main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jedi/Sith artillerists

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ugohr Poof, Aug 9, 2016.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Just open a repertory of powers that appeared in the EU, and have your pick. I dont' know... Morichro? Malacia? Force illusions? Force screams? Pyro- and cryokinesis? Whirlwinds? Balls of light? Anything.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A lot of credit has to go to EU writers for the invention of force powers-in the movies there are less than ten. It really shows that is some ways the EU was superior to the films.

Havoc123 likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do you want to see those and why do you think the jedi should be using them?

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Because I appreciate variety. For the very same reason you don't like to see everyone dressed identically, surely.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That was not what I asked, or at least meant to ask. I fully understand wanting verity but I was wondering if there was a special reason why you wanted to see just those powers.

Personally I don't like the illusion powers among the jedi repertoire and I like the idea of the jedi not using any flashy powers outside of the standard wuxia ones.

Also what technique is Balls of light?

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't think there is a "ball" of light" technique, I just made it up on the spot. :p

7. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    isn't mind trick technically an illusion power?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No.

9. missile

May 24, 2016
    But trickery is an illusion ain't it? makes you think or see things that aren't real right, Illusion

10. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Jedi are mystics, not wizards. I feel like their powers shouldn't be flashy at all.

Leave that to the Sith, who should be like the cackling sorcerers up in their evil towers.

Sarge likes this.
  11. missile

May 24, 2016
    Can y'all give me your definition of flashy.

Darth Invictus likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't have any problem with the "OP" powers of the EU. I do think however that the Jedi and Sith are not the kind to take support
    Roles which is basically what artillery is.

Use battle meditation to help artillery hold their ground and coordinate targeting-sure. Demoralize enemy artillery-yeah.

The Jedi and Sith IMHO should be at the front-well not if the Jedi are pacifist or Sith palpatine or vitiate types. Anything else is beneath them both.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that as far as Lucas is concerned that is all the Jedi can do. Along with the minor mental powers.

Which is a shame, because . . . yeah, boring.

I think it'd be truer to say that the EU, particularly in the pre-prequel days, overreached and got the Force "wrong".

But I can't I care, especially, because it meant I got to read stories where the most powerful Jedi and Sith ended up being demigods. And that was ****ing cool. :p

missile and LelalMekha like this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I know not everybody likes TFU "Becuz Star Destoyer!" Forget Yoda saying size doesn't matter. Yeah the force should be more than pushes and minor mental abilities.

And Demi God Jedi and Sith are cooler.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know if I would say that EU authors went too far off base with some of their powers. Maybe stuff like using the Force to drain people's life or even the battle meditation are kind of outside the boundaries that Lucas set up in the OT (but then again, even the concept of the light side kind of is, and that's far from the EU authors being the only ones to think that way).

But just using the Force to push star destroyers (not even from TFU, Darksaber did it first after all) I feel is a valid exploration of Yoda's quote, just as stuff like alchemy or dark side mutations are a valid application of "size matters not" in the other direction, for the small. If anything, I wish we had seen applications further - if some Force user really did have that kind of control over themselves, could they make a star system out of a nebula? Could they go down small enough in manipulating molecules to create life (well, I guess Plagues kind of did this). What would the Jedi view of the morality of creating life be?

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They probably are too dogmatic I'd think to explore such paths. Plagueis or Sadow would probably be happy to explore creating life ex nihilo.

Also powers like battle meditation force healing and numerous others I think give a since of wonder to the Jedi and Sith.

One of the reasons I didn't like TFA was that the Jedi and dark siders didn't seem dignified and regaled. The Jedi and Sith have abilities and connections the metaphysical in some ways I think that makes them rightly unrelatable to us mere mortals.

They SHOULD be overpowered they should be monks exploring mystical ideas of the universe, they aren't mere mortals living normal lives. That's part of the wonder of Star Wars.

Sarge likes this.