main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Romance in the Prequel Era *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey guys any chance you'd like to see something of a romance for Obi Wan Kenobi as a master and maybe someone else for Anakin Skywalker (I mean no offense Luke had hundreds of girlfriends before Mara)? We know Qui Gon had tal and we have heard pretty much confirmation the Jedi are a celibate order out of preference if not complete duty.

Note:

Kidi-Adi-Mundi could have been given a "waver" for his situation because there are only a very small number of women on his world and it should be noted he married exactly the woman to man ratio in that respect...no more...no less.

Also as much as he seems to care for his wives he seems to treat them as friends more than he does an all consuming love.

The woman from Rogue Planet whose the master of Vegere (I *THINK* she's the Dark Woman) is also a fairly rogue jedi much like Qui Gon if not actually more so.

It's furthermore Obvious Jedi do not SUPPRESS emotions but they do not particularly guide their actions, they are viewed I suspect as a unconcious reaction of facts...a combination of instincts, hormones, and thought processes that work on a plane different than standard conciousness.

Hence while Obi Wan was attracted to the Girl in Shadow Hunter it's unlikely he would have acted on the particular feeling...yet he is the apprentice of Qui Gon a Rogue. Personally speaking if Lucas would allow it I wouldn't be adverse at all to seeing a romance in the Jedi era for our guys.

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    In "Shadow Hunter", it was said, from the Sith perspective, that the Jedi do, in fact, surpress their emotions. Consider Darsha's reaction to her master's death (was Darsha her name? If not, then forgive me).

She repeatedly told herself that she shouldn't be feeling grief. She was trying to surpress her emotions because that, supposedly, is what a Jedi was required to do.

The Sith, in this particular novel, regard the Jedi as hypocrites. By denying themselves of emotion, they are neglecting to acknowledge one of the most powerful aspects of life (and the Force?).

The Jedi Code:
    There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

Notice the first line.

Whereas the Sith draw upon their emotion for power (namely emotions of rage), the Jedi restrict themselves from such sources.

What I also found interesting in "Shadow Hunter" was how the Jedi truly appeared to be so hypocritical. They seek to defend life and justice, yet, just a few miles from their own temple lurks the greatest crimal and poverty location in Coruscant?
    It was also said, I believe, that the Jedi only serve those with money.

Perhaps I was too enticed by the Sith perspective to recognize any Jedi defense the novel supplied. If this is the case, then I would appreciate having my points being argued (in a logical, rational fashion).

Thank you.

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, it seems the Jedi are gonna be depicted as not so shiny people in the future :

From HNN : "Jedi Refuse to Hand Over Baby Ludi

JEDI TEMPLE, CORUSCANT -- Three weeks after a formal petition, the Jedi Council refused to hand over Baby Ludi to her mother, Jonava Billane.
    Breaking the Jedi Council's usual silence on the issue, a representative issued an explanation of the Jedi Code that forbids the return of the child to its birth-parent.

"We have opened the child's mind to the larger world of the Force," explained Jedi Master Coleman Trebor. "The child is awakened, and to return it to the birth-parents at this stage would be far too dangerous. It is in everyone's best interests and safety for the child to remain in Jedi custody."

A visibly distraught Billane continued her determined campaign that saw her spend what meager funds she had to travel from Ord Thoden to Coruscant. "What about my own code?" she said to reporters on the steps of the Jedi Temple. "I believe that a child should be with her mother, and won't stop until I have Ludi back in my arms."

The custody drama began six months ago, when the child was discovered in the ruins of the Ord Thoden capital of Domitree, after a quake devastated the city. Jedi rescue workers found the child to have Force potential and took the baby girl into custody, naming her Aris-Del Wari.

Standard Jedi procedure would have required parental consent prior to adopting the child into the Jedi order, but the parents were missing and presumed dead. A month later, a convalescing Jonava Billane was found in an outskirt town, and her concerted search for her baby, which she named Ludi, has since led her to Coruscant.

With no established procedure to deal with this situation, Republic Judiciary officials are scrambling to find a resolution. Already Billane's pleas have attracted a popular following, and her formal petition to the Jedi Council, delivered by her sector's representative, Senator Boganni Hrul, made headlines throughout the galaxy.

The People's Inquest, a grassroots Jedi watch-group, has helped Billane on her pursuit. "This is just further evidence that the Jedi order needs to be held accountable to the people who subsidize its operations," said Inquest leader Thrynka Padaunete."

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well the Jedi's hypocrisy I've already addressed in another thread but my opinion is summed up as "They've already given everything including their lives so what more do you want from them?"

I don't think the padawan's personal feelings are entirely accruate in that stance either since she is just a padawan and not a Jedi master.

Besides in her situation of being hunted it's not exactly a good thing either to focus too much on grief.

as for the "baby lundi" incident let's not forget that the old Jedi Records indicate the first two years are when a child is most vunerable to the Dark Side.

I do think Obi Wan does have emotions as "The Only Witness" shows. The scenes between him and the Widow Leena are very charged and I can't help but imagine that Obi Wan and she had an encounter of some sort on the way back to her home planet.

Maybe I'm being rather tabloid-esque but I like the thought

5. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    I'm interested too...

Maybe it's just because I'm a teenaged girl who's just gotten over a crush on Ewan McGregor that started when Ep. I came out(I know-long crush-pretty sad), but I wanna see Obi-Wan getting a girl friend as well as seeing other Jedi exploring that area of themselves.

Oops, did that just come off as kinky? sorry...

Anyhoo, what's up with HNN? It's like Holonet News or whatever, right? But how exactly does it relate to Canon? I just heard about in the past 24 hours or so. Where have I been, and may I add, where did that tatoo I have come from? Somebody please answer these questions for me!!

6. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    It's supposed to be a precaution so a Jedi won't be as suseptible to the Darkside. Not that it makes any sense though. Luke's view on this is much better than the old council IMO.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Holonetnews.com is a Episode II webpage put out by Lucasfilm which publishes false newsfeeds usually in a humorous manner but which provide startling information about the situation leading up to the movie.

It's quite cool

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think it's a precaution against the Dark Side lest it is a focus issue. Basically Jedi do not marry or have children because they have so much else to do in their life that devoting such will lead one to having considerably more problems in one life and perhaps more temptation to the Dark Side as one is torn between one's time with the kids and saving orion

9. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    Skylark, if your tattoo is a picture of a water fountain, then I think you spent your weekend with me. Water fountains are so useful, and astheticly pleasing (it's an acquired taste, I suppose).

I believe one of the themes of AOTC is Anakin's forbidden love. Remember the "Forbidden Love" trailer? Or was that the name of the poster? Well, you know what I mean. "A jedi shall not know hate... nor love." Or something like that. I dunno, it's late.

10. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    I was kidding about the tatoo. It was definately funny, though-water fountains, huh? I'll have to look into that won't I?

But thanks about the holonet stuff, I'll check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.