28th? It would be late--like after she puts the kids to bed.

I'm interested provided I find a fabric I like by then. Will this be at Caroline's?

How late is late? I may need to be at work at 10am on Sunday. Somehow I don't think telling them I was making my Jedi Robes would go over very well as an excuse. [face_laugh]

8. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm sending a small sample to skye...if you'd like to see the stuff I (and Emily, posibliy skye) got, it'll be on hand at the meeting for everyone's review.

Somehow I don't think telling them I was making my Jedi Robes would go over very well as an excuse
    Sleep is highly overrated ;) I gotta work the next morning as well...so hopefully we can get alot of stuff done. And still be somewhat functional the next day.

EDIT:
    Thats just wrong. That pic I mean.
    Maybe, but "Crackers Don't Matter" is one of my favorite episodes...and you gotta see that scene to understand :D

9. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    So were you guys planning on working on lightsabers at all?

I don't really need to work on a Jedi robe considering I have mine from RoP, but that electrum saber I built could still use some touching up. However, I may bring my dad's drill if he doesn't care, and that could be loud. I understand if you don't want me to come and make all kinds of noise. I could easily work on it at home, but I was just thinking I would come and hang out with everyone if they didn't mind. If it is a problem, then I will just work on it at home sometime.

10. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm sorry Eric. Both sewing days will only be for those working on their Jedi Robes. There just isn't room with all the material, etc, for others to come. :(

Maybe another time. ;)

11. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Not a problem. I understand fully.

*goes off and cries into a corner*

just kidding. ;)

12. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    *views Krash's picture*

We're going to die.

In order to fully appreciate the picture he should be humming Ride of the Valkyries as you view it. [face_laugh]

I went out looking for fabric today. Fell in love with a beautiful brown twill but at $6 a yard it was way to expensive, especially for a first effort. :_| So I went to Walmart in Westlake and bought the last 9 yards of a $1 a yard brown polyester. Must be what Krash has been buying. Are we concentrating on the robe right now or is anyone going to make their tunic, tabards, obi, etc too.

If I don't go visit my brother I'll be there on the 21st and I'm game for the 28th as long as its not too late.

13. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    You should be concentrating on finding the fabric you want and then at the first meeting deciding on what style you want and cutting out the patterns. If all you get done is style, sizing, and cutting then you did alot. The sewing is the easy part. Are you going to all make the same style? Some with long tabards. Some with short. Long tunic or short? How long or short? Tabards the same color as tunic or not? The sash should match the tabard. Unless you do leather like Anakin. Will you have a 1 layered tunic or more? Will the pants match the tunic or not? As you can see there are alot of choices. Just make sure that you colors all match.

14. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    *What is this stuff...you means it's puke!* :D

I love that episode!!

So are we just making robes at the meeting, no sabers, right?!?!?!

15. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    As you can see there are alot of choices.

Choices?!? Noooooooooooooooooooooo. ;)

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    The 21st and 28th are just for the outer robes.

There didn't seem to be much interest in the lightsabers, so I think that one's cancelled. ;)

17. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    The sewing is the easy part.
    Tell me that when my fingers are premanently stitched in the Vulcan greeting ;)

Will you have a 1 layered tunic or more?
    I've been thinking about that, this material I have is fairly lightweight (which is what I wanted) and only a little bit of light gets through. Would having an inner lining be something worth looking into?

18. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Nah. If you are worried about it being too thin then add another layer of it. Make 2 tunics of the same material and wear them both. Then you just overlap them in such a way as to see them both. I think it looks better with more layers.

19. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    Maybe I should get a fabric that's slightly different from Krash/skye and anyone else? Because otherwise we will all look the same (we're supposed to be leading the clones...not looking like them)!

20. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Emily, you can always use the same fabric, but change the pattern a bit and/or add something--like an edging or something. The material that Geoff found was a great price and it would be sad to have to try to find something else. ;)

21. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    What can I say..I like being different! :D

22. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Well Valentine fabric is on sale at Jo-Ann's
    :p
    What? :confused: Not that different?
    :p

23. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    :D

...just got back from Wal-mart...found this really cool fabric for my Leia costume(hopefully enough, but that's a way different story) and also this cool one for my robe...a little more of a Jaina color to me, I'm making my Jedi costume into a Jaina one now! :D

24. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    On the advice of a friend who sews, does crafts, etc., I went to Walmart over the weekend and looked at their costume patterns. Wow! After wading through Civil War, Renaissance, Matrix (!), etc. patterns, I found two that might be adapted for the Jedi tunics and other costumes. They don't actually call them Jedi costumes but maybe that's trademarked so they can't. I will be showing these to Kim and also bringing them to the meeting Saturday for everyone's opinion. Also, my friend said that she thought everyone should probably be buying material that is 44 or 45 inches wide since the robes are wide.

25. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    the robes can be built from fabric that's 45" wide, but for people who are Krash's and my sizes, 60" is better. If you can find it.

-b-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.