main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Rocks is just embarrassing.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Imrahil2001, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    When I watched ROTJ SE for the very first time I thought that Lapti Nek (which I really like) would be still played in Jabba´s palace and that they just redid the Max Reebo band (CGI).

I was wrong :mad:

It´s the better piece of music (listen to the base line) and sounds "dirty". It fits much better into the setting than a stupid and badly written pseudo-musical number.

The only thing I liked better about the ROTJ SE version, was that little alien which played that electric mouth-organ. He played some blues, which was nice.
    But then ...

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Hee hee hee, Poodles. :D
    They even said he did at the Celebration II concert. :D

Oh, and it's this simple:
    "Lapti Nek" has funk. "Jedi Rocks" doesn't.

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I don't think it matter what the music is. Some people accept a song and dance number in a SW film. Some don't.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I accept them both. But I think Lapti Nek has Funk.

5. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Well, to me this was a major failing of the SE's in general. Not the song-and-dance per se, but the fact that most of what was inserted was really jarring to the mood of the scene in which it was being established. Of course the Wampa was fine--heightened the suspense, the Cloud City stuff was okay.

But the Mos Eisley bit? Do we need to see "cute humor" in a city that Kenobi just described as a hive of scum and villainy?

The Jabba Scene--well, that was written to be there to begin with. NO problems.

But then we get to Empire--and the bit with Vader walking onto the shuttle? THis was -horrible-. It destroyed the pacing of what was essentially a massive action piece (and the music, powerfully chugging along, just ceases abruptly and then re-starts).

In the same way, Jedi Rocks makes light of something that's supposed to be scary. Lapti Nek wasn't scary, but you could believe it fit in the universe. They were playing for Jabba and his cronies; the Jedi Rocks people were playing for the audience. Huge difference. It really broke the 4th wall, for me.

Anyway, rant off.

Ims

6. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    There can be only one Jar Jar.

And what is 'Jedi Rocks'?

7. JeddleMaster

JeddleMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    Yeah, every special edition I saw made me more nauseous.

Star Wars - Greedo shot and the whole Jabba thing.

Empire - The Notify my Star Destroyer and the armless wampa

And Jedi!!! That whole "musical" made me hate new digital technology with a passion... I just thank god it wasn't 3D. That song was awful. Jedi rocks sucks... Some shoudl take ILM's computers away as punishment.

8. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I also despise Jedi Rocks with an absolute, all-encompassing passion. I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.

Hate it.

The original was a great, funky, dirty blues song that could conceivably be played in a crime boss's den. It fits perfectly.

Jedi Rocks is just painful. Jar Jar was better, and I HATE Jar Jar.

Jedi's the only film that really should have been left alone. ANH was nothing but improvements, minus Greedo shooting first. Empire was made only more perfect, other than the shuttle scenes. But both of these are pretty minor and I can ignore them.

But Jedi Rocks and the new Ewok music kills me every time. The old Ewok song may have been dumb to some people, but I liked it...more importantly, it sounds like something the Ewoks would sing. It's mostly percussion, very primitive, etc., it actually fits the motion on screen, and it segues seamlessly into the credits. The new music is totally inconceivable as being played by Ewoks (so where exactly did they get all those cheesy New Age instruments?), it doesn't match the movements at all, and worst of all it doesn't lead into the credits, it just sort of abruptly stops and is cut off. Horrible. I love the new celebration footage, but...ugh. I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.

Okay, I'm done. Here's hoping Lucas includes ALL versions of all scenes on the OT DVDs...but knowing him, I doubt it'll happen.

9. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ims

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.