main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Robes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jaina02, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediUbo422

JediUbo422 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2002
    Hi Folks,

Having some trouble finding a belt and good leather pouches for my Jedi costume. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Parks Sabers Defiance belt, but about 6 months ago I had talked to a guy named Matt that had a really great belt and awesome pouches on his website. Now, I don't want to give out anymore info than that, but I'd love to be able to get ahold of this guy to buy some of his work - it was awesome. Does anyone have any idea who I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Jedi Ubo

2. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Have you seen this tutorial?

http://www.smslabs.com/belt101

Doing it yourself would be cheaper and also give you more opportunity to customize. :)

3. JediUbo422

Feb 19, 2002
    Cool web page! Unfortunately, I'm working and going to school, so I don't have a lot of time. I don't think I'd be able to get it finished in time for Celebration II. Thanks, tho.

edi Ubo

4. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The hardest part of that belt tutorial is the buckle. Unless you actually plan on being Obi-Wan, it is very easy to bypass that part. Check out your local Goodwill/Thrift Store and find a pair of shoes with similarly styled buckles. With that out of the way the rest is quite simple - I don't plan to spend more than two nights working on my belt.

5. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    yeah unless you're incredibly patient and artistic, your buckle is gonna look like painted sculpey (believe me, that's how mine look). i'm gonna do the shoe buckle idea. maybe if you don't mind going into walmart and finding a new pair of shoes they'll have something. i know i don't really like going to goodwill, it's in a bad part of town here. i'd rather spend a little more and stay in a little nicer area, but that's me. :)

6. JediUbo422

Feb 19, 2002
    Fear...

Fear is the path to Goodwill.

Nah, it'll never work. : ^ )

Jedi Ubo

7. JediUbo422

Feb 19, 2002
    Anybody have any ideas about pouches?

Jedi Ubo

8. JediUbo422

Feb 19, 2002
    Jedi patterns are pretty much a karate gi, an obi (japanese sash), and two tabbard pieces. I think someone said Simplicity #8311 although if you read that backwards, it's 1138. So I may either have it wrong, or what I saw was a hoax.

Jedi Ubo

9. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    JediUbo;

I made my own belt in a couple hours:

found two belts at Target: one was 2.5 in wide and the other an inch. Cut the latter into two 1/2 inch lengths. Then followed the turorial on the website mentioned above. However, I used leather rivets instead of tacks. I have no idea why he used tacks instead of rivets. They are so much easier.

Used a buckle I got at JoAnns for the front and a larger one for the back.

10. JediUbo422

Feb 19, 2002
    Cool! If I get some time, I think I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Jedi Ubo

11. JediUbo422

Feb 19, 2002
    Hey Jedi Kai!

If you buckle it in front, how do you buckle it in back?

A confused Jedi Ubo

12. Tathlyn_Vrinn

Tathlyn_Vrinn Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2002
    yes!! i have had NO luck trying to find a Luke Skywalker ROTJ costume and/or pattern! sorry guys, i personally think the dirty brown "potato sack" jedi oufit doesnt look that cool!! just the thought of actually wearing the black outfit makes me wanna start playing the AC DC song! so please, whoever the is sending the info, add me to your list!

13. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Hey JediToren! I've always wanted a jedi robe! Can you pm me?

14. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    JediUbo: You don't really buckle it in front. The belt actually separates in the back and that's where it fastens around the body. The buckle in the front just fastens the more-or-less-decorative smaller belt that is fastened to the wider belt with rivets. Look in the Star Wars Ep I Visual Dictionary.

15. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes, Simplicity #8311 *is* a real pattern, and it *is* a kimono pattern. I bought it a few years ago for another costume, and then pulled it out the other day to look at the similarities between it and the Jedi tunic. It would work. Trust me it would. Yes, the pattern number is... interesting (to say the least), but that really is what it is. And, this is what I'll be using for my tunic...

kreleia ^.^

16. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    For the people who wanna make their own Jedi Robe.. one peice of advice....

BUY LOTS OF FABRIC!

Im about 53% done with my robe and i really wish i would have bought atleast 12-14 yards of fabric instead of 8 1/2 yards. So far, it looks alright....I have to stitch up the second half, then stitch the two sides together....and then make a bottom hem. I also have to sew an attack the hood.....and im doing this all by hand too i dont have a sewing machine....

My arm hurts ive been sewing since 10 this morning

17. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I actually just used an old Karate Gi of mine and used dye to make it tan. I think it turned out better than if I tried to make it myself. I just made sure I dyed it with the tabards I made so they turned out the same color.

18. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Jedi Samantha, you are far a greater woman than I. It took one night of trying to hand sew for me to break down and spend $100 on a sewing machine. Best thing I ever did. I have found a new hobby now. And trust me, you can do that robe in 1/100th the amount of time. Trust me, it's worth it.

19. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Ahhhh Jedi must have patience...which i have COMPLEATLY RUN OUT OF if i dont get myself access to a sewing machine this week, im going to target and buying the one they have there for 100 dollers...I also have to buy new fabric and start all over.. oh well i suposse...

20. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    Help! JediToren, please PM me with the info on the Jedi robes! I'm dying here!

21. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Info sent Ithorian.

22. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey guys! Thank you so much for all your help, especially JediToren! My robes are under construction at this moment! Y'all are lifesavers!

23. Ree-Yees1138

Ree-Yees1138 Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2000
    Help me, Jedi Toren, you're my only hope. Can you please PM to me all your Jedi robe info? Thanks.

24. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Me too pretty please?

25. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Ree-Yees1138: Info sent.

KirstenSolo: Sorry, your account is brand new and I have to be careful about who I send my links to. New people have been showing up at the RPF and other forums asking probing questions, leading many to beleive that LFL has some spies. Now that LFL is licensing new replica props they might be changing their "look the other way" attitude.

It's nothing personal, it's just that sending the links to one wrong person could screw us all, and then no one would have access to that info. PM me in a few weeks and I will see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.